Looking up the table

Guest TampaToon

We barely created a chance against Sheff Utd. Fully deserved 3 points for them.

About 36 hours after Palermo, wasn't it? Slightly forgivable, although admittedly it's only recently I seem to have remembered this.

At the time we were all seething, but I don't remember anyone mentioning the Palermo farce.

It is a fairly big ask to play 2 games in 3 days, when Sheff Utd had the midweek free... we also had Duff and Rossi up front.

At the time we were all seething, but I don't remember anyone mentioning the Palermo farce.

It is a fairly big ask to play 2 games in 3 days, when Sheff Utd had the midweek free... we also had Duff and Rossi up front.

It was mentioned at the time.  Shepherd had allowed the game to be moved forward for Sky despite the midweek game and a lot of people were angry about that.

Guest Jangles

when talking about "luck", i've gotta agree with those who say we're experiencing an evening out for some of the luckless results early in the season....you could argue that we were unlucky not to pick up 5-8 points (or more) in the early going when we were putting in great performances but couldn't buy a win....

Sorry, which games were these?

Fulham, and Sheffield at home. IMO.

Not great performances, but I don't think the results reflected the run of play.

Fulham maybe, but Sheffield United got a result because they outbattled us and they wanted it more than us.  That and Charlton were the low points of the season for me, never mind games in which we were unlucky not to get a result.

The games that spring to mind for me are Fulham, Charlton and Boro. If my alcohol buffudled memory serves me right we played some nice football but lacked that cutting edge upfront and were too soft at the back meaning that for all our nice play we didnt take much from the matches.

Guest Gemmill

when talking about "luck", i've gotta agree with those who say we're experiencing an evening out for some of the luckless results early in the season....you could argue that we were unlucky not to pick up 5-8 points (or more) in the early going when we were putting in great performances but couldn't buy a win....

Sorry, which games were these?

Fulham, and Sheffield at home. IMO.

Not great performances, but I don't think the results reflected the run of play.

Fulham maybe, but Sheffield United got a result because they outbattled us and they wanted it more than us.  That and Charlton were the low points of the season for me, never mind games in which we were unlucky not to get a result.

The games that spring to mind for me are Fulham, Charlton and Boro. If my alcohol buffudled memory serves me right we played some nice football but lacked that cutting edge upfront and were too soft at the back meaning that for all our nice play we didnt take much from the matches.

So we weren't unlucky then, we just weren't good enough?  Don't get me wrong, I know that we SHOULD have picked up wins in these games, but that we didn't was down to our own shortcomings, not luck.

It was mentioned at the time.  Shepherd had allowed the game to be moved forward for Sky despite the midweek game and a lot of people were angry about that.

I was specifically meaning IRL after the match.

Duff and Rossi up front, though... those were the days.

Guest Jangles

So we weren't unlucky then, we just weren't good enough?  Don't get me wrong, I know that we SHOULD have picked up wins in these games, but that we didn't was down to our own shortcomings, not luck.

The point I was trying to make was that to an extent we're making our own luck at the moment - you need to buy a ticket to win the lottery

Early in the season we continually backed off in defence and were reluctant to shoot/cross when in decent positions. This meant we tended to lose/draw games we shouldve won.

We still lack organisation in defence, but we're no longer a soft touch with players prepared to throw themselves infront of shots and trying to give players less time on the ball. And upfront we're more prepared to take a shot or the get the ball in early