Newcastle United 2-1 Southampton - 8/12/19

Greg

Guest godzilla

Honestly fucking clueless going forward. Joelington needs to be subbed now and I would bring Longstaff on for Shelvey to at least have someone pushing forward.

This is what happens against a team that won't overcommit.  Bruce can't plan a way to break them down or even get into their own third for prolonged periods.

This is why Schar should be playing. He can pass from defence, Shelvey shouldn’t then feel the need to play so deep to retrieve the ball.

Get some fucking ball playing defenders on and a midfielder who wants the fucking ball and can make some quick easy passes so that we can attack with some sort of fucking shape and control.

Those who wanted to see us really have a go at Southampton today have got their wish. 39% possession at home says it all.  The only time we manage to hold onto the ball in anyway is in our own half. Once we cross the half way line the team just strings out. We don't move forward as a unit at all

This is what happens against a team that won't overcommit.  Bruce can't plan a way to break them down or even get into their own third for prolonged periods.

This is why Schar should be playing. He can pass from defence, Shelvey shouldn’t then feel the need to play so deep to retrieve the ball.

:thup:

Schar's passing ability would mean we don't need to carry Shelvey and use a midfielder who is more mobile.  That would give us more balance.

Schar's passing ability would mean we don't need to carry Shelvey and use a midfielder who is more mobile.  That would give us more balance.

I’d keep Shelvey on but he can be more dangerous making his passes from 30 yards further up the pitch.

Dire half from us. Need so much more from Joelinton.

It was a masterstroke to start Joelinton, we are still 0-0, when Bruce brings on Carroll against a tiring Southampton defence, we will score and grab another three points!

To be fair to Steve Bruce, win lose or draw we are without doubt consistently the worst team on the pitch. All about the consistency.

It's no surprise Almiron struggles coming from the MLS. He is used to a better quality of football than this. Completely brainless head tennis and punts when in possession is certainly an MLS trait circa 2010 though.

With Joelinton, I like to think we spent 15m more on Riviere because thats essentially what we have so far. He is clearly missing a layer of confidence to impose himself physically but unfortunately, like Riviere I don't know even with confidence he has the ability there.

Maybe we can turn up in the second half. Few players in a black and white shirt with a brain or focus in that first half.

I’d keep Shelvey on but he can be more dangerous making his passes from 30 yards further up the pitch.

I agree kinda, but then I don't see Shelvey being able to play 30 yards further up the pitch.  He won't have the time and space he needs.

What a s*** first half performance man

Covmag enjoyed it.

It was fucking shite, just like ya patter.you watching again ?

Someone that is more mobile and switched on. He is such a liability at times. Complete reflection of they type of player that matches our clubs standing. Potential game changer that changes a game once every five games and is absolutely missing or gash the rest. We simply have to do better than Shelvey because he doesn't have it in him to be consistent.

Joelinton. I want him to live up to the price tag. I want him to be a world beater. But by god he’s such a timid player. He doesn’t take situations on with any ferocity.

You've nailed it there, like. There isn't a shred of aggression in anything he does. Plays like he's terrified of making a mistake.

Watched a couple of his Youtube comps earlier and he looks an absolute shadow of himself. It's hardly surprising... a poor start to a club is one thing, but the current environment does absolutely nothing to assist him out of what's presumably a pretty bad funk.

I keep banging on about it but we're trying to replicate a system which previously had three attackers who were absolutely perfect for one another. These three are not.