James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

6 months ago I would've though Maddison is the best we could get, after the last week I'm now not worried if we miss out on Maddison as Ive got faith that management will find someone to do the job anyway. 

28 minutes ago, wiseman said:

6 months ago I would've though Maddison is the best we could get, after the last week I'm now not worried if we miss out on Maddison as Ive got faith that management will find someone to do the job anyway. 

Missing out implies we are still taking aim, maybe our sights have been raised! 

:tobey:

We also pretty much know what Maddison’s ceiling likely is - he’s in his prime.  Maddison is an excellent footballer, but he isn’t an elite one and never will be.  No-one would describe him as world class.  Szoboszlai‘s ceiling hasn’t been reached, and potentially he could be a genuine world-beater.

I wouldn’t be unhappy with either signing, but I know who I would be more excited about.  

I don't know why but I have this little feeling Maddison  might not fit in that well with the team spirit, I take it he is a good player and he seems to get on with the England lads but is he the kind of player to dig deep when things aren't looking good. For example Trips came in when we were bottom of the league, brought a never say die attitude and dragged the team upwards, with Bruno and the rest, but would we get that from Maddison?.

It just seems that when the going got tough at Leicester yes he played, yes he tried, but it was someone else's responsibility to drag the team forward, I got the impression he thought he was better than that and a superstar in his own head.

I don't know could be bollocks but I just feel he could be one of those guys who floats on the edge of the team spirit but thinks of himself as better than the rest and that might upset what we have built?.

8 minutes ago, MagMal said:

I don't know why but I have this little feeling Maddison  might not fit in that well with the team spirit, I take it he is a good player and he seems to get on with the England lads but is he the kind of player to dig deep when things aren't looking good. For example Trips came in when we were bottom of the league, brought a never say die attitude and dragged the team upwards, with Bruno and the rest, but would we get that from Maddison?.

It just seems that when the going got tough at Leicester yes he played, yes he tried, but it was someone else's responsibility to drag the team forward, I got the impression he thought he was better than that and a superstar in his own head.

I don't know could be bollocks but I just feel he could be one of those guys who floats on the edge of the team spirit but thinks of himself as better than the rest and that might upset what we have built?.

As I've previously stated elsewhere on the forum, will in all probability not be arriving here .

I’m pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I just can’t see how Spurs would “beat” us to his signing at this moment in time. They’ve got a good new manager but otherwise they’re a shambles, and it’s going to take time for him to sort out. Maddison is in the prime of his career and doesn’t have time to wait about. 

If we want him, we’ll get him. If we don’t sign him it’s because our sights are set elsewhere and I have 100% faith in the recruitment team to be making the right call on that front.

9 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We also pretty much know what Maddison’s ceiling likely is - he’s in his prime.  Maddison is an excellent footballer, but he isn’t an elite one and never will be.  No-one would describe him as world class.  Szoboszlai‘s ceiling hasn’t been reached, and potentially he could be a genuine world-beater.

I wouldn’t be unhappy with either signing, but I know who I would be more excited about.  

It seems mad to say it, but I'd be more excited with the Szobo signing as well. I think that's why people are acting a bit meh about Maddison even though he's a class player.

7 hours ago, MagMal said:

He chipped in with a combination of 20 goals/assists in a team that got relegated. A record that’s up there with the best of our players last season.

I would prefer we go with Szobo as well but I’m not gonna start trying to fool myself Maddison “isn’t good enough for our team” or “he hasn’t the right attitude” because even with our great attitude we got a lot of draws and he’ll help get past that.

I think he's the player who Caulkin was referring to when he said the club were lying about who their targets are. I'm not entirely sure that Maddison is anything like a key target. After Tonali, I don't think anyone knows who our targets are.

4 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Both are good - long term Big Dom for me 

Mount would be good too, but his salaries demands might be somewhere between 200-250k, too much for Newcastle.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Only real concern with Szoboszlai is that Bundesliga and RB players in particular tend to be more miss than hit in the PL.

Eddie can make a miss a hit! 

:juicy:

Edited by PauloGeordio

47 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Eddie can make a miss a hit! 

:juicy:

People say “Eddie can make szob work” then they say “Maddison won’t fit in”. Fact is Maddison is the one we’ve gone for in the past so Eddie must want him so I’d be just as happy if we get him.

it’s the unknown that excites us and that’s human nature but I trust whatever our team goes for.

I'm not even convinced Spurs want him tbh, and if they do it's just a signing because he's a name and has done well.

He wouldn't have been a player Ange would've extensively scouted at the clubs he was with before, so how could he have suddenly come to Spurs, got an idea of the players he has, assessed what he wants to change/improve, and on top of that done some thorough research on any players in such a short space of time.

Maybe I'm overthinking that, but I just think it's Leicester trying to push us to make a bid, with an increased price to 'beat' Spurs to a player they don't want.

Anyhow, Szoboszlai it is!

5 hours ago, STM said:

I think he's the player who Caulkin was referring to when he said the club were lying about who their targets are. I'm not entirely sure that Maddison is anything like a key target. After Tonali, I don't think anyone knows who our targets are.

I assumed that was more about recent links to Barella, Nmecha. Maddison would be a pretty long con considering we’re into a third window of links. Very possibly he’s no longer a tier 1 target though.

If they are going to play as an attacking midfielder, then I wouldn’t mind if we get either (Maddison or Szo). But if we are going to play them as wingers/wide midfielder, I definitely think Szo is the better option here . He’s more explosive and a better dribbler, and those traits are crucial for a winger who’s supposed to penetrate a low block. 

Edited by Solitude20