Argy Bargy

sempuki

Yep completely agree with tmonkey, really can't see how anyone can argue that a left winger was a bigger priority than sorting out the defence or attack.

with that thinking we'd never have bought andy cole cos we had kelly and peacock and quinn,we'd never have bought ginola as we had sellars etc

The difference between signing Duff and the players you've mentioned is that he isn't better than the left winger we already had, where as Cole and Ginola were a step up in class.

after watching duff for chelsea and blackburn there was more reason for seeing him as an improvment than the relativly unknown cole when we already had the best strike partnership and back up in the league and sellars was playing very well before ginola,who most had only heard of for getting the blame for france not qualifying for a major tournament,came in........aye hindsight is a wonderful thing.

IIRC when we signed Cole, and Ginola, we didnt have the gaping holes in the first team that the current side has with respect to being good enough for the standard required in this league. Thats a good time to improve on what you have. Sellars imo was average, Kelly was good but Cole had natural pace that suited Beardo well.

Duff may turn out to be a good signing, but the gaps we have in the current side are costing us dearly, and its a signing that should not have been made considering that on top of these gaps, were talking about a player who has been off the boil long before we got round to signing him, and on top of that has always been one to pick up niggly injuries - similar to Emre. Even if Duff regains his form of old, which isnt impossible but still unlikely imo, by the time he does so we may well have absolutely nothing to play for, with no Europe next season. What then? What will stop the likes of Martins or Given wanting out if they get significantly better offers?

Im all for upgrading players when the time is right or if an exceptional opportunity comes along, I still think it was great for Shephard to make the Rooney bid despite us needing defenders because sacrificing the squad for that calibre of special player is worthwhile if the team really needs it (which we did, and still do). But its shows a real lack of foresight when the players for whom the needs of the squad are being sacrificed are either very injury prone or long past their best.

His time at Deportivo hasn’t been all positive though. Coloccini cuts a dashing figure charging out of defence with long curly locks flowing but is prone to reckless defending that often leads to bookings.

And thats from the official site  ???

I wish our official site were that honest. 

His time at Deportivo hasn’t been all positive though. Coloccini cuts a dashing figure charging out of defence with long curly locks flowing but is prone to reckless defending that often leads to bookings.

It's an official fan site, not the official site

I don't know, I wouldn't want to be Babayaro's mother reading an article about her son on an "honest" offical site  :buck2:

It's an official fan site, not the official site

Aye you go on a lot don't you, i'm Newcastle United.  :thup: