The Board etc. etc.

NE5

Hang on, I'll get The Sunday Times Rich List.

If Freddy didn't get so involved in footballing matters by interfering in the process of signing players, and appointed a director of football instead of thinking that he had a scrap of footballing knowledge, then people wouldn't blame him when we underachieve on the pitch. But because he has interfered, and because he won't appoint a director, then surely you can see why people hold him responsible for us winning nothing?

rubbish.

Who says he interferes with his managers job ?

As I said, if you aren't happy and think we are so underachieving despite the club filling the ground every week, stop going. If you think any rich person can come in and do a better job just because they are rich, then you're dafter than I thought.

Why would a director of football improve anything ?

Who do you think would guarantee to do better, and want to do better ? Why don't they come and prove it ?

I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, but didn't Sir Bobby make claims to that effect in his autobiography?

he also claimed that we made a profit on Carl Cort  :lol:

Maybe he said we couldn't afford a player Sir Bob wanted ..... now, according to some on here, and I would agree, that THAT is doing his job as a chairman if it is the case ...

If you want to get involved in this debate, feel free, but you could start with answering my questions for Mick and/or helping him to finish the thread he started, and give us the conclusion to his own question..

You have no idea why he bought England players at Everton and not at Newcastle ????????  :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will probably give an opinion and dress it up as fact, I'll not.  I could guess why he did it but it doesn't make it true.

I thought you said you knew this era ? Obviously not. You have not answered it, until now. Which proves you don't know what you are talking about, why did you start a thread called "are/were you Newcastle a selling club" if you don't know the answer to this question ?

:lol:

Do you know the answer to the question?  I never said that I knew the answer at the start of the thread and it would apear that you don't either. It would appear that we spent more than we brought in which I didn't expect to find.

You're a joke.

I'll lose no sleep over that. bluebiggrin.gif

Why not finish the thread you started ? I have answered your questions, but you don't even answer your own ? Come on, tell us your verdict on your own thread.

I will if and when I get the last few transfer fees.

If you want to get involved in this debate, feel free

God no - see, I know that I don't know enough to be involved in this debate, I just had one tiny question relating to one particular statement...

As you were, gents :D

Stop swearing man, are you an idiot ?

Have manure's new directors gone backwards under Alex Ferguson since they won the European Cup ?

Have Arsenals directors gone backwards in the last 2 years ?

How did Wimbledon win the FA Cup ?

How far backwards have Sheff Wed gone ? How come Wigan, Reading, Watford and Fulham are all in the premiership while the mackems are bottom of the 2nd division [or whatever its called] ?

Get a life, shake your head. We are 5th over the last decade on merit. Shepherd was a part of the board who took over the club in 1992, and he wasn't the major shareholder then, and he isn't now either. The major shareholders are still the Halls. If any single person chooses the managers or makes single decisions, it is them, and that has been the case since 1992. If you are so unhappy with the performance of the club under them, then stop going to the game, and force them out, as what happened for over 3 decades pre-1992.

It's simple enough, but I will tell you that you won't get many people joining you, and that should tell you that a full stadium says people are very much interested in the club, and see they are trying to be successful, which wasn't the case pre-1992. If you don't understand this, its your problem.

The Halls have the shares that can swing an AGM vote, the Shepherds have the casting vote at board meetings.

Stop trying to hide behind the halls, Shepherd has the casting vote as chairman and he's had this since 1998.  Halls have two votes in a board meeting, shepherds have two but they have the main one as chairman.

Guest thompers

I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, but didn't Sir Bobby make claims to that effect in his autobiography?

Maybe he said we couldn't afford a player Sir Bob wanted ..... now, according to some on here, and I would agree, that THAT is doing his job as a chairman if it is the case ...

If you want to get involved in this debate, feel free, but you could start with answering my questions for Mick and/or helping him to finish the thread he started, and give us the conclusion to his own question..

Couldn't afford a Sir Bobby chosen player but can suddenly afford £50m worth of Souness players? Hmmm

Stop swearing man, are you an idiot ?

Have manure's new directors gone backwards under Alex Ferguson since they won the European Cup ?

Have Arsenals directors gone backwards in the last 2 years ?

How did Wimbledon win the FA Cup ?

How far backwards have Sheff Wed gone ? How come Wigan, Reading, Watford and Fulham are all in the premiership while the mackems are bottom of the 2nd division [or whatever its called] ?

Get a life, shake your head. We are 5th over the last decade on merit. Shepherd was a part of the board who took over the club in 1992, and he wasn't the major shareholder then, and he isn't now either. The major shareholders are still the Halls. If any single person chooses the managers or makes single decisions, it is them, and that has been the case since 1992. If you are so unhappy with the performance of the club under them, then stop going to the game, and force them out, as what happened for over 3 decades pre-1992.

