Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

These latest figures don't make good reading and show what a mess Shepherd left us in but they do show a club shorn of debt (other than to its owner which we can ignore for the time being) which makes us one of the very few in the league in that state iirc.

No, they show that at 30th June we were free of debt, now however we have a mortgage with Barclays again for all we know it could be for more than the original was.

Yeah finance of that magnitude from UK banks is pretty easy to get hold of at the minute. ???

Are you comfortable with investing not paying the debt and still getting relegated? I imagine with high wages, high debt, lower revenue it'd be Ashley's repsponsibly to foot the entire bill.

Not paying what debt? I'm comfortable not giving Mike Ashley his money back yet, yes. I don't expect his meagre £600m  has him buying the Asda SmartPrice stuff just yet.

We won't agree because we have differing views of the squad. You think Ashley is going to get his chequebook out and that we'll stay up, I think he won't and we'll go down. We'll see in May - I simply can't get my head round the amount of people with their heads in the sand. One look at the form guide and the fixture list (available at all good paying fanzine websites) should show you that relegation is more likely than not at this moment in time. From that point of view, unless he can find a top class manager happy to be let around by the hand by Dennis Wise (and a witch doctor who can fix up Oba and Beye right this second), yes, I'd rather take the risk of strengthening and I don't give two fucks if Ashley has to foot the bill because as owner, it'll be his fault and his responsibility.

:lol:

Fair enough.

Although if we sign a couple of decent players this window (as has been hinted) will it chage your view at all?

Are you comfortable with investing not paying the debt and still getting relegated? I imagine with high wages, high debt, lower revenue it'd be Ashley's repsponsibly to foot the entire bill.

Not paying what debt? I'm comfortable not giving Mike Ashley his money back yet, yes. I don't expect his meagre £600m  has him buying the Asda SmartPrice stuff just yet.

We won't agree because we have differing views of the squad. You think Ashley is going to get his chequebook out and that we'll stay up, I think he won't and we'll go down. We'll see in May - I simply can't get my head round the amount of people with their heads in the sand. One look at the form guide and the fixture list (available at all good paying fanzine websites) should show you that relegation is more likely than not at this moment in time. From that point of view, unless he can find a top class manager happy to be let around by the hand by Dennis Wise (and a witch doctor who can fix up Oba and Beye right this second), yes, I'd rather take the risk of strengthening and I don't give two fucks if Ashley has to foot the bill because as owner, it'll be his fault and his responsibility.

Fair enough.

Although if we sign a couple of decent players this window (as has been hinted) will it chage your view at all?

Not really. It's January 25th, signings are not looking likely and we're 2 points off 20th with a very difficult run-in. If we stay up I'm not going to praise him for saving us when he's the one who got us into this bother in the first place.

If he pushes on in the summer with a real manager and funds, I might think about putting up with him even if I don't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Fair enough.

Not really. It's January 25th, signings are not looking likely and we're 2 points off 20th with a very difficult run-in. If we stay up I'm not going to praise him for saving us when he's the one who got us into this bother in the first place.

If he pushes on in the summer with a real manager and funds, I might think about putting up with him even if I don't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Sorry Wullie, but that's one of the most short sighted, narrow minded things I've ever read on here.

Fair enough.

Sorry Wullie, but that's one of the most short sighted, narrow minded things I've ever read on here.

He is, man. Not the only one but most certainly the main culprit - like Shepherd, the man pulling the strings has to take the blame.

I know you like to defend him but when will you give up absolving him of blame? When we're lining up at Blackpool next season?

Fair enough.

He is, man. Not the only one but most certainly the main culprit - like Shepherd, the man pulling the strings has to take the blame.

I know you like to defend him but when will you give up absolving him of blame? When we're lining up at Blackpool next season?

I've never absolved him of blame, he's made some monumental fuck ups. ???

That part of yours & other people's problem, if you don't blame him entirely for eveything people accuse you of hating Keegan, loving Ashley.

Fair enough.

