Say Ashley buggers it up...

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

Dowie - I think he's always been the Plan B

I didn't realise Ashley had a Plan A tbh.

I struggle to think of any alternatives if Shearer turns us down.

Steve Bruce looks like he is going to Sunderland which means the Wigan job would be free and there are rumours about Martinez going there - they are a premiership club and his former club, so you would think that would sway him.  I would like Owen Coyle but he seems to have the choice of Burnley in the Premiership or Celtic.  Ketsbaia has just got another job.  I don't think Coppell would want the job and I don't think Curbishley would do much here or be that inspiring.  Although I could imagine the latter two both at Wigan and probably more suited.

The other thing that worries me is if Shearer turns the job down, that doesn't send out a good message to prospective managers about support from the owner.  Alternatively, if another manager is happy with the conditions, then that would make me question their motives and ability and whether they really appreciate the work required.