Will Roeder be our manager at the start of 2007-08?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest andynufc84

The way I see it is this: The club don't have the funds to sign a few trophy players to keep fans sweet and nor will there be the prospect of European football, usually a selling point, so they will have to look for another angle and that may well be replacing Roeder with a big name manager or perhaps Shearer taking over earlier than intended. If we finish the season as badly as it seems we will do, with possible heavy defeats at home to Chelsea and Arsenal to come, fans will finally vote with their feet and I estimate Season Ticket renewals could be in the region of 30,000 + for next season and not the usual 40-44,000 + figures the club so often relies on. All this and other small tell tale signs such as Roeder's big talk about doing this and that while the usually opinionated Shepherd sits on quietly saying nowt suggests he has been handed a rope to hang himself with. Furthermore the rumours of a 12 month review clause in his 2 year contract and Roeder almost admitting he has yet to sit down with the board to discuss next season's plans despite talking about these plans as a given (rope + hang??) - I don't know, I think he's in for a shock myself. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the board said "thanks Glenn" when the season comes to an end and try and get Shearer in.

Knowing our luck we'll beat Arsenal 1-0, draw with Chelsea and sneak an away win from somewhere.

Then Roeder will keep his job until August, start poorly and then be sacked around september time as Ally said. We are then back to the exact same posistion we always find ourselves in.

I love this on the official site:

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/f9/57/0,,10278~3168249,00.gif

Caption: GLENN GLOOM ... Gaffer can only watch on as United try to break down City rearguard

:lol: Maybe if he took his hands out his pockets and did something, we'd get somewhere!

I think it will be a massive surrender by Shepherd if he sacked Glenn. Despite the nonsense about him being the fans choice (although some clearly were taken in), he did make a lot of noise about this maybe being his last throw of the dice and how he must get this appointment right.

Obviously it would not nessasarily mean the end of Freddy as well, but it would be a massive loss of face for him and and the pressure would have to be massive for him to make that the decision. Roeder needs to go, but we are in the situation now where there are almost no positives for the club whatever route we take. Fucking desparate state of affairs.

Guest Knightrider

I think it will be a massive surrender by Shepherd if he sacked Glenn. Despite the nonsense about him being the fans choice (although some clearly were taken in), he did make a lot of noise about this maybe being his last throw of the dice and how he must get this appointment right.

Obviously it would not nessasarily mean the end of Freddy as well, but it would be a massive loss of face for him and and the pressure would have to be massive for him to make that the decision. Roeder needs to go, but we are in the situation now where there are almost no positives for the club whatever route we take. Fucking desparate state of affairs.

Maybe but he is so ignorant, the irony won't even register anyway.

The way I see it is this: The club don't have the funds to sign a few trophy players to keep fans sweet and nor will there be the prospect of European football, usually a selling point, so they will have to look for another angle and that may well be replacing Roeder with a big name manager or perhaps Shearer taking over earlier than intended. If we finish the season as badly as it seems we will do, with possible heavy defeats at home to Chelsea and Arsenal to come, fans will finally vote with their feet and I estimate Season Ticket renewals could be in the region of 30,000 + for next season and not the usual 40-44,000 + figures the club so often relies on. All this and other small tell tale signs such as Roeder's big talk about doing this and that while the usually opinionated Shepherd sits on quietly saying nowt suggests he has been handed a rope to hang himself with. Furthermore the rumours of a 12 month review clause in his 2 year contract and Roeder almost admitting he has yet to sit down with the board to discuss next season's plans despite talking about these plans as a given (rope + hang??) - I don't know, I think he's in for a shock myself. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the board said "thanks Glenn" when the season comes to an end and try and get Shearer in.

I think they might get rid of him, but Shearer is at least 2 years away. He hasn't started his Uefa Pro 'B' license yet iirc.

I think they might get rid of him, but Shearer is at least 2 years away. He hasn't started his Uefa Pro 'B' license yet iirc.

He was certainly working on some kind of Licence including time with Craig at Hibs. Probably the B licence with the A licence course starting in the summer, though Collins was (mis?)quoted as saying it was his A licence at the time.

Obviously it would not nessasarily mean the end of Freddy as well, but it would be a massive loss of face for him and and the pressure would have to be massive for him to make that the decision. Roeder needs to go, but we are in the situation now where there are almost no positives for the club whatever route we take. f****** desparate state of affairs.

How many times has Shepherd contradicted himself though? ("the fans will be pleasantly surprised at what comes from the Woodgate sale" etc). It would be a massive loss of face but this is a man who embarrasses himself almost every time he opens his mouth and will happily lie time and time again in front of the watching media.

What worries me is that Shepherd can be suite stubborn, as he was about sacking Souness. He may hang on with Roeder until he has absolutely no choice but to sack him, and we haven't reached that stage yet. He's a few defeats from the sack in the summer and a few wins from earning himself another season as far as I can see. As farcical as it sounds, I think these handful of games will answer the question of whether he'll be here in August. Afterall he was given the job in the first place based on a handful of games.

My gut feeling is he will still be here sadly. I'm not sure Newcastle can afford another year of mismanagement. The club survived Souness and now Roeder but how long can we last throwing money and points away before we are staring relegation in the face?

If Roeder does leave us in the summer, the only thing I can be thankful for is that he didn't waste too much money, nor did he sell any important players. For me, he's done a bit better than Souness but has ultimately failed to demonstrate that he has what it takes to move this club forwards.