And you're perfectly entitled to that opinion.  :thup:

So if he pays off the debt, and saves us from relegation and adminastration and appoints a good manager and invests a decent amount in the summer you'd "put up with him"?  :lol:

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

Well then we agree. His monumental fuck ups have led us to where to we are now.

Fair enough.

Yep, should never of appointed Keegan in the first place - stupid mistake.

Guest fading star

Why is the debt that we had under Freddy able to be used by Ashley as an excuse for our lack of spending though..

If we hadnt of had debt then wouldnt any new owner have just had to pay more for the club based on whats being said here ?

Its all the same in the end right

Ashley knew what he was getting when he bought us.. ?

Simple isn’t it. NUFC’s debts were reflected in the asking price.  If the club had been debt free it would have been worth in excess of £200m. Ashley got what he paid for and his endless whinging about the debts is pathetic.

Fair enough.

And you're perfectly entitled to that opinion.  :thup:

So if he pays off the debt, and saves us from relegation and adminastration and appoints a good manager and invests a decent amount in the summer you'd "put up with him"?  :lol:

Fair enough.

He should have done that two years ago when he arrived. Instead he's led us to the brink of relegation. I'm not about to start rimming him for getting us back to square one.

I don't trust him and in an ideal world, he'd have nothing whatsoever to do with NUFC.

Fair enough.

If you think he has led us there you're being incredibly naive.  We were well on the way before he even got involved.  That's like blaming Ken Bates for Leeds being in League 1.

Fair enough.

I agree in terms of the ludicrous plan he had for the club. If he hadn't we'd probably have gone down last year of course.

Why is the debt that we had under Freddy able to be used by Ashley as an excuse for our lack of spending though..

If we hadnt of had debt then wouldnt any new owner have just had to pay more for the club based on whats being said here ?

Its all the same in the end right

Ashley knew what he was getting when he bought us.. ?

Simple isnt it. NUFCs debts were reflected in the asking price.  If the club had been debt free it would have been worth in excess of £200m. Ashley got what he paid for and his endless whinging about the debts is pathetic.

Fucking hell.  When? :lol:

Fair enough.

If you think he has led us there you're being incredibly naive.  We were well on the way before he even got involved.  That's like blaming Ken Bates for Leeds being in League 1.

I don't agree, I think he's done the majority of the damage and accelerated the slide (and it was already a slide, although we had finished 7th a year earlier, so by no means an unstoppable one). He's been here the same time as Lerner has at Villa and they were in a very similar state.

We were in a horrendous state financially but he paid most of that off as soon as he got here so what else is there to look at in terms of what has done the damage?

Fair enough.

I don't agree, I think he's done the majority of the damage and accelerated the slide (and it was already a slide, although we had finished 7th a year earlier, so by no means an unstoppable one). He's been here the same time as Lerner has at Villa and they were in a very similar state.

We were in a horrendous state financially but he paid most of that off as soon as he got here so what else is there to look at in terms of what has done the damage?

Aye he's paid it off which is something Lerner didn't have to do at Villa, amazing you can't see the difference between the state of the two clubs.  All due to a few years of horrendus financial mismanagement.  The fact is the rot set in long before Ashley arrived.

Since Ashley came in we've also had Mort, Keegan & Llambias doing the day to day running of the club and until we know the full facts the three of them are potentially just as culpable as he is.

Guest fading star

We won't agree because we have differing views of the squad. You think Ashley is going to get his chequebook out and that we'll stay up, I think he won't and we'll go down. We'll see in May - I simply can't get my head round the amount of people with their heads in the sand. One look at the form guide and the fixture list (available at all good paying fanzine websites) should show you that relegation is more likely than not at this moment in time. From that point of view, unless he can find a top class manager happy to be let around by the hand by Dennis Wise (and a witch doctor who can fix up Oba and Beye right this second), yes, I'd rather take the risk of strengthening and I don't give two f***s if Ashley has to foot the bill because as owner, it'll be his fault and his responsibility.

Fair enough.

I've never absolved him of blame, he's made some monumental f*** ups. ???

