Is Alan Smith the least value for money striker ever?

Guest gggg

Guest thenorthumbrian

We paid a canny bit for John Robertson who couldn't stop scoring for Hearts but I think in about 15 games got none for us if failing memory is correct. We sold him back to Hearts and he started scoring again. Cant remember the fee but maybe would be reasonably large these days with inflation etc, though still no where near Smith I bet.

Yeah, he was rubbish. We paid £750,000 for him after we sold Gazza to Spurs. He was supposed to be our goal machine. We spunked the rest of the money on Andy Thorn and Dave Beasant, deeming it not necessary to replace Gazza because we had Ian Bogie.

We got relegated. :shifty:

He wasn't rubbish, just wasn't given time to settle in, crowd got on his back to quickly and we got all our money back from Hearts when we sold him back. The fact that the manager who bought them at the time was an absolute clown too didn't help matters. Beasant, Hendry and Robertson could have been very good players for the club, and went on to prove it at other clubs. Just awfully managed and the crowd weren't prepared to give them a chance. Loosing 4-0 in the first game at Everton didn't help matters. The whole club was a circus back then from the board through to the management. Jim Smith wanted to make his mark and brought in a bunch of has beens to try to save us from relegation while scarificing the players who could have been our future. We also got more or less our money back on both Hendry and Beasant.

The whole club was a circus back then ?

Thank god things have changed.

I read the other day (it may have been an Alan Oliver lie) that Keegan wanted to sell Alan Smith but NUFC (Wise and friends) bumped the money we wanted for him up to £2.8m and Everton pulled out of the deal.

nah, can't be, smith was always first name on the teamsheet under keegan, and it's not like he'd been keeping him out the team to protect a sellable asset recently. i mean come on, it's not like keegan had been seen scouting two strikers earlier in the window.

That fits in well with the 'Keegan can do no wrong' agenda, it must be true! mackems.gif

okay

We paid a canny bit for John Robertson who couldn't stop scoring for Hearts but I think in about 15 games got none for us if failing memory is correct. We sold him back to Hearts and he started scoring again. Cant remember the fee but maybe would be reasonably large these days with inflation etc, though still no where near Smith I bet.

Yeah, he was rubbish. We paid £750,000 for him after we sold Gazza to Spurs. He was supposed to be our goal machine. We spunked the rest of the money on Andy Thorn and Dave Beasant, deeming it not necessary to replace Gazza because we had Ian Bogie.

We got relegated. :shifty:

He wasn't rubbish, just wasn't given time to settle in, crowd got on his back to quickly and we got all our money back from Hearts when we sold him back. The fact that the manager who bought them at the time was an absolute clown too didn't help matters. Beasant, Hendry and Robertson could have been very good players for the club, and went on to prove it at other clubs. Just awfully managed and the crowd weren't prepared to give them a chance. Loosing 4-0 in the first game at Everton didn't help matters. The whole club was a circus back then from the board through to the management. Jim Smith wanted to make his mark and brought in a bunch of has beens to try to save us from relegation while scarificing the players who could have been our future. We also got more or less our money back on both Hendry and Beasant.

Hehe, this brings back the memories. I remember thinking we'd bought well in the summer, but it all went quickly and dreadfully wrong.

I think this was the same season when a certain Frank Pingel scored on his debut.

Hendrie was a canny player I thought. I remember him scoring a beauty against Wimbledon.