Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-can-exploit-Chelsea-fixture-pile-up-to-pip-them-to-European-place-says-Alan-Pardew-article887538.html

But Pardew insisted he would have mixed feelings if Newcastle’s fine season did not result in a Europa Cup slot.

He said: “There will be one side of me quite pleased if we don’t qualify for Europe, because it will mean we can attack next season without having the extra pressure of Europa League.

“Having said that, the other side of me would welcome it because it would take the club forward, bond some of the players to the club, and it would be an achievement of sorts. We could also perhaps add to the squad with the extra finance we’d get.”

Massive yes for me. As long as we don't get an horrific group with thousands of miles of travelling (the group Stoke got was ridiculous) it's a good chance to get some squad players more game time as well as welcoming some big teams to SJP - for all you'll have to play some guff there's bound to be some decent teams along the way. It's also a chance to get some momentum going, especialyl as the start of the season if you get an easy-ish qualifier. Prime example of that was 01/02 when we got off to a flying start as we played about 6 Inter-toto games, and even though we didn't qualify, we would sharper than a lot of teams early in the season.

Getting into the Europa League will make NUFC more attractive to players and will help NUFC keep the players we want to keep. It would also stretch our squad. I think one of the reasons we've done so well this season is that we haven't had long cup runs in the Carling and FA cups. I imagine the squad players and youngsters would get more game time which will help with their development. We would need a bigger squad to cope with the number of fixtures. I think the pluses outweigh the minuses. Has being in Europe hurt or helped Stoke? They seem to be more or less where they usually are in the table.

Not one for sweeping statements but this topic is an exception.

Any fan who doesn't want their club to qualify for Europe needs their head checked immediately.

One of the biggest piles of bullshit in football is when a fan or whoever says they don't want Europe (or for that matter an extended cup run) because of the extra games, injuries, tiredness. Fuck off man, give your head a shake.

Any fan who doesn't want their club to qualify for Europe needs their head checked immediately.

One of the biggest piles of bullshit in football is when a fan or whoever says they don't want Europe (or for that matter an extended cup run) because of the extra games, injuries, tiredness. Fuck off man, give your head a shake.

:thup:

http://thesecularity.com/download/file.php?id=7364

Get a group of say a Belgian/Dutch team, any German team and a French team with a big ground and we'd be laughing. 3 class trips for the trips and 6 good games at SJP atmosphere, attendance and quality wise.

Think we'd get some impressive numbers going away regardless of who we get like, everyone I've spoken too is mad keen to get back in there.

One of the biggest piles of bullshit in football is when a fan or whoever says they don't want Europe (or for that matter an extended cup run) because of the extra games, injuries, tiredness. f*** off man, give your head a shake.

That last statement seems to come form players and managers.

Spot on.

Except for the season when we were in the Championship, I couldn't care less about our cup runs that year. Finishing in the top two was all that mattered.

The big potential plus in qualifying for the Europa League is that it (allegedly) can help attract new players. I'm not sure it's quite that big a selling point, but if it is then that's a clincher.

If that's not a factor then I'm not bothered about it. It's the European equivelent of the League Cup, with the bigger clubs fielding weaker sides to avoid burnout. There are too many games, too much travelling and until the final stages it seems to be more of a money spinner for minor Eastern European clubs than anything else.

One of the biggest piles of bullshit in football is when a fan or whoever says they don't want Europe (or for that matter an extended cup run) because of the extra games, injuries, tiredness. f*** off man, give your head a shake.

That last statement seems to come form players and managers.

I'm not so sure. For example, there seems to be an annual discussion on this forum about the pros and cons of an extended League Cup or FA Cup run. Plenty of posts have indicated people wouldn't want an additional few games because apparently it will cause severe tiredness and will also mean several injuries. Don't get me wrong, this sort of attitude has been prevalent on Everton forums and when just generally chatting to supporters of other clubs.

Of course, this argument then gets somewhat moronically twisted when said person will come back with "Well then, are you saying our current squad can cope with everything and that we shouldn't get anyone new in?"