It's simple enough, but I will tell you that you won't get many people joining you, and that should tell you that a full stadium says people are very much interested in the club, and see they are trying to be successful, which wasn't the case pre-1992. If you don't understand this, its your problem.

The Halls have the shares that can swing an AGM vote, the Shepherds have the casting vote at board meetings.

Stop trying to hide behind the halls, Shepherd has the casting vote as chairman and he's had this since 1998.  Halls have two votes in a board meeting, shepherds have two but they have the main one as chairman.

I'm not hiding behind anybody, I think they have done a good job, and are still the best people for the job until someone is prepared to prove otherwise.

Stop avoiding concluding your own question, in your own thread.

Couldn't afford a Sir Bobby chosen player but can suddenly afford £50m worth of Souness players? Hmmm

Have you given up your ticket up yet ?

Yes I read books, but don't need to read them to know the facts which I am posting here, because, unlike you, I was THERE.

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

whats so funny ?

Are we/were we a selling club or not ? It was YOUR question ..... ?

You have no idea why he bought England players at Everton and not at Newcastle ????????  :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will probably give an opinion and dress it up as fact, I'll not.  I could guess why he did it but it doesn't make it true.

I thought you said you knew this era ? Obviously not. You have not answered it, until now. Which proves you don't know what you are talking about, why did you start a thread called "are/were you Newcastle a selling club" if you don't know the answer to this question ?

:lol:

Do you know the answer to the question?  I never said that I knew the answer at the start of the thread and it would apear that you don't either. It would appear that we spent more than we brought in which I didn't expect to find.

You're a joke.

I'll lose no sleep over that. bluebiggrin.gif

Why not finish the thread you started ? I have answered your questions, but you don't even answer your own ? Come on, tell us your verdict on your own thread.

I will if and when I get the last few transfer fees.

no, a factual answer will do, assuming you know. If its factual I can't argue can I ? Why did Lee buy England players for Everton and not Newcastle ? Why did he leave Newcastle ? Why do you prefer people who give you a team relegated/struggling than ones who give you a team which qualifies regularly for europe ?

Pretty straightforward questions I would say.

But I suspect, you won't answer because you can't.

I suspect he doesn't. He said that he put in to buy shares during the flotation at this time which failed, but couldn't remember how much he paid ..... he also thinks we weren't a selling club despite selling 3 England internationals ........ and replacing them with cheap duffers.

In 1997 we sold Ginola, Ferdinand and Beardsley amongst others for almost £17 million, that same year we spent just over £7 million on players, we brought in players like John Barnes, Brian Pinas and Ian Rush, we've always bought and sold players, just like every other club.

We are 5th. Under Bobby Robson we finished in the top 5 for 3 consecutive seasons for the first time in over 50 years and are 5th overall in the last decade. Fact.

We sacked Sir Bobby as a thank you for giving us this, for giving us our highest average league position over a three year period.

Before this board, we were somewhere between 12th and 20th. This is a big improvement. Fact.

Before this chairman we were 2nd in the Premiership, Fact.

A good board generates resources. Fact.

We didn't generate our resources and build on or consolidate past successes, as detailed previously which Mick ignores although he says he was there. Fact.

In 1970 our average admission fee was 70p, today it's roughly £36. Fact.

If you are so unhappy, stop going. But there are people who will take your seat. Which wouldn't be the case if we were doing badly, as you suggest, and was the case in the past. The choice is yours. Stop going, persuade 30,000 more to join you, and they will be gone.

Who do you suggest is better, and wants to be better ?

Totally ignorant to the fact that in the past football wasn't as popular as it is today and that wasn't just the case at Newcastle, it was the case throughout English football, as you rightly pointed out, we had one of the highest average crowds.  Fact.

I'm not hiding behind anybody, I think they have done a good job, and are still the best people for the job until someone is prepared to prove otherwise.

Stop avoiding concluding your own question, in your own thread.

So are you admitting that Freddy Shepherd holds more power in the boardroom than Douglas Hall?

I'll give you a clue.

Douglas Hall - 1 vote, his sister - 1 vote = 2.

Freddy Shepherd - casting vote = 2, Bruce - 1 vote = 3.

Yes I read books, but don't need to read them to know the facts which I am posting here, because, unlike you, I was THERE.

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

whats so funny ?

Do you not see the hypocrisy?

Are we/were we a selling club or not ? It was YOUR question ..... ?

We've bought and sold players throughout our history.  At times we've made a loss on buying and at times we've made a profit and we've done that recently as well as in the past.

