The Board etc. etc.

NE5

Guest bobjonson

question for anyone interested, name the last player we bought, before the hall shep kk era that was a CURRENT international and continued to get caps when we signed him????????????

Guest bobjonson

It's totally unbelievable that people whinge on and on about Sheperd the board etc etc, fair enough he was an idiot for appointing souness, and he has made a load of crap decisions in the past, but today is a prime example, players of the calibre of duff would laugh out loud if they were linked with newcastle before sheperd and hall took over. Is it the case that some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about?

In my opinion the most important signing in my time as a Newcastle supporter was the England captain Kevin Keegan, that happened long before Hall and Shepherd.

and where did I say duff is the most important signing?????

KK was an amazing signing, but was only ever coming to end his career, it was an amazing time to watch the team then, but wasnt built on.

Oh and he was an EX england captain when we signed him

I mentioned before to Mick that Keegan never played for England again after signing for Newcastle Bob, but he doesn't believe me.

bobby robson dropped KK after 82 WC i think, he went to southampton then to us, never got another cap.

from wikpedia

When Bobby Robson became the new England coach after that World Cup (82), Keegan was left out of his first squad, a decision he learned of from the media rather than Robson himself. Keegan expressed his public displeasure and never played for his country again. He won a total of 63 caps (and almost certainly would have won considerably more had it not been for England's inability to qualify for three major tournaments during Keegan's international career) and scored 21 goals. He captained his country 31 times.

It's totally unbelievable that people whinge on and on about Sheperd the board etc etc, fair enough he was an idiot for appointing souness, and he has made a load of crap decisions in the past, but today is a prime example, players of the calibre of duff would laugh out loud if they were linked with newcastle before sheperd and hall took over. Is it the case that some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about?

In my opinion the most important signing in my time as a Newcastle supporter was the England captain Kevin Keegan, that happened long before Hall and Shepherd.

KK was an amazing signing, but was only ever coming to end his career, it was an amazing time to watch the team then, but wasnt built on.

I mentioned before to Mick that Keegan never played for England again after signing for Newcastle Bob, but he doesn't believe me.

bobby robson dropped KK after 82 WC i think, he went to southampton then to us, never got another cap.

from wikpedia

When Bobby Robson became the new England coach after that World Cup (82), Keegan was left out of his first squad, a decision he learned of from the media rather than Robson himself. Keegan expressed his public displeasure and never played for his country again. He won a total of 63 caps (and almost certainly would have won considerably more had it not been for England's inability to qualify for three major tournaments during Keegan's international career) and scored 21 goals. He captained his country 31 times.

And when Bobby Robson came up to Newcastle for his first game as England manager [which may have been Keegans debut, not sure about that now] he was abused and spat on for dropping him.

Our first capacity crowd, [of around 30,000,] for quite a while it was too.....there was obviously lots of glory, achievement, ambition and "desire to support NUFC till I die" before Keegan signed for Newcastle

You don't get facts like that in your books grass ...

Guest bobjonson

some interesting reading.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickzoe/seasons/1970s/season77-78.html

In 1976/77 United had achieved their highest League position for 25 years and in so doing had qualified for Europe; a year later United were relegated after a season so disastrous that the BBC devoted an edition of it's national coverage "Tonight" programme to "the decline and fall of Newcastle United".

Marc Bolan rode his white swan for the last time and Elvis had gone to the Burger Bar in Rockabilly Hell; Newcastle simply went down the swanny.

Newly promoted Nottingham Forest were the runaway winners of the League Title, in contrast United were only ever involved at the other end. They were ditched into a relegation position by the third Saturday of the season and they would never again crawl out of it during the rest of the season. They eventually finished in 21st position after gathering a mere twenty two points from forty two games; eleven points short of safety.

During the League campaign they set a number of unenviable records. Least number of wins in a season (6). Most defeats in a season (26). Least number of points in a season (22) Most consecutive defeats (10). Most games without a win (19). Most number of home games without a win (11).

