Talk Sport on Everton "small club" question

Guest Phil K

During the week I was rivetted (more amusement than anything) to Talk Sport for an hour or so when they discussed this.

As you probably know, two of their number (Alvin Martin and Alan Parry) are Everton fans.

The praise and rating of Everton was as ridiculous as Benitez's claim of "small club"

When a typical Celtic fan cam on - bulging eyed and drooling like most of em, undoubtably - claiming Celtic to be the biggest club in the world, because blah blah blah, Parry claimed that Everton were bigger than Celtic. Rumpus ensuing, with Martin agreeing with Parry.

But how would you rate these two ?

I rate Celtic NOT as big as Man U or Real Madrid or quite a few others. And its touch and go with Liverpool.

Everton ?

Don't make me laugh.

Big though.

Guest andynufc84

I think Everton are a big club to be honest..

It depends how you class what a 'big club' is

Everton have a fantastic fan base, good tradition etc..

Well, however big Everton are, they're not bigger than Celtic, it pains me to say.  Celtic are a pretty big club, all things considered (being stuck in Scotland for one), and for anyone to claim Everton are then bigger, they're going to need to justify that.

Undoubtably - thats what I said.

They are one of the biggest clubs - but they suffer from ManCity-ism, the more glamourous and succesfull local neighbours, and the baffling need to belittle everyone else's standing then getting ratty when those they are attacking point out a few uncomfortable facts about THEM.

Everton for instance - in this same show, Parry and Martin went on and on about their fine history, and when they were number one - the same people who mock Newcastle fans for doing the same.

"This is NOW, not THEN" they'd say smirking.

"When did you last win anything ?"

But then they do the same.

ManCity-ism I call it for good reason.

yeah Celtic are a massive club

Everton arn't a 'bigger' club, but they are still a big club

Which is what I said.

Guest andynufc84

Undoubtably - thats what I said.

They are one of the biggest clubs - but they suffer from ManCity-ism, the more glamourous and succesfull local neighbours, and the baffling need to belittle everyone else's standing then getting ratty when those they are attacking point out a few uncomfortable facts.

Everton for instance - in this same show, Parry and Martin went on and on about their fine history, and when they were number one - the same people who mock Newcastle fans for doing the same.

"This is NOW, not THEN" they'd say smirking.

"When did you last win anything ?"

But then they do the same.

ManCity-ism I call it for good reason.

yeah Celtic are a massive club

Everton arn't a 'bigger' club, but they are still a big club

Which is what I said.

yeah agreed,

I quite like Everton actually, I like how Liverpool expected to beat them comfortably at Anfield, Eveton shut up shop and Benitez got a lip on.

Celtic only have their massive 'fanbase' because of their strong association with Catholicism, f****** ridiculous imo

True, but getting less true as the years go by, though.

I went to a wedding a couple of years back in Scotland, and it was at the brides church - a Church of Scotland one - as opposed to my relatives Church of England one, (superb old church it was too by the way) and the entire family where Celtic fanatics, and where ardent protestants. More of this, and catholic Rangers fans would help (there are far less of these, though)

Apparently there is developing a strange furtherance of the religous bias - Muslims seem to be identifying with Rangers, and Hindus and Seikhs with Celtic.

I read an interesting article in one of the broad sheets some months back about that.

Surprised me.

Everton will always be one of Englands big clubs

Certainly.

But, like Man City, they cant expect to get other clubs fans to always agree with how "big" they are when they are attacking the rating of similar sized clubs (us for example)

Guest andynufc84

Celtic only have their massive 'fanbase' because of their strong association with Catholicism, f****** ridiculous imo

True, but getting less true as the years go by, though.

I went to a wedding a couple of years back in Scotland, and it was at the brides church - a Church of Scotland one - and the entire family where Celtic fanatics, and where ardent protestants. More of this, and catholic Rangers fans would help (there are far less of these, though)

Apparently there is developing a strange furtherance of the religous bias - Muslims seem to be identifying with Rangers, and Hindus and Seikhs with Celtic.

I read an interesting article in one of the broad sheets some months back about that.

Surprised me.

I spent some time in Glasgow last year and spoke to a lot of Rangers/Celtic fans

The rivalry is intense but I got the impression that its not as intense as it used to be.

I spoke to an absolutely avid Rangers fan, you couldn't meet a more passionate Rangers fan believe me! He said that he hates Aberdeen more than Celtic, goes back to an infamous tackle from an Aberdeen player on a Rangers player.

However come match day, Celtic/Rangers is still the most intense football derby anywhere in the world. Especially now Rangers are likely to improve under Smith, its gonna get more fierce in the next few seasons.

To be fair, Everton's trophy list would be greater than it is if not for the European ban in the 80's. They had a superb team the season they won the league and the Cup Winners Cup.

Hypothetical, but I think they'd have taken some stopping in the European Cup if they'd been allowed to compete on that stage. Had that happened I think they'd have grown bigger and improved even further as a club. Instead the ban held them back. Ironic that the ban was caused by Liverpool fans.