Geordies

Lenny

Guest Knightrider

The media do overdo the "Geordie Nation" bollocks like, which to be fair we are more than adept at fueling, but in general we are like most major footballing cities when it comes to supporting our club. What I have found different is that here in Newcastle, even those that aren't interested in football or could care to tell you what our last result was or who even plays for us, mostly want NUFC to do well and class the club as "we", "us" or "the club" Geordie pride I call it, anything that represents Newcastle and its people will get the backing of the people, whether that be a Geordie Big Brother contestant or a Geordie actor, extending all the way to NUFC. I haven't sensed the same anywhere else in the country which is perhaps why the media will say things like "supporting the Toon ranks up there with breathing for Geordies".

My mother is the perfect example of someone who doesn't support the club, but will come out with things like "I see we won the other day" or "that Roeder's doing a bad job, should never have gotten rid of Bobby". Stuff like that.

What do you care mother...

They don't really, not like you or I who buy season tickets and sit and fret on here after a defeat, but as the club dominates most things people are very much aware of it, and as proud Geordies, people see the club as representing us and the city up against other cities and other people so they want the club to do well.

The perception that we are all Toon daft is wrong, but compared to most other cities and towns, then it would be correct.

I was on the phone the other week to Sky (about my dish) and the Scottish bloke on the other end, on recognising my accent, said "big game coming up (AZ), fancy your chances"? He just assumed (correctly as it turned out) that I was a Newcastle fan. And I get this a lot, no matter where I go, Geordie = Toon fan to most people.

And when a Geordie turns around and says "not interested in footy mate"? Well, people are shocked, like the person in the opening post.

I think the huge explosion of the fanbase in the Keegan era is slowly coming to an end- witness the recent poor cup gates. I think the coming seasons will continue with reduced attendances until prices are lowered or the team begins to compete again.

ps- Shouldnt this be in the Football Forum?

yeah i wasnt really sure to be honest where it should be! plus i thought if this thread was to die on its arse not as many people would notice if it was in the chat section! ;)

Guest alijmitchell

Out of the people I know in Newcastle, there are really not loads of people who would regularly go to the match like. Maybe this is because a lot of the traditional working class Newcastle fans have been unable to cope with the financial demands of supporting the club. Football here it seems, like most other places, is becoming a middle class sport, and many are becoming alienated. Also, it doesn't help that there really isn't the feelgood factor around the club these days. Having said that, out of my family, both me and my sister are season ticket holders, and the rest of the family know how the lads are getting on, who plays for us, how we did in the last match. Even my grandma calls up and chats to me about the team! I think it's all just symptomatic of the way football is turning these days.  :(

I think the huge explosion of the fanbase in the Keegan era is slowly coming to an end- witness the recent poor cup gates. I think the coming seasons will continue with reduced attendances until prices are lowered or the team begins to compete again.

ps- Shouldnt this be in the Football Forum?

The fanbase has always been there, it didn't explode during the Keegan era and it is still there today. What happened during the Keegan time is that the club started to try to be successful, so more people from that fanbase were prepared to spend their money and go to the match.

Okay, "the fan base" may not have increased but the amount of fans turning up at the turnstiles, certainly did.

At least you realise it was Keegan who is the person behind the fortunes on the pitch.

However, I would be curious to know who exactly you think the new Keegan could be though, as the board have continued to back their managers to the same extent ever since, some of them with winning track records as good as you could find.

I also think one good spin off of having a few years of "mediocrity", is that it gets rid of such hangers on.

Newcastle United has always had a huge fanbase, and they will always support the club if the club are showing the ambition to be successful, and the "explosion of the Keegan years" that you talk about is a reflection of how poorly run the club was for decades previous to that. When you have the time, you can tell us if you think it is possible the club could be run again by a poor board, or not, and if not, why not ?

I was amazed when I walked into Uni yesterday and 2 mates asked me what the Newcastle score was.  When I said "2-0" they said "so we're out then?"  I wanted to decapitate the fuckers.

I was amazed when I walked into Uni yesterday and 2 mates asked me what the Newcastle score was.  When I said "2-0" they said "so we're out then?"  I wanted to decapitate the fuckers.

not being funny mate, but where were they when the match was on ITV ?

Really original title I know but.....

Are geordies as a whole as fanatical about football as people say they are? I only really ask because the one time I was in Newcastle (Im from Kent) I got in a cab and started the usual conversation as you do, and I mentioned I was up for my birthday watching the Olympiacos game, and the bloke didnt even know we were playing them and told me he werent really into football! I was shocked!!! Everyone always says how everyone in Newcastle is so passionate about their football, I must have met the only fucker that dont give a shit!

so yeah, was just wonderin!

As far as i know, there isn't a law stating that EVERY SINGLE inhabitant of a region that is fanmous for liking football HAS to be zealot.

Are geordies as a whole as fanatical about football as people say they are? I only really ask because the one time I was in Newcastle (Im from Kent) I got in a cab and started the usual conversation as you do, and I mentioned I was up for my birthday watching the Olympiacos game, and the bloke didnt even know we were playing them and told me he werent really into football! I was shocked!!! Everyone always says how everyone in Newcastle is so passionate about their football, I must have met the only fucker that dont give a s***!

As far as i know, there isn't a law stating that EVERY SINGLE inhabitant of a region that is fanmous for liking football HAS to be zealot.

well i didnt actually say there was, i was more interested in what people who live around the area had to say about their reputation!

Are geordies as a whole as fanatical about football as people say they are? I only really ask because the one time I was in Newcastle (Im from Kent) I got in a cab and started the usual conversation as you do, and I mentioned I was up for my birthday watching the Olympiacos game, and the bloke didnt even know we were playing them and told me he werent really into football! I was shocked!!! Everyone always says how everyone in Newcastle is so passionate about their football, I must have met the only fucker that dont give a s***!

well i didnt actually say there was, i was more interested in what people who live around the area had to say about their reputation!

According to your post, you're asking BECAUSE you got in a taxi, and the fella knew fuck all.

Geordies aren't particularly fanatical compared to anyone else. Thats just one of those pathetic "sky lies".

According to your post, you're asking BECAUSE you got in a taxi, and the fella knew f*** all.

Geordies aren't particularly fanatical compared to anyone else. Thats just one of those pathetic "sky lies".

You're right the reason I am asking is primarily because I got in a taxi and the bloke knew fuck all, whats your point? It just prompted me think about whether it is all over hyped by the media or not and wanted the opinion of the locals.

The Geordie's love their football bit has come about because the people identify their love of the region with the club. When you see a 50 year-old women walking down the street with a B&W scarf it's most likely saying, 'I'm a proud Geordie' more than it's saying, 'I love NUFC'.

It's like seeing a Scot with a Saltire and saying, 'Wow, that fella must really like St. Andrew.'