Liverpool’s Evolution Since Istanbul

Delima

The squad depth of the current Liverpool is impressive, and is done without over-spending. But like most other sides they lack a genuine cutting edge in a free scoring forward. Before the season started I thought Liverpool would be a title contender but Bellamy, an astute business nonetheless, has flopped. Both Pennant and Gonzales too. It would be really interesting if Benitez acquires Villa in this summer.

Squarefootball

"Benitez still has his tactical mastery but the squad is also considerably improved from the one he operated with in 2005 and that’s why Liverpool are a side that no one wanted to draw last week"

It’s fair to say that Liverpool lifting the Champions League in 2005 was a bit ahead of schedule, even for a manager with a record like Rafa Benitez. Most of the players were Houllier era signings but this year the team is much more the Spaniard’s selection.

By removing Barcelona in the last 16 Liverpool are inviting comparisons with their run in 2005 when they disposed of 3 sides of the highest quality to lift the prize. Like Barcelona last week, Juventus, Chelsea and Milan were all considered to have better players but were brushed aside.

Benitez still has his tactical mastery but the squad is also considerably improved from the one he operated with in 2005 and that’s why Liverpool are a side that no one wanted to draw last week.

Goalkeeper

Like Sandor Westerveld before him, Jerzy Dudek’s last real contribution of note was to be part of a European trophy winning side. Benitez moved to bring Pepe Reina into the side and though some would say he has occasional lapses, the Spanish keeper looks a bit more secure than the Pole.

Defence

Jamie Carragher remains the rock around which the side is built but Sami Hyppia is no longer a fixture. Dan Agger had the shirt against Barcelona in both games, although the Finn is still a valued member of the squad.

The full backs Steve Finnan and John Arne Riise are still the men in possession- they have seen off the likes of Josemi, Kromkamp and Warnock but they still face a stiff challenge from Arbeloa and Aurelio. Overall the position has far more depth then in 2005 because in the 2005 Final Liverpool used Djimi Traore as Riise was in left midfield.

Midfield

Xabi Alonso and Steven Gerrard are the pivot of the midfield as they were in 2005. They have been joined by Momo Sissoko who gives the team a far more destructive presence than Didi Hamann, who did such a good job in the second half in Istanbul. Hamann had been a great servant but Sissoko’s athleticism is amazing

In the wide positions, injury to Luis Garcia has cut down some of Benitez’s options- Garcia has been especially valuable in Europe. However, he has Jermaine Pennant and Mark Gonzalez to call on rather than the injury prone Harry Kewell and increasingly ineffective Bolo Zenden.

Wide men find it tough to break in under this manager anyway. Gerrard usually roams in from one wing and sometimes the other berth is filled by Riise, Aurelio or Finnan (as against Barcelona in the Nou Camp).

Strikers

In Istanbul Liverpool relied on Milan Baros, supported initially from deeper by Harry Kewell. Djibril Cisse wasn’t able to play a full game but did get on, as did the always erratic Vladimir Smicer.

This was time when Smicer did come up trumps but this collection of strikers had no real target man and two players who often dribbled into blind alleys. By comparison Benitez now has a proper target man with touch (Crouch), a roving grafter (Kuyt), a player with pace to burn who can pull wide (Bellamy) and a box man (Fowler).

Though he‘s showing signs that he may replace at least two of these, maybe even three next season, they are a much better hand than he had in 2005.

Conclusion

So that’s Benitez’s undoubted tactical nous, plus a squad full of seasoned players at this level and one that is significantly better in at least four positions and arguably, five or six. A repeat could well be on.

Istanbul 2005

Dudek, Finnan (Hamann 45), Carragher, Hyppia, Traore, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Gerrard, Riise, Kewell (Smicer 23), Baros (Cisse 85).

Barcelona 2007

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Finnan, Alonso, Sissoko (Zenden 84), Gerrard, Bellamy, Kuyt (Pennant 80).

Hugh Larkin

12 March 2007

It does seem that the Liverpool squad has improved bounds in two years time, and it happened so unobtrousively that hardly anyone noticed.

I do still think that Liverpool lacks the critical mass of truly world-class players they need to seriously challenge for the title though.

