Newcastle United 2-3 Leicester City - 9/12/17 - post match reaction from page 25

Greg

I’ve watched their winner a few times now and still can’t understand how they managed to get 2 players run unchallenged into our box. Clark got attracted to the ball but could perhaps point out that he’d expect runners to be covered. Perez watches Okazaki run past him and starts to race after him far too late. As for the rest of the midfield and full backs I have no idea what they were doing. Merino had been challenging for the ball and was out of it but the lack of awareness from others was staggering. It was an absolutely horrendous goal.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd be happy with just getting 4 or 5 players that Rafa wants and worry about the Premier League quality bit afterwards tbh. If that's not doable, minimum of striker, left back, and 'keeper and I'd back him to keep us up and to begin again in the summer.

Need to split any proper money we have to spend over a number 10 and striker imo, our options in those positions are a disgrace. Flog Mitro if he's not going to be used. Get an experienced keeper in on loan. Think we could get away with it at left back, it's not as important as those 3 positions.

Agreed, forgot about number 10.

I’ve watched their winner a few times now and still can’t understand how they managed to get 2 players run unchallenged into our box. Clark got attracted to the ball but could perhaps point out that he’d expect runners to be covered. Perez watches Okazaki run past him and starts to race after him far too late. As for the rest of the midfield and full backs I have no idea what they were doing. Merino had been challenging for the ball and was out of it but the lack of awareness from others was staggering. It was an absolutely horrendous goal.

Same keep watching it. Can only assume Clark has no faith in Lejeune so goes over thinking he could be easily beaten. He does fall over simply chasing vardy tbf.

Perez lets his man go past but should never be our furthest back anyway. Hayden, Yedlin and Manquillo are all at fault there really, caught out of position at the very least.

Positives are Gayle looks like Gayle again. This lad is good enough for this level & we will score and make goals if he gets chances.

The clear issue is our defence.

Before Lascelles got injured if you take out pens we hadn't conceded more than 1 goal in a prem game with 11 men. That's impressive really.

Since then the only side who've scored less than 3 against us were managerless West Brom. It seems whatever his ability, Lascelles simply organises our defence better as bar him it's the same players.

Not a chance we'll bring in four or five Premier League players in January though, takeover or not. At today's prices that's like £50-100m.

could Ashley not change his way of buying players and instead of paying transfer fees in full (which is screwing us) just go and do what most other clubs do and spread the fees over the contract knowing that the takeover is going through in the next couple of months and let PCP pick up the rest of the fee.  We probably have around £20m in the bank, we could blow that on 4 or 5 players giving £3m-£5m initial payment and the rest following.

Sell a few others like Mitro, Haidara, Colback etc  to bring more money in and free up some wages and we could easily have a mini overhaul bringing 5 or 6 new players, couple of loans and 4 permanents.