Arabi chief mulls buying Newcastle

EthiGeordie

We all want Ashley to stay....awwwww innit lovely :D

hard to believe,never thought i'd say this,but i like the direction the club is going,wages wise and all. someone said on here last summer,that some day a team might just win,with a blue collar approach,hard working,belief in them selves and coach.i'd love it if if could be us. or maybe its the Carr effect,knowing that if we lose someone(and hopefuly cash in),he'll just deliver another gem,simple...LOL.

no thanks, don't really want to be part of what is the biggest danger to the game.

It's also the future of the game, sadly..

IYO

Not sure if it's a matter of opinion after seeing what Chelsea and Man City have achieved in the last 8 or so seasons through outside investment.

does that mean it's the future of the game ?

Let's put it this way: if this trend of megarich individuals buying English football clubs and investing huge sums of money in them continues there is a significant chance that clubs who don't have a megarich owner will be unable to compete and in a few years time the Premiership will consist of these kinds of clubs. It's not a vision of the future I particularly look forward to, but sadly it does look like that's exactly what the future holds, yes.

i hope not. i foresee a legal challange to do with FFP after blatter has gone that will blow that whole scene away.

Clubs like Chelsea are clearly laughing their bollocks off about FFP. I can see them and the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Inter etc. threaten to form a breakaway European competition and UEFA will soon fold as it knows it's f***ed without these clubs in its primary money making competition..

This has been threatened for years, its never happened because the interest really wouldn't be there.  People would watch it like people watch pre-season tournaments, but that's not going to produce to kind of money that makes it worth losing league, cup, European revenue.  Plus the clubs involved would be seen as outcasts, I can't see UEFA being that s*** scared of such a threat to be honest.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a league format that includes the likes of Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, PSG, FC Porto, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, etc. wouldn't be able to compete with a league that would see us vs Stoke and Sunderland vs Everton as its "super sunday" features. UEFA is at the leash of the big clubs whether we like it or not, and FFP will do more to protect and serve their interests than put a dent in it in reality.

These clubs have become "the big clubs" by winning genuine competitions with world wide recognition like the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga ect.  Man City weren't even considered one of these kind of clubs until they started challenging for the Premier League title, the competition makes the club not the other way around..  Going off to play in a glorified pre season tournament where stadiums will be half empty due to fans not being able to travel across Europe every week in a league were most of these clubs will have to accept being mid/bottom of the table will do nothing but hurt most of them.

no thanks, don't really want to be part of what is the biggest danger to the game.

It's also the future of the game, sadly..

IYO

Not sure if it's a matter of opinion after seeing what Chelsea and Man City have achieved in the last 8 or so seasons through outside investment.

does that mean it's the future of the game ?

Let's put it this way: if this trend of megarich individuals buying English football clubs and investing huge sums of money in them continues there is a significant chance that clubs who don't have a megarich owner will be unable to compete and in a few years time the Premiership will consist of these kinds of clubs. It's not a vision of the future I particularly look forward to, but sadly it does look like that's exactly what the future holds, yes.

i hope not. i foresee a legal challange to do with FFP after blatter has gone that will blow that whole scene away.

Clubs like Chelsea are clearly laughing their bollocks off about FFP. I can see them and the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Inter etc. threaten to form a breakaway European competition and UEFA will soon fold as it knows it's f***ed without these clubs in its primary money making competition..

This has been threatened for years, its never happened because the interest really wouldn't be there.  People would watch it like people watch pre-season tournaments, but that's not going to produce to kind of money that makes it worth losing league, cup, European revenue.  Plus the clubs involved would be seen as outcasts, I can't see UEFA being that s*** scared of such a threat to be honest.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a league format that includes the likes of Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, PSG, FC Porto, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, etc. wouldn't be able to compete with a league that would see us vs Stoke and Sunderland vs Everton as its "super sunday" features. UEFA is at the leash of the big clubs whether we like it or not, and FFP will do more to protect and serve their interests than put a dent in it in reality.

These clubs have become "the big clubs" by winning genuine competitions with history like the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga ect.  Man City weren't considered one of these kind of clubs until they started challenging for the Premier League title, the competition makes the club not the other way around..  Going off to play in a glorified pre season tournament where the stadiums will be half empty due to fans not being able to afford to travel across Europe every week in a league were most of these clubs will have to accept being mid/bottom of the table will do nothing but hurt most of them.

Heh? The stadiums would be 95% filled with local supporters from the home club just like they are now. You're completely missing the point if you assume I think this will happen BTW. All I said was these clubs could threaten to go down this route and UEFA would sharpishly wind in its neck if FFP ever hindered them to stamp down their authority on their respective leagues, hence the domination of clubs owned by the megarich is here to stay unfortunately..

Lets say for instance that Porto are bottom of the league, they would still fill their stadium playing against a team they have no history against in what amounts to a plastic competition?, I don't see it.

