Newcastle confirm interest in Ferguson

Thespence

Guest Phil K

Appease ?

I'd say more like desperate.

Poor Kinnear reminds me of Oliver Twist going to Ashley with his begging bowl - "Please sir, I want some more"

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr166/PhilK001/Publication1.jpg

obviously you would rather we ended up where leeds were instead of trying to build over a period of 5/10 years.  If we actually can bring in good young talent (i.e. Guttierez, Guthrie, Bassong) and do that on a continual basis rather than wasting money on players like Luque, Bramble, Viana, then we will succeed in time.  At least for the first time in years the club is safe Financially with assets such as Shay Given who we CAN afford to sell.

Funny you should put it that way: Luque and Gutierrez were about the same age when signed by us, none of them young, whereas Bramble and Viana were both younger than Guthrie and Bassong. Viana was also obviously a much better talent than Guthrie. Too bad we failed to develop him.

Guest toonlass

How the heck does JFK think that Barry Ferguson is going to improve our team. 5 years ago he was a canny player but he is Nicky Butt-esque now. I love "Wee Barry" but I think his level is the SPL, especially now he is in his 30's.

Guest jonlane86

obviously you would rather we ended up where leeds were instead of trying to build over a period of 5/10 years.  If we actually can bring in good young talent (i.e. Guttierez, Guthrie, Bassong) and do that on a continual basis rather than wasting money on players like Luque, Bramble, Viana, then we will succeed in time.  At least for the first time in years the club is safe Financially with assets such as Shay Given who we CAN afford to sell.

Funny you should put it that way: Luque and Gutierrez were about the same age when signed by us, none of them young, whereas Bramble and Viana were both younger than Guthrie and Bassong. Viana was also obviously a much better talent than Guthrie. Too bad we failed to develop him.

The point you're missing is we spent £6.5m more on Viana who couldn't cut it, and £6m more on Bramble then Bassong.  And both the players we have now look better talents, don't get me started on the £5m less on Jonas who is 10 times the player Luque ever was.  We are spending wisely and getting better talent for it.  If we continue in that vain we can succeed, but its going to take time.

The point you made was that we weren't bringing in young players before, and the examples you used contradicted your point. And Titus Bramble didn't cost £6M by himself, even if I "missed" the point you didn't make. And a further point you didn't make is that the young "talent" Xisco cost quite a bit, but seems a far worse buy than Viana in terms of value for money. One could also question how on earth you think we can succeed without improving the squad.

And no, Guthrie isn't better than Viana.