Coloccini and Ashley's Evil Master Plan (Mua Ha Ha..)

TRon

So, some on here accept that Ashley is in it for the money first and are happy with that and the fact that any success would come as by a by product and that by and large PL safety would be acceptable? With the strategy he is using that is the best we can hope for. If that is the ambition of Ashley and those supporters are happy to accept this then we do not deserve success.

Unfortunately Tsunami you're exactly right, some fans here are happy to cheer the balanced books at the expenses of any hope of success on the pitch. We've gone from a team who were challlenging at the top, to a team who where challenging for Europe, to a mid table team, to a team that's statisfied to remain in the top division.

This clinging on to the hope that we'll be another "Arsenal" is fanciful in the extreme.

Just how long ago was it since we were challenging at the top, you can't put that on the present set-up can you?

What the hell has my statement got to do with your point ? It's about the diminishing expectations of fans.

You implied that as the club is to be run as a business, within its means then it'll never be anything other than a bottom half club. We've tried throwing money around and that didn't work so what do you want us to do? Carry on doing so in the blind hope it works?

Its not how much you spend, its what you spend it on that counts, we've been hitty-missy for what seems like years on this score, so maybe, just maybe there are other ways to try.

Never attribute to malice what can just as easily be attributed to incompetance.  I think this whole mess is down to Ashley thinking he can take over a football club and make them a success without spending a fortune only to find out he hasn't a fucking clue what he's doing.

So, some on here accept that Ashley is in it for the money first and are happy with that and the fact that any success would come as by a by product and that by and large PL safety would be acceptable? With the strategy he is using that is the best we can hope for. If that is the ambition of Ashley and those supporters are happy to accept this then we do not deserve success.

Unfortunately Tsunami you're exactly right, some fans here are happy to cheer the balanced books at the expenses of any hope of success on the pitch. We've gone from a team who were challlenging at the top, to a team who where challenging for Europe, to a mid table team, to a team that's statisfied to remain in the top division.

This clinging on to the hope that we'll be another "Arsenal" is fanciful in the extreme.

Just how long ago was it since we were challenging at the top, you can't put that on the present set-up can you?

What the hell has my statement got to do with your point ? It's about the diminishing expectations of fans.

You implied that as the club is to be run as a business, within its means then it'll never be anything other than a bottom half club. We've tried throwing money around and that didn't work so what do you want us to do? Carry on doing so in the blind hope it works?

Its not how much you spend, its what you spend it on that counts, we've been hitty-missy for what seems like years on this score, so maybe, just maybe there are other ways to try.

You still haven't mentioned supporters expectations in any of that, and that's the point Tsunami was making and I was agreeing with. This is not another Ashley rant, it's about how we seem to have accepted a lowering standing than really we have every right to expect.

Never attribute to malice what can just as easily be attributed to incompetance.  I think this whole mess is down to Ashley thinking he can take over a football club and make them a success without spending a fortune only to find out he hasn't a f***ing clue what he's doing.

Absolutely, I think he's heard everyone saying, "you'll never make money out of a football club" and said "Bollocks, I'll show them I can make a tidy profit running a football club". Could this be one big ego trip for him, trying to prove again that he's a master in the business arena ?

You still haven't mentioned supporters expectations in any of that, and that's the point Tsunami was making and I was agreeing with. This is not another Ashley rant, it's about how we seem to have accepted a lowering standing than really we have every right to expect.

The only supporters expections Tsunami was referring to was those who are swimming against the tide on here saying that we're accepting that Ashley is only in it for the profit (we're not) and that we'd be happy to be an also ran in the league (we certainly don't), and that we accept that we'll never ever get anywhere following that path (again we don't), and you agreed with him.

The only supporters expections Tsunami was referring to was those who are swimming against the tide on here saying that we're accepting that Ashley is only in it for the profit (we're not) and that we'd be happy to be an also ran in the league (we certainly don't), and that we accept that we'll never ever get anywhere following that path (again we don't), and you agreed with him.

I give up. You are obviously having difficulty reading.

I give up. You are obviously having difficulty reading.

Give over man, try reading it yourself from the 1st quoted post.

The key word here is ambition - and, sadly, we really don't seem to have any. 

To compete at a high level in the Premiership, we'd need to line up all those important little ducks; finances, ambition, teamwork, and quality (there are probably more - I really can't be arsed to think about them all).  Anyway, it's not about getting one, two, or even three of those aspects right - we need all of them singing sweetly to succeed.  Fail with any one of them and it's not like there's just a small part of the puzzle missing...the whole thing is broken.

If we don't have ambition (and the rest), the simple truth is we will either tread water with the rest of the also-rans in mid-table mediocrity, or begin to slide down the table.

Transfer-wise (pun intended), we've pretty much broken even over the last few transfer windows.  Although we do now seem to be doing some sensible things (trying to cut back the wage bill, picking up transfer bargains, etc), our squad depth is paper-thin.  I really do worry that Ashley sees this purely as a business and nothing else.

But it's not, it's football. It's about passion.  It's about Newcastle United.  Anyway, it's not Ashley's team - it's my team, and your team.  And we'll be here long after Ashley has recouped his cash and moved on to another business.