Sir John Hall

ianovthetoon

If Sir John Hall wants to help get our club back on track, the first thing he should do is use his majority shareholding, canvass a few smaller shareholders and force a vote of no confidence in Freddie Shepherd as chairman. Not only would this get rid of the root of most of what is wrong at this club, it would likely make a takeover a lot easier to go through as he would be less likely to stay on.

A lot is regularly made of the money which is being siphoned from the club by the Shepherd family, and indeed Douglas Hall. If John Hall wants to give this club something back before he sells up and takes his millions, then it would be the opportunity to allow this club to progress. Yes I stood on the terraces when we were looking relegation in the face, I  realise we are a million miles from being in that state again, but surely after sustaining a place in the top 20 richest clubs in the world for many years, we need to start putting this wealth and status to good use. We have one of the largest wage bills in the premiership, now in most other businesses this means we should have one of the best workforces(ie teams) in the league

To try and illustrate why I think we have a terrible management team liken us to any other business. You wouldn't assemble a talented workforce then put the tea lady in charge of them. In sorts that is what we have done. We have a squad of some of the best players in world football, and put a man in charge of them whose previous experiences led to relegation on all 3 occasions, and whose tactical nous has come under scrutiny, and clearly is unable to motivate them to want to succeed here.

To add to that, the man making the decisions above Glenn Roeder, has shown that he knows very little about running a football club. The man who controls the purse strings, who seems to think he must be a good chairman just because he throws countless amounts of money at managers to buy midfielders and centre forwards. With the financial resources this club has we should be capable of mounting a serious challenge on the top 5 or 6 every season(I'm not saying guarantee to finish in these places as that would be disrespectful to the jobs done by other teams), and to at least give 100 percent effort in competitions that are winnable instead of doing the hard work only to throw it all away.

Yes Shepherd gives the manager money, but does he ensure that this money is spent wisely? I think not. Yes, we all have these adrenaline rushes when we sign the Michael Owens of this world but unless these players want to come here to win and not pick up obscene amounts of money they are not what is required. Shepherd clearly isn't up to making sure that the club's money is spent wisely.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that at some point in the near future the Halls will sell their shares. The worst case scenario is that the Shepherd family would somehow finance such a deal, no doubt by securing it on the assets of the football club. In this instance we would probably spend most of the next 10 years or so hovering between 8th and 15th in the table, making the odd trophy signing to guarantee season ticket revenues. As a private venture this would give the Shepherds far more wealth from the club than they already take. 

Obviously the Halls will be wanting the best price possible for their shares, as would the Shepherds if they sold out too, but surely if the club is looking back towards the higher echelons of English football they would get more money for their shares. This is why I suspect the Halls will eventually sell out to Shepherd, because as things stand that we aren't going to be a viable investment to anyone at the price they are looking for. But if John Hall was as true a fan as he says he is, he would ensure that the words Shepherd and majority shareholder were never associated with this club, this is why he must canvass to have Shepherd removed as soon as possible

thing is shepherd makes trophy signings like owen for example and roeder cannot get any other good quality players in to play around him if you get my drift .what is the point in having a top striker and surrounding him with shit .

Good post.

NUFC to SJH = money. Nothing else.

He's at an age though where he wants out and to enjoy his earnings. He tried to keep it in the family with his son who's just a useless prick, and it wouldn't surprise me either if they sold up to FFS. Its a scary thought, but its closer to happening than we'd all like to think.

No company in their right mind would touch us, we are a black hole for money & players careers, everything about us spells trouble. Which leaves either those who feel they can strip the club and sell of parts to make more money or someone who cares about the club.