Half a Century of Underachievement

Doug

It is now over fifty years since we won a major domestic honour.

I wonder what sort of crowds Liverpool & ManUtd would be getting today with that sort of unenviable record. 50,000+ ?

I think not

Radio 5 live held a text vote this morning inspired by our latest failing to suggest who were the greatest sporting underachievers. Not surprisingly we were highest up on the list along with such company as Tim Henman, England, Scotland, Spain etc.

I have learned now never to build my hopes up ever again. That way you can stay calm and not get into emotional mud slinging about who is to blame. It is something too long standing and deep rooted within the culture of the club to put right by lashing out at single individuals.

I fear we are doomed to never win anything in my life time as I was born in 1956 the year after the last of those domestic trophy successes.

What a cross to bear.

At least I can't be accused of being a glory hunter !!

Guest elbee909

They should start releasing merchandise on the back of us being plucky losers.

I can see bumper stickers along the lines of

"Newcastle fans do it... next season."

Guest Invicta_Toon

I wonder what sort of crowds Liverpool & ManUtd would be getting today with that sort of unenviable record. 50,000+ ?

I think not

Radio 5 live held a text vote this morning inspired by our latest failing to suggest who were the greatest sporting underachievers. Not surprisingly we were highest up on the list along with such company as Tim Henman, England, Scotland, Spain etc.

I have learned now never to build my hopes up ever again. That way you can stay calm and not get into emotional mud slinging about who is to blame. It is something too long standing and deep rooted within the culture of the club to put right by lashing out at single individuals.

I fear we are doomed to never win anything in my life time as I was born in 1956 the year after the last of those domestic trophy successes.

What a cross to bear.

do we get a trophy like?

I think not

What a cross to bear.

do we get a trophy like?

we'd only drop it anyways, or give it back to the person handing it out by mistake