The domestic cups provided little relief as they were defeated at home by Second Division Millwall in the League Cup Second Round and thrashed 4-1 by Third Division Wrexham in an FA Cup Fourth Round Replay.

The European dream turned into a nightmare as a riot marred the away match with Bohemians before their interest was ended by French side Bastia who went on to lift the UEFA Cup after outclassing the Magpies at SJP.

Very few clubs could have achieved such a dramatic turnaround in fortunes, but of course for United it is second nature. In a season in which we were shot from all sides the directors, managers and players all deserved a share of the blame.

When manager Gordon Lee walked out on the club in January 1977 Lord Westwood and his fellow directors presided over a shambolic attempt to keep The Good Ship United on course. They abdicated their responsibility over the appointment of Dinnis, failed to support Dinnis either morally or financially and failed to negotiate in a professional manner with the players.

The players were themselves guilty of holding the club to ransom over the appointment of a new manager and of failing to put in the required commitment when the going got tough.

Lee walked out, Dinnis was not up to the job, McGarry failed to turn the tide.

Keegan wasn't an ex captain when we signed him, he played his first game for us against QPR on 28th August 1982, Bobby dropped him for his first game as manager against Denmark on 22nd September 1982, I think.

No signing since Keegan has really been built on now that you mention it, at least to a certain degree, the Keegan signing isn't unique for that.

That could all change of course.

Shame Gazza, Beardsley, Waddle and subsequent relegation didn't agree with you. Not to mention knocking on the door of the old 3rd division later again. Canny opportunity eh, what happened to moving forward from that platform ?

Remind yourself where we were when he signed Mick, assuming you really were there.

What do you think of today, still harking for the old pre-Shepherd and Hall days ?

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/4966/hippoyawncm2.th.jpg

Keegan wasn't an ex captain when we signed him, he played his first game for us against QPR on 28th August 1982, Bobby dropped him for his first game as manager against Denmark on 22nd September 1982, I think.

No signing since Keegan has really been built on now that you mention it, at least to a certain degree, the Keegan signing isn't unique for that.

tripe. As usual.

He announced his squad in the summer before the season started, and Keegan was missing. He learned about being left out in the press, which was the reason he was abused at SJP and Keegan never spoke to him afterwards for a long time.

If you had read the last posts properly you wouldn't have made yourself look such an arse.

Shame Gazza, Beardsley, Waddle and subsequent relegation didn't agree with you. Not to mention knocking on the door of the old 3rd division later again. Canny opportunity eh, what happened to moving forward from that platform ?

Remind yourself where we were when he signed Mick, assuming you really were there.

What do you think of today, still harking for the old pre-Shepherd and Hall days ?

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/4966/hippoyawncm2.th.jpg

passing off being caught out and knowing nothing as a bite. Clueless.

Guest bobjonson

tripe. As usual.

He announced his squad in the summer before the season started, and Keegan was missing. He learned about being left out in the press, which was the reason he was abused at SJP and Keegan never spoke to him afterwards for a long time.

If you had read the last posts properly you wouldn't have made yourself look such an arse.

either way he's totally missing the point and trying to prove he's right on a technicality.

FACT is he never got a cap while playing for us, FACT is few players did then.

Guest bobjonson

more interesting reading for those that are interested.

http://experts.about.com/e/h/hi/History_of_Newcastle_United_F.C..htm

1980-1992

At the start of the 1980s, United had declined dramatically and were languishing in the Second Division. Gordon Lee had replaced Harvey as boss, yet he in turn soon gave way to Richard Dinnis and then Bill McGarry. But it was Arthur Cox who steered United back again to the First Division with ex England skipper Kevin Keegan the focus of the side, having joined the Magpies in a sensational deal in 1982.

The football inspired by Keegan captivated Tyneside and United stormed into the top division in a style only bettered by Kevin's own brand of football as a manager in the next decade. Alongside Keegan were youngsters Peter Beardsley and Chris Waddle, as well as seasoned campaigners like Terry McDermott and David McCreery.