I suspect he doesn't. He said that he put in to buy shares during the flotation at this time which failed, but couldn't remember how much he paid ..... he also thinks we weren't a selling club despite selling 3 England internationals ........ and replacing them with cheap duffers.

In 1997 we sold Ginola, Ferdinand and Beardsley amongst others for almost £17 million, that same year we spent just over £7 million on players, we brought in players like John Barnes, Brian Pinas and Ian Rush, we've always bought and sold players, just like every other club.

Beardsley ???????? haha....just like in 1986, with his career ahead of him ....... he really wanted to go  :lol: You're a joke. I didn't realise we needed to sell those players to keep the club running ..... I thought you said that under John Hall we were such a well run club, yet you are now saying we needed to sell those players ....

Hey Grass, see your previous post about hypocrisy  :lol: best laugh yet this, even better than your trophy stadium that the board have delivered you.

Why did Gordon Lee buy England players for Everton and not Newcastle ? Why did he leave Newcastle ? Why did 3 local lads all with England careers ahead of them want to leave Newcastle in the 1980's ? Why did we spend years in the old second division before the current board took over, or did all the teams above us live in a different economic climate ?

You get funnier.

You didn't go, did you ?

:lol: :lol:

So is your reply to your own question, we are a selling club just like we were when we sold Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle ? Are we still a selling club like when we spent years in the 2nd division ? If this is so, please explain how we didnt' qualify for europe once between 1976 and 1994, and have qualified 9 times since ?

no, a factual answer will do, assuming you know. If its factual I can't argue can I ? Why did Lee buy England players for Everton and not Newcastle ? Why did he leave Newcastle ? Why do you prefer people who give you a team relegated/struggling than ones who give you a team which qualifies regularly for europe ?

You do argue with factual answers to questions, it's a fact that we've gone backwards under Shepherd yet you argue with it.

I've answered why Lee left, if you're interested in the answer then go through this thread and find it.

When have I ever said that I preferred people who give you a team relegated/struggling than ones who give you a team which qualifies regularly for europe?

If you want factual answers then make sure the questions are factual.

Beardsley ???????? haha....just like in 1986, with his career ahead of him ....... he really wanted to go  :lol: You're a joke. I didn't realise we needed to sell those players to keep the club running ..... I thought you said that under John Hall we were such a well run club, yet you are now saying we needed to sell those players ....

Hey Grass, see your previous post about hypocrisy  :lol: best laugh yet this, even better than your trophy stadium that the board have delivered you.

Why did Gordon Lee buy England players for Everton and not Newcastle ? Why did he leave Newcastle ? Why did 3 local lads all with England careers ahead of them want to leave Newcastle in the 1980's ? Why did we spend years in the old second division before the current board took over, or did all the teams above us live in a different economic climate ?

You get funnier.

You didn't go, did you ?

I didn't say we needed to sell players to keep the club running, I was just showing that we sell more players than we buy at times and sometimes those who come in are not as good as those who go out, I know that was under Sir John, it even happened while he was here.

You do argue with factual answers to questions, it's a fact that we've gone backwards under Shepherd yet you argue with it.

I've answered why Lee left, if you're interested in the answer then go through this thread and find it.

When have I ever said that I preferred people who give you a team relegated/struggling than ones who give you a team which qualifies regularly for europe?

I believe you said "Lee thought Newcastle were just a cup team". Please explain why, as the manager, he thought he was not the person with the power to change that, if that were the case. Please explain why he didn't sign England players for Newcastle, when he did for Everton. Please explain how - also - that if he did indeed think "Newcastle were indeed just a cup team", that you are in fact admitting that Newcastle's ambition was limited and he had bigger ambitions than that and the board who appointed him didn't share the same ambition and become better than being "just a cup team" ......

You get funnier.

You didn't go, did you ?

I didn't say we needed to sell players to keep the club running, I was just showing that we sell more players than we buy at times and sometimes those who come in are not as good as those who go out, I know that was under Sir John, it even happened while he was here.

why did Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley all leave Newcastle when they had the best years of their career ahead of them ?

I think your comment about good buying and selling was down to the manager's judgement of players, as always.

What isn't factual ? You said you prefer the performance under MacDonald - ie finishing 15th for 3 consecutive seasons -  to after he left and finishing 5th the following season didn't you ?

You also slag off the current board for giving you regular european football, and insist they are no better than the one who got nowhere near it for almost 20 years ?

Guest thompers

NE5, are we losing today because we have inferior players? Or are we losing because Doug Ellis appointed a far superior manager than Roeder, and we're getting dicked because O Neill is tactically outclassing us? If the latter, who do we look to and trust to find a tatically astute manager to get the best out of the quality players that we undoubtedly have? And who do we look to to appoint a manager that doesn't lose against what is clearly inferior opposition?