Plastic Fans and Pliable Allegiances

Vinny Green Balls

I wish I could switch alligances for any of the teams I follow in any sport but I can't, trust me I have a pretty motely crew:

NUFC of course

Dolphins in the NFL

Mariners in MLB

Falcons in Rugby

No idea why I follow the Mariners, I've never even been to Seattle, but kind of lost interest in baseball over the last few years, so it's not a big deal that they stink to high hell.

The Falcons gave me my last real success as a fan, I would go to all the home games at Kingston Park during that era of League win and 2 cups. Unfortunately they've reverted back to mediocraty from where they came.

The Dolphins, oh the Dolphins, they hurt as much as the Toon do these days. Two back to back 6-7, an unexciting brand of football that fits perfectly with the head coaches character. I'm hoping in many ways we sink so badly next year, because there's a franchise QB coming out of College call Andrew Luck who's the only thing I think capable of returning us to some level of competitveness. But we'll have to be picking number 1 in the draft to get him. We'll also get a proper head coach too. The only thing for us Dolphinfans to cling onto is the only team in NFL history with a perfect season, but that was back in 1972 !!!

And of course the toon. The only trophy in my lifetime was lifted 1 month after I was born. Every year it's the same old shit of self distruction, promise unfulfilled and every year we keep coming back for more. Why ??  I fucking hate this team but love them more than anything, like a wife towards an abusive husband I guess. Trouble is there's no hope for a trial seperation let alon a divorce, the dye has been cast, and I'm stuck with them like it or not.

I think some of the observations have been fair, There's a lot of guys out there like Mike and I, but I seem to notice more that are very casual about their support. In fact, the entire Detroit area is guilty of it when the Pistons made their run a few years ago, suddenly everybody was a Pistons fan when they were getting 11,000 people for the last decade. Similar with the Tigers, and if the Red Wings ever go down, I wouldn't be surprised if the fans jumped ship. I don't think there's any doubt for most Americans it's more about entertainment than it is passion, especially in the baseball example. There's 81 home games per season, it's summer and families are out to take their kids, etc. Any break during a basketball proves we're more about entertainment, just look at all the fucking t-shirt cannons.

College football has plenty of diehard, passionate fans.  The Deep South lives and breathes for their high school and college football.  For years, the only person greater than Jesus to my grandad was Bobby Bowden.  On baseball, you've got Red Sox fans.  In the NFL, you've got the Bears, Steelers, Packers.    So the passion is there, but only really entrenched in relatively small regions. 

As a Sacramento Kings, San Francisco Giants, and NUFC fan, I have had to endure a combined 150 years of futility until the Giants won it all this past year. I really don't think that a ManU fan will derive as much joy from winning the League as I did when one of my teams finally won something, and in a fairly unexpected manner.

As a Sacramento Kings, San Francisco Giants, and NUFC fan, I have had to endure a combined 150 years of futility until the Giants won it all this past year. I really don't think that a ManU fan will derive as much joy from winning the League as I did when one of my teams finally won something, and in a fairly unexpected manner.

I honestly didn't know what to do when the Giants won the World Series.  35 years of heartbreak.  That utter shit World Series in 2002 when Dusty Baker snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  Even when we were winning 3 games to 1, in the back of my mind I still expected us to blow it.  And that fucking team.  Who would have guessed that they were going to win the World Series, let alone be in it? 

Guest VegasToon

You live in Sacramento?

Baseball is great in other ways.  Go to Pac Bell Park.  Get absolutely drunk.  Watch your buddy make a complete ass of himself.  Every once in awhile, focus on the movement out of the corner of your eye, that movement being the actual game.  Watch a few drunk idiots get arrested when the Dodgers are in town.  Drink more.  Barely remember the score the next day. 

Dont know why this thread has turned into Brits slagging American sports fans for their supposed lack of passion and Americans defending themselves tbh, its daft. I have watched the NFL for many years and more recently some NBA and I can say that both are just as passionate as the other, only difference I see is that British football fans belt out songs in their thousands whereas American fans dont; at least not beyond the basic three or four word chant.

