Roy Keane or Glenn Roeder?

Guest thenorthumbrian

nothing has gone against keane as a manager yet

he took over a club that were a laughing stock and had no expectations, was given money to spend (comparatively a lot by the standards of that division) and has taken them up the league....

if they go up, and it's STILL an if, then the time judge him will be when they have a bad run in the PL...he's notorious for his temper and the walking away from ireland incident suggests he might not react well to adversity

also if they come close to going up and fail, then that'll be a good time to start judging him - how he would react to it....would he spit the dummy out and walk away or dig in?  remains to be seen

nothing has gone against keane as a manager yet

he took over a club that were a laughing stock and had no expectations, was given money to spend (comparatively a lot by the standards of that division) and has taken them up the league....

if they go up, and it's STILL an if, then the time judge him will be when they have a bad run in the PL...he's notorious for his temper and the walking away from ireland incident suggests he might not react well to adversity

also if they come close to going up and fail, then that'll be a good time to start judging him - how he would react to it....would he spit the dummy out and walk away or dig in?  remains to be seen

Keane has his faults, but I don't see him as a quitter. The Ireland incident arose out of stubborness. McCarthy rather foolishly drove him into a corner and Keane refused to back down. I'm not saying Keane did the right thing, but the whole affair wasn't handled right.

I think Keane will prove himself as a top manager, but I'd far rather we swapped Chairmen instead. Quinn is an intelligent guy, he understands the game and he doesn't interfere with his manager's judgement. Shepherd is the opposite on all three counts.

Keane would never manage Newcastle.

There is just too much antipathy between Newcastle fans/Shearer and Keane, and that is just as a player. It would be even worse now he has managed Sunderland.

Remember that he has already had a go at us and Shearer once this season.

Guest TheOrder

Keane would never manage Newcastle.

There is just too much antipathy between Newcastle fans/Shearer and Keane, and that is just as a player. It would be even worse now he has managed Sunderland.

Remember that he has already had a go at us and Shearer once this season.

Plus he's a cunt.

Guest Knightrider

I'd far rather we swapped Chairmen instead.

Agreed, bias and piss taking aside, Quinn is a good bloke. I thought he was very brave taking on the mackems and for me, more footballers should get into club management at that level as he has done, as they more than anyone understand the game and while football is also a business, you can hire those kind of people to run things for you. It will be interesting to see how they shape up off the pitch under him, so far they are heading in the right direction.

Back to the Keane debate, I remember a certain Peter Reid doing a fantastic job for them, in his first real management stint too, and was touted for the England job at one point, yet he can't get a job today.

Football is so fickle and the line between success and failure so thin, it is literally a lottery even for the better managers, so many things determine success and indeed failure, luck for example plays a massive part as does timing, money, even the media today has an influence and can help decide your fate.

I think what will stand him in good stead are his principles and his standards, already he is laying down good foundations in that sense.

Guest Knightrider

Man City was Reid's first job as a manager.

I know, he finished 5th I think with them, but it was a brief job IIRC and wasn't he also player manager? Could be wrong like, anyway I did say his first real management stint ;)

I know, he finished 5th I think with them, but it was a brief job IIRC and wasn't he also player manager? Could be wrong like, anyway I did say his first real management stint ;)

Most of one season (after he took over from Howard Wilkinson) then two full seasons after that iirc. Came 5th twice then got sacked for coming mid-table I think. His first real stint anyway.

Guest Knightrider

Most of one season (after he took over from Howard Wilkinson) then two full seasons after that iirc. Came 5th twice then got sacked for coming mid-table I think. His first real stint anyway.

Ah, I bow down to your footy knowledge, I didn't even know HW managed City! Cheers.

Ah, I bow down to your footy knowledge, I didn't even know HW managed City! Cheers.

He didn't mate, I meant Howard Kendall.

Guest Knightrider

I take it back then, you know-nowt ;)

I take it back then, you know-nowt ;)

That I do know ;)