Mediocrity

Guest TheOrder

Every day I hear 'we were mediocre today', 'if you wan't to settle for mediocrity, fine', 'we have a mediocre manager'.

Aye, we are, we're an average premiership team, with a mediocre manager and a mediocre squad. So why the shock when we get beat. An average team means we'll get beat by the lower teams sometimes, and maybe we'll show up against the big teams.

I don't like it, but thats what we are. I was at Wigan yesterday, and I was canny hurt. But It's what I expected, really. Most of us knew what was going to happen. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but we'll have to settle for it for the time being. What else can we do?

You can slag individuals off till you're blue in the face, but most of them are average, so what can you expect?

We shouldn't settle for mediocrity, if we do that then we'll really have the piss ripped out of us by the club.  Going on about things on here probably doesn't help much but I'd rather do it than just except anything as being good enough.

What is "mediocrity" these days anyway?

The entire premiership outside the top four is entirely mediocre. Bolton are 5th for christ's sake. The gulf between the top four and the rest is so huge (and the media are doing their bit to ensure it stays that way) these days that clubs like us, you, Spurs, Everton, clubs whose fans have traditionally had real expectations, now find themselves practical no-hopers before a ball has been kicked.

Mediocrity is what you're supposed to settle for these days if you don't support Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool.

Guest TheOrder

The entire premiership outside the top four is entirely mediocre. Bolton are 5th for christ's sake. The gulf between the top four and the rest is so huge (and the media are doing their bit to ensure it stays that way) these days that clubs like us, you, Spurs, Everton, clubs whose fans have traditionally had real expectations, now find themselves practical no-hopers before a ball has been kicked.

Mediocrity is what you're supposed to settle for these days if you don't support Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool.

Exactly. Or us, three or four years ago. Newcastle now, are nothing more than mediocre.

Everton finished 4th 2 seasons ago, Spurs had the chance to finish 4th last season but bottled it in the game against Arsenal.

Its possible to get up there.

Everton finished 4th 2 seasons ago, Spurs had the chance to finish 4th last season but bottled it in the game against Arsenal.

I take your point re Everton, but they still managed to win nothing, and Spurs nearly doing it isn't the same as doing it.

In the last eleven years, between them the current top 4 have won every FA Cup and every title. Depressing.

Michael Owen - Uefa Cup, FA Cup winner, played loads of CL

Oba Martins - won god knows what at Inter played loads of CL

Shay Given - One of best prem keepers for a decade

Kieron Dyer - England International

Milner - form of his life recently

Duff and Parker- Premiership Champions

Butt - Champions league, FA Cup, Premiership winner

Solano - Vastly capped, superb right foot

We shouldn't be s***. But we are. NUFC to a tee.

Note* Not one defender in that list.

Note* Regardless if there was we still would have only got a draw at Wigan.  Chelsea have still been winning without any CB`s fit. Alot of the shite teams above us have worse defenders yet they can score goals and still win. All teams conceed the odd goal from freak shots and freekicks, doesn`t metter who you have defence as long as you midfield and strikers can score a goal or 2. How many games have we lost 1-0 because we can`t score. I fail to see how its our defence that is always the problem. Not many teams these days in the premiership win without conceeding.

Note* Regardless if there was we still would have only got a draw at Wigan.  Chelsea have still been winning without any CB`s fit. Alot of the s**** teams above us have worse defenders yet they can score goals and still win. All teams conceed the odd goal from freak shots and freekicks, doesn`t metter who you have defence as long as you midfield and strikers can score a goal or 2. How many games have we lost 1-0 because we can`t score. I fail to see how its our defence that is always the problem. Not many teams these days in the premiership win without conceeding.

4 clean sheets in 28 league games is poor, regardless how many goals you score.

Note* Regardless if there was we still would have only got a draw at Wigan.  Chelsea have still been winning without any CB`s fit. Alot of the s**** teams above us have worse defenders yet they can score goals and still win. All teams conceed the odd goal from freak shots and freekicks, doesn`t metter who you have defence as long as you midfield and strikers can score a goal or 2. How many games have we lost 1-0 because we can`t score. I fail to see how its our defence that is always the problem. Not many teams these days in the premiership win without conceeding.

4 clean sheets in 28 league games is poor, regardless how many goals you score.

True. I still put this down to inconsistancy of the backfour lining up rather than plain shiteness.  Watching ManUre last night with a different back four reminded me of us, it was comical at times. They still had topclass defenders but because they don`t play week in week out they looked poor. Readings back four was different as well I think. I think changing one of your back four every now and then is ok but changing 2 or more every match has to be a main factor for letting in so many goals.

I take your point re Everton, but they still managed to win nothing, and Spurs nearly doing it isn't the same as doing it.

In the last eleven years, between them the current top 4 have won every FA Cup and every title. Depressing.

Both teams manage to win nothing but they are the teams going upward. Everton is snailing upwards and Tottenham rose rapidly. But Newcastle United?

At least there are hopes now for Aston Villa with a supportive chairman and decent ambitious manager.

Both teams manage to win nothing but they are the teams going upward. Everton is snailing upwards and Tottenham rose rapidly. But Newcastle United?

At least there are hopes now for Aston Villa with a supportive chairman and decent ambitious manager.

There are hopes, but to be honest, I suspect that the "elite" is now so entrenched, it is getting to the point where it will never change.