Some of the NFL crowds are crazy; entire stadiums on their feet going berserk for the whole game. If that's not passion then I don't know what is. 

College football has plenty of diehard, passionate fans.  The Deep South lives and breathes for their high school and college football.  For years, the only person greater than Jesus to my grandad was Bobby Bowden.  On baseball, you've got Red Sox fans.  In the NFL, you've got the Bears, Steelers, Packers.    So the passion is there, but only really entrenched in relatively small regions.   

There are far more examples of passionate fans in baseball than just the Red Sox. New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, St. Louis and more. Eagles, Raiders, Chiefs, etc. should be included for football. I could go on and list many teams. It's actually a really silly argument to say there is no passion in American sports. The difference is its spread out across a large country with a lot of different sports, both professional and collegiate. New York is, first and foremost, a baseball town, the south is all about college football, Texas lives and breathes any kind of football from pee wee's to the NFL, the Dakota's don't have any professional teams but love their college hockey. I could go on forever here, but there's no denying the passion.

Not to be a dick, but one of our ironclad memes is an inflated sense of self-entitlement.  So we probably do have more glory hunters per capita than in the UK.  However, when I lived in Scotland, there were enough glory hunters there to make me question this.

I certainly see nothing to defend.  However, there are regions in the country where people are absolutely mad about their local team, even if it is a high school football one. 

There is a gif on here in one of the yank threads in Gen Chat that perfectly represents the average Yankee fan. Douchebags.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Guy is a tool. Boston has it's fair share.

The average person from NYC or Jersey: douchebag.  The area is like the Eden of the Douchebag.  In biblical terms, the genesis of the douchebag occurred somewhere around there.  The conception wouldn't have been immaculate though.

Bite your tongue.

There is a gif on here in one of the yank threads in Gen Chat that perfectly represents the average Yankee fan. Douchebags.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Guy is a tool. Boston has it's fair share.

The average person from NYC or Jersey: douchebag.  The area is like the Eden of the Douchebag.  In biblical terms, the genesis of the douchebag occurred somewhere around there.  The conception wouldn't have been immaculate though.

Bite your tongue.

QuakesMag is spot on about the genesis of the douchebag :lol:

You just can't beat New Yorkers for good old douchebaggery. Honest. I have the (mental) scars to prove it.

It's not really a case of Brit's slagging off Americans as plastic sports fans, and certainly not when it comes to supporting their own sports. Yeah, a bit about how someone suggests following a different team to pick a winner, but the issue is with all Band Wagoners, rather than with any specific country.

For anyone starting out following a new sport/league - there has to be a "way in" something that draws you to a specific team. For most people who don't have a personal introduction from someone already attached to a team, the "way in" is through the media coverage.  What teams are winning, on TV, getting talked about etc.  So most people who start out following someone are only exposed to the top teams.

Who would start following La Liga and pick Gejon, Hercules or Zaragoza? Or Serie A and pick Lecce, Catania or Chievo?  No offense to any of those teams - if you live there then you probably love them, but they get very small exposure outside of their local markets. So while you may decide not to be a bandwagon fan and pick Barca/Real or Inter/Milan you might well pick a team with "character" such as Roma, Napoli, Lazio or Villareal, Valencia or Espanyol as you see/hear about them more.

The thing about plastic fans (imo) is that they have shallow roots that cannot/do not survive droughts and they jump to the next team on the up. Devon based Man U fans who remember Gordon McQueen or Garry Birtles....then fine.  But people who were fans of one team and then jumped to whoever is Premier league champion.....That's the true issue.

Bite your tongue.

QuakesMag is spot on about the genesis of the douchebag :lol:

You just can't beat New Yorkers for good old douchebaggery. Honest. I have the (mental) scars to prove it.

I'm not going to argue that there aren't any in NY, but Boston has just as many as does Philly. Basically, every major northeast city is full of loud-mouth douchebags. Fortunately, there are plenty of normal people as well.