Plastic Fans and Pliable Allegiances

Vinny Green Balls

After a comment about Carroll, one of the players I used to coach tells me that I should support the Red Devils then.  This is what drives me mad about being a football fan in the States.  I can understand it on one hand becuase ManUre, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs get more coverage than we do.  But these same people have no problem switching allegiances. 

To me it defeats the very purpose of being a fan, which in some ways is like being a lover.  You accept the idiosyncrasies and the bullshit, because of those passing moments of joy the person gives you.  Shearer's FA Cup semifinal goal against Spurs in '99.  4-3 against ManUre.  Those magical Keegan Years.  The mini-Renaissance under Sir Bobby.  Playing like madmen at the San Siro, and just missing out on the knockout stage of the Champions League. 

SBR sacked, Souness, Keegan forced out,  Kinnear, relegation, Hughton sacked, Carroll sold - all the idiosyncrasies.  But fuck it.  The club is inside me.  If the club eventually disappears into the lower divisions, these memories don't get erased.

Switch my allegiances?  Fuck off.  Your moments mean much less, because a) they happen more often, and b) you haven't fallen into the abyss with your club, so you have absolutely no context.

Some people have the luxuries of not being true fans of the game. That said, in spite of all the rotten shite that's happened to our club in the last few years, i still consider myself the luckier. I'd be so bored being a Manu fan.

Fans of Man U or Chelsea, or the NY Yankees or LA Lakers, who have never know anything but first or second place etc  will never truely know what it's like to really support a team.

You have to experience the lows to truely comprehend how high the highs are.  I know that if/when Newcastle are Premier League Champions then I will celebrate the achievement across many more levels than Man U or Chelsea will the next time they win it all.

Is it not just an American thing ?

Here most of us bear the burden of our club from cradle to grave. In the US fans switch allegiance just because they like some player or coach.

I just know life would have been a lot easier if my father had been a Man U fan.

My mate's a Liverpool fan (not a glory hunter). When they won the CL he was obviously really happy but he was pretty normal about it the next day. Can you imagine what it would be like if we even won the FA cup. I cant even imagine it. It would be so mental, the world would change.

Is it not just an American thing ?

Here most of us bear the burden of our club from cradle to grave. In the US fans switch allegiance just because they like some player or coach.

I just know life would have been a lot easier if my father had been a Man U fan.

Some are like that, but certainly not most for American sports.

Two years ago when Liverpool beat us 5-1 a friend texted me and said some shit gloating about them winning. I responded with "Aren't you an Arsenal fan?" The response - "I was, but this guy I know is a big Liverpool fan and he convinced me to like them." Not sure I've talked to him since to be honest.

Guest Loven11

I'll always support this club, that's never gonna change and I could never support another team. This club will always be in my heart and at least we are true fans of this fantastic club.

It depends.  Steelers fans would still support them even if Ben Roethlisberger slipped their wife a mickey.  In fact, they would probably criticize the wife for complaining. 

Pittsburgh's Colocinni   ;D

Except that Big Ben does things like that on a regular basis. Fucking scum.