One of English footballs greatest talents, Paul Gascoigne or 'Gazza', emerged as a youngster at the club during this period, under manager Jack Charlton (who later went on to take Republic of Ireland to two World Cup finals). Newcastle consolidated their place in Division One but then a period of selling their best players (Beardsley to Liverpool, and Waddle and Gazza both to Tottenham), rocked the club and led to supporter unrest, as did a share-war for control of the boardroom.

The Magpies tumbled back into the Second Division and over the next few seasons found themselves in a perilous state. They had little money, star players headed south and crowds dwindled. Several managerial changes took place - Jim Smith and Ossie Ardiles could not stop the rot. With the club hovering on the brink of a further, potentially catastrophic, relegation Newcastle United needed a saviour. They not only found one, but two, as Sir John Hall and Kevin Keegan joined forces to salvage Newcastle's reputation.

question for anyone interested, name the last player we bought, before the hall shep kk era that was a CURRENT international and continued to get caps when we signed him????????????

roy aitken ?

Guest bobjonson

roy aitken ?

nice one, played for us season 90/91

tripe. As usual.

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/6497/yawndonkeypw7.jpg

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamMgr/Mgr_Robson.html

Appointed manager 7 July 1982 effective September 1982; resigned following 1990 World Cup.

tripe. As usual.

Appointed manager 7 July 1982 effective September 1982; resigned following 1990 World Cup.

grasping at straws, he dropped him from his first squad and he never played for England again. Fact.

You haven't read or understood the above posts by myself and Bob have you

tripe. As usual.

grasping at straws, he dropped him from his first squad and he never played for England again. Fact.

So it's now "grasping at straws" because you've been proven wrong, quite funny considering I was supposed to have "made yourself look such an arse".  Am I right in thinking that the shoe is on the other foot now and maybe you've made yourself look like an arse?

Also quite funny that further up the thread you had a go because I hadn't replied to something after 14 minutes then you take something like 13 hours.

tripe. As usual.

So it's now "grasping at straws" because you've been proven wrong, quite funny considering I was supposed to have "made yourself look such an arse".  Am I right in thinking that the shoe is on the other foot now and maybe you've made yourself look like an arse?

Also quite funny that further up the thread you had a go because I hadn't replied to something after 14 minutes then you take something like 13 hours.

who's wrong. Keegan never played for England again after signing for Newcastle. Fact or not ?

You didn't know Bobby Robson was abused at Keegans debut did you ? Why was that do you think ?

tripe. As usual.

who's wrong. Keegan never played for England again after signing for Newcastle. Fact or not ?

You didn't know Bobby Robson was abused at Keegans debut did you ? Why was that do you think ?

See the bold bits in blue, son.

Where did I say that I didn't know that Bobby was abused/spat on?

That's just you trying to change history and make it look as it we hadn't signed the England captain, Keegan was captain the day he signed - Fact.

It's not my problem that you've got yourself into a corner and are now trying to get out of it.  I've never tried to make out that he played for England while at Newcastle, you've tried to make it look as if he wasn't the captain when we signed him, you said that my post about him being the captain was tripe and you're wrong it was a fact.

tripe. As usual.

See the bold bits in blue, son.

Where did I say that I didn't know that Bobby was abused/spat on?

That's just you trying to change history and make it look as it we hadn't signed the England captain, Keegan was captain the day he signed - Fact.

It's not my problem that you've got yourself into a corner and are now trying to get out of it.  I've never tried to make out that he played for England while at Newcastle, you've tried to make it look as if he wasn't the captain when we signed him, you said that my post about him being the captain was tripe and you're wrong it was a fact.

throwing your dummy out are you kid ?  :lol:

He was never picked by Bobby Robson for England and never played again. Fact.

Same as technically, Beckham was captain of England when McLaren was appointed, but he's not now.

As usual, you ignore the main thrust of the discussion. If you would rather we were a mid table 2nd division club with ambitions only to stay in the top league, as we were for years, thats your problem - son - but I suspect you weren't really there despite what you say, which is why your whole recollection of that era is so clueless.

