Having patience with our players

Lotus

Enrique was slated. Often. Anyway, that's not the point. Who do you think will prove the current perception wrong?

Guthrie?

I used to think Guthrie was pretty decent and had some real potential. It's been a while since I thought that, though.

That said, of those "black sheep" you list I think he is the most likely to make the "good books".

Oh, I also endorse the "Ranger is a muppet" contribution...

This thread is dying for some golden posts to be re-quoted ;)

I actually had a look through the Enrique thread but there is a section missing from 2007 (August i think) to 2010 (might have been March). Or i was in the wrong thread!

Don't really see the value in embarrassing posters with past comments (unless they take it well). I guess the point is that some players need a bit of time to develop without pressure on them all the time. There's been times when i've wondered if letting Colo go would be best all round, same for Barton. Times when i thought Carroll might turn out to be nothing much at all. Oddly, i'm quite optimistic about Ranger but that's more heart than head talking.

I wonder how many Spurs fans had any idea what kind of player Bale was going turn into. They never used to win with him in the side! He looked worse than ordinary and LB and without the class needed at LW. Seemed like he was dropped, got his head down, trained hard, improved, pushed his way back into the side and now look at him! What went in his favour was that they could play without him. They had cover, a squad.

Players are always gonna get slated if they've had a shitter, some people are just like that. IMO Enrique and Colo etc weren't universally slated by people because they had at some point actually had solid games- or at least shown some promise. Players like Perch havn't had this, and it suggests they're out of the depth.

always believed in enrique

best i don´t rate at all....offers the same as shola and maybe caroll.....but weaker than both! Think we need someone who offers us something different. He will never go past 2-3 defenders and make a goal out of nothing! He is very welcome to prove me wrong!

At the moment if prefer to see løvenkrands partner shola and caroll, instead of having best partner them....find them too similar!

Colo's first season was a bit of a shambles, and he has benefitted enormously from his sabbatical in the Championship. He's now found a way of adjusting to the greater physicality and pace of the Premiership, and he's making a good contribution. We're also not asking him to do what he's not so good at - ie marking the opposition's danger men at set pieces.

Whether overall he was a good buy is a different matter, because he wasn't the kind of defender that we needed at the time when Faye went. He wasn't the only player who struggled, but we did pay a bit of a price for sticking with him through his learning curve.