Duff: Is he finished?

Keefaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He needs to be given the bloody ball. Over the last few weeks I've been watching a lot closer and there are so many times he gets into a good position out wide, screaming for the ball and it never comes. I mean, tonight, all we did was lump it to sibierski, until they scored the second and even then we were still trying hopeless long ball stuff. If we actually tried to play a passing game, I'm convinced duff would shine.

Its amazing how people leap to Duff's defence and that he can recapture is old days after playing so many games more than Luque but hey Luque never had the skill and wasn't good at all from the begining...

I think a decent left back will do him wonders it will give him the option of playing one twos and having a player over lapping him rather than trying to beat the man everytime.  He'll also get far more of the ball, a winger is far more effective with a decent creative full back behind him just look at our right side when Carr plays there instead of Nobby we lose a huge amount of creativity.

I have to say this is the only post in this thread that makes any sense. Not surprisingly only a couple of other people have agreed with this so far despite it being such an obviously good point.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=37342.msg742133#msg742133

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

A consistent transition passing game will obviously help - one that will ultimately arrive in the event of Parker buggering off, because all too often he is 1st receiver & user of the ball in our own half - where the ball is delivered from of the centre out to the flanks quickly when the wingers are running off-the-ball at pace against a backtracking defending opposition outfield.

It's interesting that our transition/counterattacking game, in addition our 'wing play' and both aspects go hand-in-hand, improved a great deal during two periods within Roeder's tenureship ie. when Parker was out injured late last season & during the mid-point of the current campaign.

A consistent transition passing game will obviously help - one that will ultimately arrive in the event of Parker buggering off, because all too often he is 1st receiver & user of the ball in our own half - where the ball is delivered from of the centre out to the flanks quickly when the wingers are running off-the-ball at pace against a backtracking defending opposition outfield.

It's interesting that our transition/counterattacking game, in addition our 'wing play' and both aspects go hand-in-hand, improved a great deal during two periods within Roeder's tenureship ie. when Parker was out injured late last season & during the mid-point of the current campaign.

Yes, I agree wiith that too.

I hope you have your tin hat at the ready.....

I think a decent left back will do him wonders it will give him the option of playing one twos and having a player over lapping him rather than trying to beat the man everytime.  He'll also get far more of the ball, a winger is far more effective with a decent creative full back behind him just look at our right side when Carr plays there instead of Nobby we lose a huge amount of creativity.

I have to say this is the only post in this thread that makes any sense. Not surprisingly only a couple of other people have agreed with this so far despite it being such an obviously good point.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=37342.msg742133#msg742133

With regards to the "better fullback = better Duff" arguement, theres not been any explanation as to why Duff was exactly the same player for title winning Chelsea with the likes of Del Horno, Gallas and sometimes Bridge behind him. A hard working but extremely cautious player who rarely beat his man. Only possible arguement is to deny that Duff was as bad for them as he has been for us, which is shiite imo. Maybe harder to tell in a better team as the fact that he does nothing most of the time gets covered over, but still exactly the same player that was playing for Chelsea in his last 1-2 seasons there.

Guest robertbobo

With better man management and re-newed confidence i think he will come good

Give us a break, man management has nothing at all to do with this. Duff, plain and simply couldn't give a shit about playing for the black and white stripes.

When he is there. allegedly screaming for the ball in a good position (which is actually very rare, his movement is poor), and he gets it, what does he do? Fuck all. And who's fault is that? Not HIS, it seems...........its because no-one passes to him (a defunct argument as to why he loses the ball when he gets it).....because he has no decent LB behind him.......because he's playing in midfield next to a right footer (?!)......because he's a ginger.......never HIS fault, oh no.

Sell tbh. I don't care if he comes good elsewhere as I don't think he will here and I'd rather play N'Zogbia or Milner there any day.

