Affordable football

AlanSkÃrare

Seen today a ticket to go watch Alfreton Town is £18 quid.

You can get a ticket at Camp Nou, all be it in the skies, for around £23.

Last time I was in Barcelona the cheapest ticket v Levante was €50.

Likewise, although German football is cheaper for ST holders getting those €15 tickets etc, takes a fair bit of goodwill or planning.

Even then though the PL is a rip off because the true supporters abroad are rewarded with cheaper tickets whereas they overprice the matchday and tourist tickets which to me is fair enough. Here, everyone gets stiffed in favour of that tourist type fan who won't just turn up and support the team but will turn up early, buy a programme/pie/pint and give no dissent if it's going shit.

He knows exactly what he's up to.  Drive out swathes of the hardcore support and replace them with less discerning seat-fillers, strengthening his control on the matchday experience as well as increasing merchandise sales. Meanwhile it makes him look good in the media - I fully expect the likes of the BBC to start using price cuts as a defence of the way he runs the club.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of people on an average matchday are basically there making up the numbers. The place is always packed with stag dos and birthdays.

:o That sounds hellishly shit.

Being a Dortmund fan right about now sounds absolutely awesome, and having just come across this article yesterday, this thread seems to be the perfect place for it:

----

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29624410

Borussia Dortmund's slogan "echte liebe" - or "true love" - says it all. The final whistle goes at the majestic Westfalenstadion. Dortmund have lost at home.

Ugh, what a read. So many parallels can be made with NUFC and the level of support enjoyed by both clubs. The cheap ticketing is just one small part of it, and as said wouldn't need to drop drastically at SJP... just the whole common sense approach that is to be envied.

Another interesting aspect of the club's triumphant ticket pricing is this.

Steve Hastie (SH): "Commercial revenue seems to be the key to meeting FFP. It's important to get across to fans how essential it is to increase commercial revenue locally, nationally and internationally.

The board clarified the importance of this point for the benefit of the meeting minutes. Looking at turnover, matchday and commercial revenue is a key driver because that's where the Club can compete with - and outperform - others. In line with FFP, clubs' own revenue can be used to enhance their spending capabilities.

This is where it ends for me. This is the scam.

a) The commercial revenue is forever crippled with Ashley reluctant to have the club pay off the debt. Nobody will want to pay the money required to replace nor appear alongside all those SD signs.

b) How do they expect to outperform their rivals when it comes to matchday revenue when lowering ticket prices?

Guest Roger Kint

Mike Ashley has made football very affordable for me for 4 years now. Not one penny spent on the game in tickets or merch. The sad, depressing part is he has even made me not bothered that i have missed it :(