Biggest decision of the summer

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think I know why Roeder was appointed and the thought process behind it. We clearly failed for whatever reason to attract whoever it was we wanted, more than likely Martin O'Neill. That or we chased him (whoever we wanted) so hard and went for X only, when X eventually turned us down, it was (in the eyes of the board) too late in the day to go on another hunt, and with Roeder doing well, they took the safe option and gave him the job, telling on a 2 year deal with a 12 month review clause inserted in which could be bull but I've heard it said once or twice now so it could just as well have legs in it. Our failkure to get our man and Roeder's successful caretakership kind of colluded to make up the board's mind for them.

And with Shearer going off for a year or two to do his badges and other things, perhaps Roeder (in the eyes of the board) would be the ideal housesitter if you like until Shearer is ready.

But Roeder has done as bad a job as Souness (on a small budget I must add) so as it stands, things are up in the air and the board have a decision to make, do they:

A stick by Roeder and give him some money

B Appoint someone to assist him

C Sack him

If that review clause is true, I think it is up to Roeder to keep his jon, the remaining games and his ideas for the new season ahead and the reaction of fans will be key for him.

As far as I'm concerned, the seeds of doubt was planted in Alkmaar, and the board are leaning twowards change, hence the rumours of Big Sam, Sven and no doubt more to follow.

For my money, I think Roeder is a gonner myself, and I think he knows or has an inkling that his job is far from safe, hence the ultra defensiveness, his even more cautious tactics (afraid to lose? You bet) and his blame game and excuse tactics.

He's trying to win fabour in the media and support among what he calls and thinks is the majority - the knowledgeable fans and hacks.

Man's deluded then because the vast majority of fans have had enough and in part it is the excuses and blame game tactics that are turning unonvinced people against him.

Bye Glenn.

I really hope you're correct-

infact I think i'll go get the pray mat and vodoo dolls out of the cupboard again

At the time Souness was appointed. Bruce was offered the job, the same souce said McClaren was then offered it, then Allardyce.

Bruce, wanted it but did turn it down because he thought he was getting a bad reputation for jumping jobs too often.

McClaren wanted it but Gibson gave him such a bollocking, and played the "I was loyal to you ..." card so strongly that McClaren backed down.

When they talked to Allardyce they recognised he had too much baggage, and came across as too confrontational.

The source is someone in television who through his job is pally with all these guys, and is also reasonably close to Kenneth Shepherd. So was able to find out both sides.

Souness ended up being all that was left, with any sort of justifiable CV, at that point of the season

Guest Invicta_Toon

At the time Souness was appointed. Bruce was offered the job, the same souce said McClaren was then offered it, then Allardyce.

Bruce, wanted it but did turn it down because he thought he was getting a bad reputation for jumping jobs too often.

McClaren wanted it but Gibson gave him such a bollocking, and played the "I was loyal to you ..." card so strongly that McClaren backed down.

When they talked to Allardyce they recognised he had too much baggage, and came across as too confrontational.

The source is someone in television who through his job is pally with all these guys, and is also reasonably close to Kenneth Shepherd. So was able to find out both sides.

Souness ended up being all that was left, with any sort of justifiable CV, at that point of the season

amazingly considering who posted it, a sensible post at last

Guest Knightrider

We have been turned down by Bruce, McClaren, Big Sam and O'Leary in the past - all facts, all coming from the men in question. I remember O'Leary saying how he turned down the chance to talk to us to repay Villa's loyalty or whatever, same with Bruce and McClaren where as Big Sam was actually interviewed and offered the job, twice if you believe some of the reports. You can now add MON to the list. Another rumour I've heard is we asked Everton about Moyes and Moyes told his board that he wasn't interested. Mind, one rumour I did hear a while back was that we tried to get Fergie after KK went, and were told to piss off by Man Utd but that Fergie wasn't happy about being kept in the dark and was interested in what we had to say.