With regards to the "better fullback = better Duff" arguement, theres not been any explanation as to why Duff was exactly the same player for title winning Chelsea with the likes of Del Horno, Gallas and sometimes Bridge behind him. A hard working but extremely cautious player who rarely beat his man. Only possible arguement is to deny that Duff was as bad for them as he has been for us, which is shiite imo. Maybe harder to tell in a better team as the fact that he does nothing most of the time gets covered over, but still exactly the same player that was playing for Chelsea in his last 1-2 seasons there.

I've never thought Duff was that good, tbh. Same as I think about Parker.

Yes, I agree wiith that too.

I hope you have your tin hat at the ready.....

Totally right about 'the top'. No vision, no idea of tempo, no idea of transitional phase play.

Guest Alex20

What do you expect duff to do when he's playing with handicapped players who can't even pass a fucking ball to an open man.

What do you expect duff to do when he's playing with handicapped players who can't even pass a f****** ball to an open man.

Strangely, people blame Duff and call him crap because they wanted the manager to sign a LB instead. It doesn't really matter what he does, tbh. The same people will slag him regardless. Fact is he's not great, but he's not bad either. He's a proven PL player for the left side who became available and we needed one.

What do you expect duff to do when he's playing with handicapped players who can't even pass a f****** ball to an open man.

Strangely, people blame Duff and call him crap because they wanted the manager to sign a LB instead. It doesn't really matter what he does, tbh. The same people will slag him regardless. Fact is he's not great, but he's not bad either. He's a proven PL player for the left side who became available and we needed one.

Aye, we needed a left winger more than a left back, as evinced by yesterday's performance :lol: - yesterday? The whole season. But in your quest to defend the undefendable and as a result gain the englightenment only the One Shepherd can give, you couldnt care less.

Needs to be pointed out that a certain Milner was also sitting on the bench, a player who has done more in about 3-4 games out on the left than Duff has done in 20. But again, your quest makes you KNOW for sure that Milner CANT play on the left.

The quest goes on. Tally ho!

Chlesea managed to win the title with handicapped players when Duff was there? Amazing.

Aye, we needed a left winger more than a left back, as evinced by yesterday's performance :lol: - yesterday? The whole season. But in your quest to defend the undefendable and as a result gain the englightenment only the One Shepherd can give, you couldnt care less.

Needs to be pointed out that a certain Milner was also sitting on the bench, a player who has done more in about 3-4 games out on the left than Duff has done in 20. But again, your quest makes you KNOW for sure that Milner CANT play on the left.

The quest goes on. Tally ho!

WOOP! WOOP!

LIAR ALERT!!!

Guest Armchair Pundit

Prefer Zoggy personally, Duff is just a supposed trophy signing that went wrong - sell him to the SPuds for an inflated price I say!

Guest Knightrider

There must be a way to get Duff back to his old best though, because im sure noone can point a finger as to why hes so shiite compared to his old self. Hes not much slower compared to what he used to be as he wasnt really that fast in the first place, maybe hes not quite as quick off the mark and on the turn but thats hard to tell when hes not playing the game like he used to in the first place.

I think its a mental thing - Mourinho has coached the flair out of Duff's game, and because of the immense competition, Duff has become scared to try things every time he gets the ball, which is what he used to do. Ive heard of a half-time team talk Mourinho had in a game (think it was against Brum) where Joe Cole was playing extremely well, but was performing all solo skills/dribbles, and Mourinho categorically told him in front of all the players that if he ever played like that again, hed sell him straight away. That type of "play badly once, give the ball away once, get dropped" type environment has probably killed much of Duff's game, and now hes something else.

That's an excellent point you know, and one I wouldn't mind being true, because at least then it could perhaps be reversed and I know de-coaching does happen.

Guest Magic

And yet the main problem with Duff is that he's been trying to do too much on his own all season. What chance does he have? Our left backs never overlap or support properly. Most of the time he's having to help them out defensively because they're actually teenage CBs playing in a position they don't know well. No-one moves to give him options, no-one else bloody well creates anything so he tries to do too much on his own and fails. His movement is good and clever, just no-one else is moving to help him out. And he's still got a fair bit of pace.