Diaby and Diarra in France squad

stalker

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=454518&CPID=219&clid=368&lid=554&title=France+call+Diaby+and+Diarra&channel=&

France call Diaby and Diarra

Midfield duo Abou Diaby and Lassana Diarra have been named in the France squad for the double-header against Lithuania and Austria later this month.

Arsenal's Diaby (pictured) and Chelsea's Diarra are not regulars for their clubs but have still done enough to be called up by their country for the first time.

Coach Raymond Domenech has also named Marseille's teenage striker Samir Nasri and Monaco frontman Frederic Piquionne in his 23-man squad.

"They are young players, they are playing - and for big clubs. It will be interesting to see them," said Domenech.

"I already have an idea about those who will start against Lithuania.

"We have injuries so it isn't an easy time for us. Both matches are important for us."

Domenech is without injured stars Thierry Henry, Franck Ribery, Louis Saha and captain Patrick Vieira, but there is no place for Juventus striker David Trezeguet.

Bolton striker Nicolas Anelka is selected alongside former Liverpool man Djibril Cisse.

Arsenal defender William Gallas is back, and there are also recalls for Lyon forwards Sylvain Wiltord and Karim Benzema, who return after long-term thigh injuries.

Les Bleus, who are level with Scotland at the top of Group B, play Lithuania in a Euro 2008 qualifier in Kaunas on 24th March and Austria in a friendly four days later in Paris.

Full squad: Coupet (Lyon), Landreau (Paris St Germain); Abidal (Lyon), Escude (Sevilla), Mexes (Roma), Squillaci, Clerc (both Lyon), Gallas (Arsenal), Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Thuram (Barcelona); Diaby (Arsenal), Makelele (Chelsea), Nasri (Marseille), Diarra (Chelsea), Mavuba (Bordeaux), Toulalan (Lyon); Anelka (Bolton), Cisse (Marseille), Malouda, Benzema, Govou, S Wiltord (all Lyon), Piquionne (Monaco).

This is why we'll end up losing N'Zogbia, 2 players who have done very little but play for big teams walk into the French full squad, N'Zogbia has struggled to even be included in the U21 squad.

N'Zogbia has done nothing this season to warrant a place in the France squad

Sad but true. If this was a year ago, then I'd be pretty annoyed he didn't get in the squad. He doesn't deserve to right now. But then, nor does Diarra really.

N'Zogbia has done nothing this season to warrant a place in the France squad

I was more talking about his performances last season when he couldn't even get into the U21 squad. I may be wrong but I think with the exception of Boumsong none of our French players have recieved a full cap while at Newcastle. I know Ginola fell out with the coach, but Robert was completely ignored and Bernard only ever made it into a preliminary squad (although that was probably fair enough).

N'Zogbia wont get a callup to the French squad as long as he fails to improve his general play. Like with Robert not getting picked ahead of that shiite Cheyrou, and Ginola before him, and Cantona too, the French national side want consistent performers as opposed to hit and miss flair players.

Zog's basic play is often shiite, and it was last season too - there were plenty of games where if he hadnt produced some magic, his contribution was nil and he had a piss poor game overall. Hes a great talent, but he needs to learn to play a passing game, which is required at international level. Pick the ball up, control it with technique, pass it around accurately, and then once in a while drive/dribble explosively like he can, when the opportunity to do so is there. In the Premiership, its great that hes so direct and willing to drive with the ball every time he gets it, but do that in a crunch game against a top international side with 10 technically excellent outfield players, and hed be a major liability when he finds he cant play the passing game because hes not developed it, and just loses the ball every time because hes looking to drive past players, which even the likes of Ronaldinho, Messi and Rooney cant do consistently at international level.

Theres also that arguement with Le Harve, or whichever club we signed him from, and the French FA holding a grudge against us/him because of it. But still, even if it werent in the equation, I still think the best hed get is a callup to the U21's at this point in time.