Newcastle United 5 - 0 West Ham United - 05/01/11 - post match reaction from p35

Dave

Agree with you mainly merlin, but a bit harsh on Ranger surely? His progress has been pretty good so far, and I don't get the sense he isn't trying.

He's only been involved in very limited situations and for a few minutes at a time - a difficult thing for any striker, never mind one that's so young. The miss was terrible, but let's not overstate its importance... it happens to everybody.

Agree with you mainly merlin, but a bit harsh on Ranger surely? His progress has been pretty good so far, and I don't get the sense he isn't trying.

He's only been involved in very limited situations and for a few minutes at a time - a difficult thing for any striker, never mind one that's so young. The miss was terrible, but let's not overstate its importance... it happens to everybody.

Absolutely right Ian W, missing sitters is just part of any striker's lot and overall his progress is decent and he should become a good PL player.

I think a more general thing with Ranger has been his lifestyle tardiness and him coming off the pitch after we've been beaten, clutching an opponent's "trophy" shirt with a smile on his face.

These are bigger issues in his development than missing an open goal and it seems that Pardew is managing him accordingly.