Steve Walton appionted new chief executive

stozo

Well done, Fred.

Step in the right direction definitely. :nods:

like you know anything about the bloke

he's only about one thing - money. He's a money man, end of. Even worse, he knows where the money is to be had in football - the gullible fans

the naivity on here never ceases to amaze

Is this you deliberately misrepresenting my post, in some kind of revenge gesture, because that's what I did to yours yesterday? ;)

I'm happy to play that game if you want. :tongue:

Did I say I knew anything about him?

My comment was about the appointment of someone, other than Fred, to the post of CEO, which is a good thing. As has been pointed out above, anyone with even the slightest bit of business knowledge would be aware that it is highly unusual in a company of NUFC's size for the position of Chairman of the Board and CEO to be held by the same person. It's highly unusual because it's widely considered to be "dodgy as fuck" (that's a technical term, by the way), as one is supposed to be the check on  the activities of the other. The fact that NUFC has had Fred in both roles for quite a while now is one of a number of reasons why investors have been reticent to invest in the club and the fact that the situation has now been rectified is therefore a step in the right direction.

You're right, he is a money man, although the fact that he has risen to a relatively senior position at Barclay's suggests that he should be quite a good money man to have on board. Personally, I'd have preferred to have had a CEO with more of a business, rather than finance, background, and I'm a little worried that this guy has been brought in to seek further debt-based funding, as that appears to be his area of expertise. But - as HTL can confirm - I've been saying for that Fred should bring some people with different experience and knowledge into the club at a senior level for ages and I've criticised him for not doing so. So, I'm not going to be petty enough not come out and support it, now that he has. However, I'd like to see a couple of additional appointments follow on from this because it isn't enough on its own.

Sorry Vic, but the only naivety I can see here is from you in suggesting that the money in football would come from anywhere other than from the fans. It all comes either directly or indirectly  from the pockets of the fans, isn't that obvious? Also, it's not always about squeezing more money from the long-suffering punters, sometimes - and I think this is particularly the case with NUFC - it's about using the money that you already get from them, better. This is where I think Fred is particularly poor, we're always up there with the big-boys when it comes to income, but that rarely, in fact never, gets reflected by the performance on the pitch. This proves that we spend our money in a less effective way than many other clubs, every pound we spend achieves less than a pound spent by Arsenal, for example.

A larger and better senior management team would, in my opinion, not only generate more income, but also improve the effectiveness of the ways in which the club spends the money it already gets. Hopefully this appointment is the first step in doing that, or you could say:

A step in the right direction.

:coolsmiley:

A new angle, fresh thoughts and hopefully some sensible ideas on how to cut down our debt & spending, improve turnover & expand business opportunities so we can fund better players in the future.

Like to see how much the guy is earning for this, but no doubt his yearly wages is half that of Owen's monthly wage so no real worry there.

We need a football man in there though, i hope Freddy doesn't think thats him, but no doubt he does.  :rolleyes:

A football man Vs money man head to head in the boardroom should be able to pan out the best of ideas for the club, a good balance between them, if thats how things work at that level, i do not know.

Anyway, am in agreement, its good news to get someone else on board, this shower of shite simply are not good enough to run a tap nevermind a football club.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Well done, Fred.

Step in the right direction definitely. :nods:

like you know anything about the bloke

he's only about one thing - money. He's a money man, end of. Even worse, he knows where the money is to be had in football - the gullible fans

the naivity on here never ceases to amaze

Is this you deliberately misrepresenting my post, in some kind of revenge gesture, because that's what I did to yours yesterday? ;)

I'm happy to play that game if you want. :tongue:

Did I say I knew anything about him?

My comment was about the appointment of someone, other than Fred, to the post of CEO, which is a good thing. As has been pointed out above, anyone with even the slightest bit of business knowledge would be aware that it is highly unusual in a company of NUFC's size for the position of Chairman of the Board and CEO to be held by the same person. It's highly unusual because it's widely considered to be "dodgy as fuck" (that's a technical term, by the way), as one is supposed to be the check on  the activities of the other. The fact that NUFC has had Fred in both roles for quite a while now is one of a number of reasons why investors have been reticent to invest in the club and the fact that the situation has now been rectified is therefore a step in the right direction.

You're right, he is a money man, although the fact that he has risen to a relatively senior position at Barclay's suggests that he should be quite a good money man to have on board. Personally, I'd have preferred to have had a CEO with more of a business, rather than finance, background, and I'm a little worried that this guy has been brought in to seek further debt-based funding, as that appears to be his area of expertise. But - as HTL can confirm - I've been saying for that Fred should bring some people with different experience and knowledge into the club at a senior level for ages and I've criticised him for not doing so. So, I'm not going to be petty enough not come out and support it, now that he has. However, I'd like to see a couple of additional appointments follow on from this because it isn't enough on its own.

Sorry Vic, but the only naivety I can see here is from you in suggesting that the money in football would come from anywhere other than from the fans. It all comes either directly or indirectly  from the pockets of the fans, isn't that obvious? Also, it's not always about squeezing more money from the long-suffering punters, sometimes - and I think this is particularly the case with NUFC - it's about using the money that you already get from them, better. This is where I think Fred is particularly poor, we're always up there with the big-boys when it comes to income, but that rarely, in fact never, gets reflected by the performance on the pitch. This proves that we spend our money in a less effective way than many other clubs, every pound we spend achieves less than a pound spent by Arsenal, for example.

A larger and better senior management team would, in my opinion, not only generate more income, but also improve the effectiveness of the ways in which the club spends the money it already gets. Hopefully this appointment is the first step in doing that, or you could say:

A step in the right direction.

:coolsmiley:

A new angle, fresh thoughts and hopefully some sensible ideas on how to cut down our debt & spending, improve turnover & expand business opportunities so we can fund better players in the future.

Like to see how much the guy is earning for this, but no doubt his yearly wages is half that of Owen's monthly wage so no real worry there.

We need a football man in there though, i hope Freddy doesn't think thats him, but no doubt he does.  :rolleyes:

A football man Vs money man head to head in the boardroom should be able to pan out the best of ideas for the club, a good balance between them, if thats how things work at that level, i do not know.

Anyway, am in agreement, its good news to get someone else on board, this shower of shite simply are not good enough to run a tap nevermind a football club.

you missed the bit that he's been brought in for his 'football experience' then?

or are you saying fred is the money man and this guy is the football man?