So, now you admit that Bobby Robson was abused/spat on, or rather don't dispute the fact I've told you, please tell us why you think he was abused, as you also claim that he came to Newcastle to see his captain make his debut for his hometown club ? And the date of THAT match was 28th August 1982, a month before he took effective charge of his first game.

Same as technically, Beckham was captain of England when McLaren was appointed, but he's not now.

As usual, you ignore the main thrust of the discussion. If you would rather we were a mid table 2nd division club with ambitions only to stay in the top league, as we were for years, thats your problem - son - but I suspect you weren't really there despite what you say, which is why your whole recollection of that era is so clueless.

So, now you admit that Bobby Robson was spat on, or rather don't dispute the fact I've told you, please tell us why you think he was spat on, as you also claim that he came to Newcastle to see his captain make his debut for his hometown club ?

I see, I've thrown my dummy out, how?

Bobby was spat on by some idiots for dropping Keegan for the Denmark game, Keegan was pissed off because Bobby hadn't phoned him, Keegan found out through the press and didn't like it.  I've got nothing to admit about the spitting as I've never said it didn't happen and I've never said that Robson came to see his captain make his debut for his home town club, stop lying.

All I've said is that we signed the England captain which you initially seemed to dispute because it doesn't suit your argument, we did sign the England captain, Keegan was the captain of England the day he signed for Newcastle- Fact.

Guest bobjonson

So before Halls and Shep took over the only international standard player you can recall us signing was KK, about 10 years and all you could come up with is KK.

So, now you admit that Bobby Robson was spat on, or rather don't dispute the fact I've told you, please tell us why you think he was spat on, as you also claim that he came to Newcastle to see his captain make his debut for his hometown club ?

I see, I've thrown my dummy out, how?

Bobby was spat on by some idiots for dropping Keegan for the Denmark game, Keegan was pissed off because Bobby hadn't phoned him, Keegan found out through the press and didn't like it.  I've got nothing to admit about the spitting as I've never said it didn't happen and I've never said that Robson came to see his captain make his debut for his home town club, stop lying.

All I've said is that we signed the England captain which you initially seemed to dispute because it doesn't suit your argument, we did sign the England captain, Keegan was the captain of England the day he signed for Newcastle- Fact.

I'm not lying. When Keegan signed for Newcastle he never captained or even played for England again. He was an ex captain and an ex player. Fact. You are covering up and counteracting the fact mentioned by myself and bob that signing Keegan, an ex England player and captain who was past his best, made up for selling Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza, 3 local lads, future England players with their whole career ahead of them, attempting to paint the old board as being a good board, or comparable to the current board, which is complete, utter garbage, and as I have said, nobody I have ever met anywhere that supported the club during this time has eve claimed such a thing, until you on here. Simple fact is, people on here - possibly yourself - harp on about the club making "trophy" signings with the simple aim of putting bums on seats and not having real ambition, but the signing of Keegan was the ultimate trophy signing, and the only one we have ever made with that criteria.

Which leads me to the conclusion you either didn't witness this period as you say you did, or have your head up your arse, son.  :lol:

So before Halls and Shep took over the only international standard player you can recall us signing was KK, about 10 years and all you could come up with is KK.

We didn't have many England internationals, the ones we had were usually from Wales, Ireland and Scotland.

And a Scottish one of over 30 years old too. I don't expect Mick to answer this, he won't know and if he does it will prove your point anyway bob.

Maybe he thinks signing Roy Aitken was a replacement for Gazza  :lol:

Guest bobjonson

I said nowt about ENGLAND internationals. I said

point I made earlier is nowadays we buy palyers of Duffs calibre, previously we couldnt or werent capable.

KK was a one off, paid for mainly by the breweries anyway, which should have kick started NUFC onto better things, however soon as he was gone, the best players were sold off and we made do hasbeens and sunday league players.

On another point, why do you, Mick, and some of the other go on and on about how its gone since shep was on the board?? Did you know, or any of you, that he had a stake in NUFC before Hall, and before the takeover was even dreamt up????????????