If Martin o Neill

Guest Hibbits left foot

Daft as it sounds, from February to May we were on a high with Roeder and picking up decent results with a previously crap team. While O'Neill is undoubtedly the better manager, is it not possible that Villa are experiencing the same thing? Just a thought.

Possibly, but I don't think so. Like Ferguson and all the best managers, O'Neill has a knack of keeping players on their toes. The challenge for any manager is sustaining the players' interest after the initial novelty has worn off, and keeping their motivation on a high. O'Neill gets under the players' skin and keeps them going.

Daft as it sounds, from February to May we were on a high with Roeder and picking up decent results with a previously crap team. While O'Neill is undoubtedly the better manager, is it not possible that Villa are experiencing the same thing? Just a thought.

Possibly, but I don't think so. Like Ferguson and all the best managers, O'Neill has a knack of keeping players on their toes. The challenge for any manager is sustaining the players' interest after the initial novelty has worn off, and keeping their motivation on a high. O'Neill gets under the players' skin and keeps them going.

And when Fergie finally retires,MON won't be seen for dust as he hotfoots it to the Theatre of "cheese sandwich" Dreams-thats why he wouldn't sign Lerners offer of a long term deal.

And when Fergie finally retires,MON won't be seen for dust as he hotfoots it to the Theatre of "cheese sandwich" Dreams-thats why he wouldn't sign Lerners offer of a long term deal.

His contract is a total red herring. He had a one year rolling contract at Celtic as well.

FWIW i don't think he'll ever be Man United manager, that doesn't strike me as the sort of organisation that would be prepared to give MON the total control he obviously demands in his jobs (and is probably the same reason he didn't wind up at Newcastle). I also strongly suspect United will appoint either from within or a previous player. The one job I might worry about MON leaving for is the England one.

Any anyway, we're enjoying having him far too much right now to give even a second though to the possibility of him leaving at some point.

His contract is a total red herring. He had a one year rolling contract at Celtic as well.

FWIW i don't think he'll ever be Man United manager, that doesn't strike me as the sort of organisation that would be prepared to give MON the total control he obviously demands in his jobs (and is probably the same reason he didn't wind up at Newcastle). I also strongly suspect United will appoint either from within or a previous player. The one job I might worry about MON leaving for is the England one.

Any anyway, we're enjoying having him far too much right now to give even a second though to the possibility of him leaving at some point.

He signed a 3 year contract when he joined Celtic.

He signed a 3 year contract when he joined Celtic.

And then switched to a rolling contract. He signed the rolling contract when given the job by Ellis. He has since said, when asked about it, numerous times that he'd be happy to sign a longer contract now Lerner is in charge.

At the end of the day, if a club wants rid of a manager, or a manager wants out, contracts matter zilch.

I was just picking up on your comments in the other thread when you said he's always operated that way.

I personally couldn't care less about O'Neill or Villa.

Fair enough. You might want to consider avoiding threads entitled "Martin O'Neill" then.

;-)

I was just picking up on your comments in the other thread when you said he's always operated that way.

I personally couldn't care less about O'Neill or Villa.

Fair enough. You might want to consider avoiding threads entitled "Martin O'Neill" then.

;-)

It passes the time reading how some are still trying to make out he's shit just because they don't like to admit they're wrong. bluebiggrin.gif

It passes the time reading how some are still trying to make out he's shit just because they don't like to admit they're wrong. bluebiggrin.gif

I suppose i can understand them really, though, benefit of hindsight and what not.

He's mainly a motivator, to be honest, I reckon the only similar (availabalish) manager in the Prem who works on those lines is Allardyce. I'd love to see him get the Toon job, I reckon he'd be made for the job, and he'd get results.