I'd go as far as to say that they're one Steven Gerrard away from being no better than Bolton or an in-form Cockney Mackems.

Villa would shake things up, but unless they get a silly money injection, I don't think they'll be challenging for the title anytime in the immediate future.

Guest nufc_geordie

It does seem that the Liverpool squad has improved bounds in two years time, and it happened so unobtrousively that hardly anyone noticed.

I do still think that Liverpool lacks the critical mass of truly world-class players they need to seriously challenge for the title though.

I'd go as far as to say that they're one Steven Gerrard away from being no better than Bolton or an in-form Cockney Mackems.

Villa would shake things up, but unless they get a silly money injection, I don't think they'll be challenging for the title anytime in the immediate future.

Xavi Alonso is also a world class player, Gerrard is not their only one! Liverpools players are clearly better than the Boltons and Evertons and Spurs of the world, if they had a 20-25 goals a season man they would be up there challenging for the title easily I think~!

Guest WalkervilleMag

Liverpool tend to play better in europe, (just like us). In the Premiership i feel they are very average (just like us).

Liverpool tend to play better in europe, (just like us). In the Premiership i feel they are very average (just like us).

Yeah, their league position over the last 3 years has just been like us!

:uglystupid2:

I don't think that Liverpool short of world class players other than forwards.

Carragher, Alonso, Gerrard - World class.

Reina, Riise, Finnan, Agger, Sissoko, Kuyt - Good enough

Crouch, Bellamy, Gonzalesc, Pennant - Not good enough.

I really do think that they are lacking only a world class striker to be a devastating side. If you look at the league table, they only concede 20 goals, about the same with Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. But the number of goals they score is significantly less than the former 3. And the forwards can't complain that they don't get enough service, especially a certain Newcastle outcast.

The squad depth of the current Liverpool is impressive, and is done without over-spending. But like most other sides they lack a genuine cutting edge in a free scoring forward. Before the season started I thought Liverpool would be a title contender but Bellamy, an astute business nonetheless, has flopped. Both Pennant and Gonzales too. It would be really interesting if Benitez acquires Villa in this summer.

Squarefootball

"Benitez still has his tactical mastery but the squad is also considerably improved from the one he operated with in 2005 and that’s why Liverpool are a side that no one wanted to draw last week"

It’s fair to say that Liverpool lifting the Champions League in 2005 was a bit ahead of schedule, even for a manager with a record like Rafa Benitez. Most of the players were Houllier era signings but this year the team is much more the Spaniard’s selection.

By removing Barcelona in the last 16 Liverpool are inviting comparisons with their run in 2005 when they disposed of 3 sides of the highest quality to lift the prize. Like Barcelona last week, Juventus, Chelsea and Milan were all considered to have better players but were brushed aside.

Benitez still has his tactical mastery but the squad is also considerably improved from the one he operated with in 2005 and that’s why Liverpool are a side that no one wanted to draw last week.

Goalkeeper

Like Sandor Westerveld before him, Jerzy Dudek’s last real contribution of note was to be part of a European trophy winning side. Benitez moved to bring Pepe Reina into the side and though some would say he has occasional lapses, the Spanish keeper looks a bit more secure than the Pole.

Defence

Jamie Carragher remains the rock around which the side is built but Sami Hyppia is no longer a fixture. Dan Agger had the shirt against Barcelona in both games, although the Finn is still a valued member of the squad.

The full backs Steve Finnan and John Arne Riise are still the men in possession- they have seen off the likes of Josemi, Kromkamp and Warnock but they still face a stiff challenge from Arbeloa and Aurelio. Overall the position has far more depth then in 2005 because in the 2005 Final Liverpool used Djimi Traore as Riise was in left midfield.

Midfield

Xabi Alonso and Steven Gerrard are the pivot of the midfield as they were in 2005. They have been joined by Momo Sissoko who gives the team a far more destructive presence than Didi Hamann, who did such a good job in the second half in Istanbul. Hamann had been a great servant but Sissoko’s athleticism is amazing

In the wide positions, injury to Luis Garcia has cut down some of Benitez’s options- Garcia has been especially valuable in Europe. However, he has Jermaine Pennant and Mark Gonzalez to call on rather than the injury prone Harry Kewell and increasingly ineffective Bolo Zenden.