Also my point is the reasons it won't happen are clear enough for the likes of UEFA to figure out that its an empty threat.  So I see no reason for them to be worried about it to the point where they let these clubs do whatever they want.  The richer clubs will always get away with more, but I can't see this threat carrying much weight.

Clubs with mega rich owners will still have an advantage over most of the rest, but not to the degree they've had recently, I don't believe we'll ever see anything on the scale of Chelsea or Man City again.

Lets say for instance that Porto are bottom of the league, they would still fill their stadium playing against a team they have no history against in what amounts to a plastic competition?, I don't see it.

Also my point is the reasons it won't happen are clear enough for the likes of UEFA to figure out that its an empty threat.  So I see no reason for them to be worried about it to the point where they let these clubs do whatever they want.

Replace Porto with NUFC in your argument: can you see our fans stop supporting the club because we are at the bottom of the table yet get to regularly see the likes of Messi and Ibrahimovic ply their trade at SJP? We were here when we were playing Plymouth not so long ago for crying out loud. And anyway, the real money is in TV deals nowadays, and there would be plenty of it in this imaginary deal as that's where most of the non-European viewers would go, as well as a significant part of the domestic market, at the expense of the traditional national competitions as well as continental cup formats. UEFA would be bricking it at the thought alone, and rightfully so..

Also my point is the reasons it won't happen are clear enough for the likes of UEFA to figure out that its an empty threat.  So I see no reason for them to be worried about it to the point where they let these clubs do whatever they want.

Replace Porto with NUFC in your argument: can you see our fans stop supporting the club because we are at the bottom of the table yet get to regularly see the likes of Messi and Ibrahimovic ply their trade at SJP? We were here when we were playing Plymouth not so long ago for crying out loud. And anyway, the real money is in TV deals nowadays, and there would be plenty of it in this imaginary deal as that's where most of the non-European viewers would go, as well as a significant part of the domestic market, at the expense of the traditional national competitions as well as continental cup formats. UEFA would be bricking it at the thought alone, and rightfully so..

Our fans aren't used to winning the title every other year, if the likes of Porto were suddenly relegated to perennial also rans near the bottom of the league they'd lose a hell of a lot of their fan base and slowly they're once illustrious name in world Football would turn to shit, same goes for any of them.  Being able to watch Messi isn't going to make up for any of that.

I'm sure that if they arranged this competition then initially they'd get a massive TV deal and it would damage domestic leagues and European competitions to a degree.  But long term it'd damage most of the clubs taking part just as much or even more.  I just don't agree that UEFA would be bricking it over an idea they can see nobody seriously wants.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree and wait to find out if UEFA cave in on financial fair play, personally I don't see it.

I could maybe see it working if they had promotion and relegation from the national leagues but for me it would just rip the heart out of football.

Yeah I agree that's the only way it could have a chance of working, but that would require UEFA/FIFA and local FA's being part of the whole plan.  As a break away, unofficial tournament it'd be doomed to fail IMO.

Guest reefatoon

Stop hogging this thread with your non stop, wayward chuntering . . . Can't you see I am sitting here on tenter hooks waiting for the latest update to this massive breaking story!!!

Formula One is already staged all over the world and is a single league of 12 teams.  The threat of 8 of those 12 leaving to form a new league that would then work exactly the same as the previous one is a far more realistic proposition than the whole break away super league in Football.

Formula One is already staged all over the world and is a single league of 12 teams.  The threat of 8 of those 12 leaving to form a new league that would then work exactly the same as the previous one is a far more realistic proposition than the whole break away super league in Football.

At the same time Formula One, although quite the money spinner in itself, is still a sport where the megarich haven't changed the game in the same way as they did in football. If you really believe some of the richest people in the world can't put significant pressure on UEFA to forego its FFP plans you are quite naive in my humble opinion..

Stepping away from the breakaway league argument itself, do you really believe that FFP is going to prevent these billionaires from buying the success and recognition they apparently crave?

At the same time Formula One, although quite the money spinner in itself, is still a sport where the megarich haven't changed the game in the same way as they did in football. If you really believe some of the richest people in the world can't put significant pressure on UEFA to forego its FFP plans you are quite naive in my humble opinion..

Stepping away from the breakaway league argument itself, do you really believe that FFP is going to prevent these billionaires from buying the success and recognition they apparently crave?

The richer clubs will always get away with more, but I can't see this threat carrying much weight.

So yeah I believe mega rich owners will still manage to bring their wealth to bear and gain their sides an edge.  I just don't believe the financial fair play thing will cave entirely and if it did it wouldn't be down to an empty threat like a European break away league.

My only expectation from the whole financial fair play regulations is that it'll mean we never see owner subsidisation on the scale of Chelsea or Man City again.