Toon's greatest ever CB

Guest given take

Guest Alan Shearer 9

McCracken is a good call, he was a right back though not a centre half

Right half actually, i.e. right sided centre-back.

ie a right back.

Wasn't this in the days when they played 2-4-4? Surely they only had two defenders?

was more a 1-2-4-2 in most cases but we played a 3-1-4-2 With McCracken at Right Back

Maybe you guys can help me out, then. My sister gave me a poster for my birthday the other week featuring our 1910 FA Cup winning side which had Bill McCracken in it. He was the only name I recognised apart from Colin Veitch, and only because I know he destroyed the offside law in place at the time. What exactly did he do?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

he just played everyone offside constantly because there needed to be 3 players between opposing player and goal in those days so he perfected the offside trap and abused everyone making himself very unpopular with other teams and disrupting games greatly. Did the job though and that's why we went on to win 19 trophys and become the 6th best ever team

he just played everyone offside constantly because there needed to be 3 players between opposing player and goal in those days so he perfected the offside trap and abused everyone making himself very unpopular with other teams and disrupting games greatly. Did the job though and that's why we went on to win 19 trophys and become the 6th best ever team

Hoho! Also noticed our league record shown on the same poster: 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th! I bet they were well pissed off when we finished 8th the next season!

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I've got a good book which goes into McCkracken's role in this in detail but my brain can only remember about 30% of the facts so I just had to make the rest up sorry

In my time:-

Woodgate

Albert

Moncur

and the People's Favourite

John McNamee - who can forget him hitting Jimmie Montgomery into the net to score at the Gallowgate End?  These days they'd have done him for Attempted Murder

Guest Sniffer

And swinging on the crossbar.

Along with John McGrath, they were the hardest players I've ever seen.

I wonder what he thinks about these pansies that wear gloves when it's below 60?

Woodgate a long way ahead in first place, followed by Moncur.

Apart from those two, the picture's a bit bleak. For some reason, we just haven't produced or bought good CB's. (Taylor's developing nicely though)

hard to say before my lifetime, the likes of Frank Brennan and Bob Moncur would be obvious contenders.

During my time, probably Woodgate, although we didn't see that much of him.

My favourite would have to be Philippe Albert.

Hopefully in years to come, we can say Steven Taylor. I think he's looking promising and although he still makes mistakes he is still a young lad.

Bill McCracken - the man who invented the modern off-side trap.

Woodgate is by far the best defender I've seen in a Toon top and of any defender live at close quarters, simply an outstanding all-round defender.

Woody the best,Phil Mc Cracken,the man who invented gay sex.

And swinging on the crossbar.

Along with John McGrath, they were the hardest players I've ever seen.

I wonder what he thinks about these pansies that wear gloves when it's below 60?

I once saw a back line of Bob Stokoe, Bill Thompson and Jimmie Scoular (and Dave Keith - who was a cultured player....)

THAT was truly frightening........................  Scoular was the hardest man I've ever seen on a pitch - not dirty - he didn't need to be

'Killer' Kilcline

I think you could say that Kilcline was one of the most important CBs we've ever had (don't know about best though). He came in at a very important time and added much needed leadership and experience.