Well then we agree. His monumental f*** ups have led us to where to we are now.

Aye he's paid it off which is something Lerner didn't have to do at Villa, amazing you can't see the difference between the state of the two clubs.  All due to a few years of horrendus financial mismanagement.  The fact is the rot set in long before Ashley arrived.

Since Ashley came in we've also had Mort, Keegan & Llambias doing the day to day running of the club and until we know the full facts the three of them are potentially just as culpable as he is.

The difference is clear, Lerner knows what he’s doing and Ashley doesn’t.

Fair enough.

Was having to pay the debts off due to financial mismanagement or due to Ashley not doing his homework? I accept that a certain amount of the debts had to be paid with his own money because we were operating at a loss but:

a) the majority seems to have been the stadium loan, which is pure and simply Ashley not doing due diligence. That's his fault.

and b) did he have to pay all the debts off in one whack? Couldn't he have just paid the agreed repayments rather than paying them all off, which is what Lerner started doing despite their very similar debts? I don't know the answer to that, you should know better than me.

Re: the people at the top, Ashley hired them, so he has to carry the can.

We won't agree because we have differing views of the squad. You think Ashley is going to get his chequebook out and that we'll stay up, I think he won't and we'll go down. We'll see in May - I simply can't get my head round the amount of people with their heads in the sand. One look at the form guide and the fixture list (available at all good paying fanzine websites) should show you that relegation is more likely than not at this moment in time. From that point of view, unless he can find a top class manager happy to be let around by the hand by Dennis Wise (and a witch doctor who can fix up Oba and Beye right this second), yes, I'd rather take the risk of strengthening and I don't give two f***s if Ashley has to foot the bill because as owner, it'll be his fault and his responsibility.

Fair enough.

The difference is clear, Lerner knows what hes doing and Ashley doesnt.

We're talking about before they took over numbnuts O0

Fair enough.

The difference is clear, Lerner knows what hes doing and Ashley doesnt.

We're talking about when they took over numbnuts. O0

You're right - relegation a year earlier wouldn't have made much difference overall.

Even if someone else had kept us up do you honestly think as many STs/3 year deals would have been sold?

The latter is probably moot given the number of renewals that won't be happening this summer.

You're right - relegation a year earlier wouldn't have made much difference overall.

Even if someone else had kept us up do you honestly think as many STs/3 year deals would have been sold?

The latter is probably moot given the number of renewals that won't be happening this summer.

Guest fading star

Fair enough.

The difference is clear, Lerner knows what he’s doing and Ashley doesn’t.

We're talking about before they took over numbnuts O0

I know. Mr Lerner knew what he was doing when he bought Villa, Ashley clearly had no idea what he was doing when he bought NUFC. Do I have to spoon feed you everything?

Fair enough.

Was having to pay the debts off due to financial mismanagement or due to Ashley not doing his homework? I accept that a certain amount of the debts had to be paid with his own money because we were operating at a loss but:

a) the majority seems to have been the stadium loan, which is pure and simply Ashley not doing due diligence. That's his fault.

and b) did he have to pay all the debts off in one whack? Couldn't he have just paid the agreed repayments rather than paying them all off, which is what Lerner started doing despite their very similar debts? I don't know the answer to that, you should know better than me.

Re: the people at the top, Ashley hired them, so he has to carry the can.

The bit in bold is over-exaggerated a lot more than it should be tbh, people go on as if he didn't even get a copy of the accounts before making the decision to purchase. 

The question that people neglect to ask is who tied the club into that change of ownership clause & why?  The answer being to protect their investment despite the fact that it was going to potentially fuck any new investor over, regardless of whether they knew about it or not.

The level of the debt & the structure of it is down to financial mismanagement without a doubt.

That's what I suggested somewhere earlier in the thread - if he did come in with the intention of spending a bit on transfers then he should have stuck to that plan while the non-compulsory debt was serviceable at a reduced amount. As others have suggested his failure to realise how important the first team is seems to be his blind spot.