Wide men find it tough to break in under this manager anyway. Gerrard usually roams in from one wing and sometimes the other berth is filled by Riise, Aurelio or Finnan (as against Barcelona in the Nou Camp).

Strikers

In Istanbul Liverpool relied on Milan Baros, supported initially from deeper by Harry Kewell. Djibril Cisse wasn’t able to play a full game but did get on, as did the always erratic Vladimir Smicer.

This was time when Smicer did come up trumps but this collection of strikers had no real target man and two players who often dribbled into blind alleys. By comparison Benitez now has a proper target man with touch (Crouch), a roving grafter (Kuyt), a player with pace to burn who can pull wide (Bellamy) and a box man (Fowler).

Though he‘s showing signs that he may replace at least two of these, maybe even three next season, they are a much better hand than he had in 2005.

Conclusion

So that’s Benitez’s undoubted tactical nous, plus a squad full of seasoned players at this level and one that is significantly better in at least four positions and arguably, five or six. A repeat could well be on.

Istanbul 2005

Dudek, Finnan (Hamann 45), Carragher, Hyppia, Traore, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Gerrard, Riise, Kewell (Smicer 23), Baros (Cisse 85).

Barcelona 2007

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Finnan, Alonso, Sissoko (Zenden 84), Gerrard, Bellamy, Kuyt (Pennant 80).

Hugh Larkin

12 March 2007

zzzzzzzzz

is everyone becoming fickle - and whinging and diverting attention to other clubs - just because we aren't 2nd in the league anymore ?

On toontastic they are becoming infatuated with Spurs.

Guest Gemmill

zzzzzzzzz

is everyone becoming fickle - and whinging and diverting attention to other clubs - just because we aren't 2nd in the league anymore ?

Never mind 2nd, we won't even be 5th best (on average) soon if things continue the way they are.  What a day it'll be when you have to revise that little stat downwards. :lol:

"So how about the fact we are 5th 6th best on average over the last decade then?  How do you think the other 87 86 clubs below us feel?  I think they would love a chairman like ours."

By the way, who told you about that stuff on Toontastic?  Was it your good mate Leazes Mag? :lol:

Guest Knightrider

Liverpool have strengthened their squad which can't be in doubt but that Final team is a much of a muchness to the current one, they've replaced certain players with no real jump in quality for me. For Cisse read Kuyt, for Kewell read Pennant, for Dudek read Reina. They have a good squad, but they lack real quality in defence, especially at LB and alongside Carragher, they are very weak on the flanks too and up front they don't have one world-class striker which the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea do.

zzzzzzzzz

Never mind 2nd, we won't even be 5th best (on average) soon if things continue the way they are.  What a day it'll be when you have to revise that little stat downwards. :lol:

"So how about the fact we are 5th 6th best on average over the last decade then?  How do you think the other 87 86 clubs below us feel?  I think they would love a chairman like ours."

By the way, who told you about that stuff on Toontastic?  Was it your good mate Leazes Mag? :lol:

Simply terrible, playing in the 2nd division europe - again - tomorrow. Ain't it Gemma baby  ;D

Absolute shit, in fact.

Guest Gemmill

zzzzzzzzz

Simply terrible, playing in the 2nd division europe - again - tomorrow. Ain't it Gemma baby  ;D

Absolute shit, in fact.

One Three bad appointments don't make him a bad chairman.

Guest andynufc84

Liverpool are a brilliant team imo, they may not be a team of stars (they do have some) but as a team they work fantastically together. The poor start to their season cost them a chance of winning the title probably. Great manager and set up at the club as well and I think they will only get stronger each season with Benitez in charge

To be fair they've been pretty fortunate with injuries this season. In central defence two or three serious injuries could totally cripple them as they only have Carragher, Agger and Hyppia.

No doubt they've improved as a squad though.

Guest Knightrider

Liverpool's rise is more down to Rafa than squad or player ability, which just goes to show the value in appointing a top manager, Freddy!