Guest Invicta_Toon

We have been turned down by Bruce, McClaren, Big Sam and O'Leary in the past - all facts, all coming from the men in question. I remember O'Leary saying how he turned down the chance to talk to us to repay Villa's loyalty or whatever, same with Bruce and McClaren where as Big Sam was actually interviewed and offered the job, twice if you believe some of the reports. You can now add MON to the list. Another rumour I've heard is we asked Everton about Moyes and Moyes told his board that he wasn't interested. Mind, one rumour I did hear a while back was that we tried to get Fergie after KK went, and were told to piss off by Man Utd but that Fergie wasn't happy about being kept in the dark and was interested in what we had to say.

The manager of Everton not interested in the Newcastle job? Stevie will go off it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Knightrider

The manager of Everton not interested in the Newcastle job? Stevie will go off it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a rumour. I don't believe it for a second myself, Moyes would be on of only a handful who I think would go for it.

that Fergie wasn't happy about being kept in the dark and was interested in what we had to say.

Now that would be something, SAF picking the team sheet at St James'. That would be a major news day with fans of all clubs staring slack-jawed at the back pages in disbelief.

Damn, I'm dreaming now.

Guest BooBoo

Sadly i think Roeder will definitely be here next season. I think Fat Boy though will be aware of the mass disillusionment and it wouldnt surprise me if we made a signing right at the start of the transfer window.

Whether the likes of Steve Sidwell will get people scrambling for season tickets is another matter however.

The only strand of hope the fans and Roeder himself can cling too, is that Bobby Robsosn firts full season was very similar- crap football, mediocre league position. He brought in Bellamy and Robert and it rejuvenated the team. This summer we will need more than two new players, but the club is horribly stale at the moment and is in desperate need of a spruce up.

At the time Souness was appointed. Bruce was offered the job,

oh dear, you're wrong. What a shame.

the same souce said McClaren was then offered it, then Allardyce.

wrong again

wrong again

Guest Knightrider

Sadly i think Roeder will definitely be here next season. I think Fat Boy though will be aware of the mass disillusionment and it wouldnt surprise me if we made a signing right at the start of the transfer window.

Whether the likes of Steve Sidwell will get people scrambling for season tickets is another matter however.

The only strand of hope the fans and Roeder himself can cling too, is that Bobby Robsosn firts full season was very similar- crap football, mediocre league position. He brought in Bellamy and Robert and it rejuvenated the team. This summer we will need more than two new players, but the club is horribly stale at the moment and is in desperate need of a spruce up.

I strongly think the board now accept Roeder is never ever going to win the fans over - ergo achieve success - so they are looking at ways to make a better fist of his appointment (i.e. assitance) or to try and squeeze him out ala Liverpool with Evans. I don't think he's long in the job myself, especially if this 12 month review clause exists.

Guest Knightrider

wrong again

wrong again

NE5, all those managers are on record in one capacity or another claiming to have either been approached by NUFC, turned down the chance to talk to us or been blocked by their own clubs to talk to us, or in Big Sam's case he actually did turn us down.

NE5, do you get some sort of enjoyment about pulling other peoples posts to bits?

Grow up you plonker.

:lol:

shame BooBoo, but I think the day we see a sensible post with some football content from you, is the day you may look like you have grown up yourself.

What I say is true. He is wrong. Like it or lump it I'm afraid.

Guest BooBoo

I strongly think the board now accept Roeder is never ever going to win the fans over - ergo achieve success - so they are looking at ways to make a better fist of his appointment (i.e. assitance) or to try and squeeze him out ala Liverpool with Evans. I don't think he's long in the job myself, especially if this 12 month review clause exists.

Its not a bad idea but would anyone really want to join Newcastle to work with Roeder? Surely they would want to have full control themselves?

wrong again

wrong again

NE5, all those managers are on record in one capacity or another claiming to have either been approached by NUFC, turned down the chance to talk to us or been blocked by their own clubs to talk to us, or in Big Sam's case he actually did turn us down.

all the 3 statements as made by macbeth are incorrect

Guest Knightrider

wrong again

wrong again

all the 3 statements as made by macbeth are incorrect

In what way?