Todays/Thursdays other UEFA cup games

Guest nufc 4 life

Guest optimistic nit

nah. last attack only works if the plays dead. it was 2vs1, ref blows and you have a scandal akin to that in the wimbledon facup game a few years back. (your point b basically, i should learn to read ;) )

Guest kingdawson

I love how you've ignored the fact that I agreed with you that it was right to be played on.

All I'm saying is a few years ago there was a rule called last attack, and thus when West Ham got the corner it was LAST ATTACK and so as soon as they lost the ball that would have been it. However:

a) I don't know if that rule still exists and

b) It would have been ridiculous if the ref had blown for full time when you had 4 on 1 in your favour, like I stated quite a while ago.

Please learn to read.

Yes and what i am saying is the corner was cleared and the ref still let them have more time to get the ball back in the box thus the corner was NOT the last attack. Your point would have made perfect sense if we had countered straight from the corner but we didnt so your point is wrong. Sorry about that :coolsmiley:

Let me refer you to my first post on the matter:

It was to their advantage but surely once it had been cleared that was full time, or was "last attack" abolished some time ago?

Here you see I asked the question if the last attack rule still existed. When West Ham still had the ball in the final 3rd, that to me is still an attack. Once Spurs came away with it, that is a different attack. Now before you go off on one again, I think the ref did right playing on. Several hours ago (it seems) I said that the ref made a decision in your favour by not blowing for full time when you nicked the ball off Zamora because like I say, you counter attacking is a different attack. Nyt has since pointed out that last attack is alive until the ball is dead, answering the question.

I can't believe this discussion is still going on.

Guest smoggeordie

Braga 2 Tottenham Hotspur 3

Celta Vigo 0 Werder Bremen 1

Lens 2 Bayer Leverkusen 1

Rangers 1 Osasuna 1

Maccabi Haifa 0 Espanyol 0

PSG 2 Benfica 1

Newcastle 4 AZ Alkmaar 2

Sevilla 2 Shakhtar Donetsk 2

Wide open competition. Anyone of 4 or 5 teams could win it.

Braga 2 Tottenham Hotspur 3

Celta Vigo 0 Werder Bremen 1

Lens 2 Bayer Leverkusen 1

Rangers 1 Osasuna 1

Maccabi Haifa 0 Espanyol 0

PSG 2 Benfica 1

Newcastle 4 AZ Alkmaar 2

Sevilla 2 Shakhtar Donetsk 2

Wide open competition. Anyone of 4 or 5 teams could win it.

Out of that lot I fancy Spurs, Bremen, Bayer Leverkusen, Osasuna, Espanyol, Benfica, The Toon, and Sevilla to

move on.  Worried about our next match, but an away goal or two should seal it.  Hopefully. 

So, out of those teams, I think we're in with a shout.  Ranking the teams to win it looks something like this (imo):

1. Bremen (Played great in the CL and seem to have kept it up in this comp.)

2. Sevilla (Cup holders, know what it takes to win and have the talent.)

3. Spurs (As much as I hate the Cockney Mackems, they have more quality than us.)

4. The Toon (On our day, we can beat any of these teams, defending is a worry as always.)

5. Benfica  (Very strong on home turf, not that convincing away from Lisbon)

6. Bayer Lev (Better club than they showed today, were down to 10 men and Lens won with a PK)

7. Espanyol (Could be a dark horse, some decent results for them)

8. Osasuna  (Think they'll get past Rangers, but defo a weaker side)

Like NSG said, though, there are 4-5 teams that could win it.