Geordie Strikers In Bother

Thespence

Strikes me as being a bit of a prat tbh.

Can't understand young lads who have fantastic opportunities to progress in the game and just piss it up and get into bother.

Seems to be par for the course with many young footballer's today, sadly. Big Time Charlie syndrome.

I don't know whether it's just because we are more aware of it, but the big time attitude problem does seem to be something that effects British players in this country more than the young foreigners.

I read something from Rio Ferdinand talking about his own bit of troubles when he was young and coming up.  Mostly that the money and attention goes to a young man's head quickly, if he's not got just the right sort of people around him to keep his feet on the ground.  He contrasted himself, circa the 1998 World Cup, when he was nineteen, with Michael Owen at the same WC -- came to the conclusion (Rio's, not mine) that Owen's always had his family/people around him that kept him focused on being a footballer, not a celebrity.  Owen himself has said that young British players have crazy salaries from 16-17 years of age these days, as no club wants to miss out on the "next Rooney" or the "next Gerrard" or whatever.  Owen and Gerrard, being Liverpool youngsters, would have made about 43 quid per week at 16, btw.  At 17, I think Owen was on about 50k per year.  I wonder what Carroll/a young English striker today is on?

Yeah there's a lot to be said for the club the players are at, not just for their footballing development, but for their personal development too.  Liverpool and ManU in particular seem to be able to keep their young players feet on the ground and focused on reaching their potential.

Although to be fair, while it's right for us to expect a certain level of behavior from footballers in the public eye, what 16 or 17 year old in this country wouldn't develop a huge ego and go a bit out of control given the huge amounts of money thrown at them?

Strikes me as being a bit of a prat tbh.

Can't understand young lads who have fantastic opportunities to progress in the game and just piss it up and get into bother.

Seems to be par for the course with many young footballer's today, sadly. Big Time Charlie syndrome.

I don't know whether it's just because we are more aware of it, but the big time attitude problem does seem to be something that effects British players in this country more than the young foreigners.

I read something from Rio Ferdinand talking about his own bit of troubles when he was young and coming up.  Mostly that the money and attention goes to a young man's head quickly, if he's not got just the right sort of people around him to keep his feet on the ground.  He contrasted himself, circa the 1998 World Cup, when he was nineteen, with Michael Owen at the same WC -- came to the conclusion (Rio's, not mine) that Owen's always had his family/people around him that kept him focused on being a footballer, not a celebrity.  Owen himself has said that young British players have crazy salaries from 16-17 years of age these days, as no club wants to miss out on the "next Rooney" or the "next Gerrard" or whatever.  Owen and Gerrard, being Liverpool youngsters, would have made about 43 quid per week at 16, btw.  At 17, I think Owen was on about 50k per year.  I wonder what Carroll/a young English striker today is on?

Yeah there's a lot to be said for the club the players are at, not just for their footballing development, but for their personal development too.  Liverpool and ManU in particular seem to be able to keep their young players feet on the ground and focused on reaching their potential.

Although to be fair, while it's right for us to expect a certain level of behavior from footballers in the public eye, what 16 or 17 year old in this country wouldn't develop a huge ego and go a bit out of control given the huge amounts of money thrown at them?

I suppose that's what seperates the players who don't make it and the ones who get their heads down and become successful pros.

Hes the white Shola.

Huh? ???

What the f*** is that supposed to mean?

Shite at football kept due to where he was born.

Ameobi was born in Nigeria...

Sorry for splitting hairs but seems like everyones being a cunt on here recently =]