New manager .: New skipper?

Guest smoggeordie

How any goalkeeper in the world can organise that bunch of crap?

Yes,maybe sometimes his communication with the players and the defence isnt the best but our defence is shocking for years and any world class goalkeeper will struggle to organise it.

And what do you exactly mean by "organising his defence"?

Based on his unique view of the game, a keeper is responsible for talking to his defenders (and midfielders) for 90 minutes - telling his teammates about runs being made by opposition attackers, warning them of threats coming through from midfield, encouraging them to stick with their man, ensuring that at defensive set pieces no one is unmarked, telling his defenders when to pass back or clear, whether they are under pressure when on the ball etc...

We've said all along that Bramble needed a wise head alongside him, that Taylor needs an experienced player beside him, that Carr is positionally weak. Well, in my mind, it's not just the responsibility of a senior centre half - the goalkeeper has his role to play in this as well.

Think Peter Schmeichel - the benchmark when it comes to commanding goalkeepers. Yes, he had a higher quality backline, but he still bellowed at them every match, keeping them focused, organised and aware. In my mind, a goalkeeper would be unable to do a post-match interview - he should be too hoarse!!!

How any goalkeeper in the world can organise that bunch of crap?

Yes,maybe sometimes his communication with the players and the defence isnt the best but our defence is shocking for years and any world class goalkeeper will struggle to organise it.

And what do you exactly mean by "organising his defence"?

Based on his unique view of the game, a keeper is responsible for talking to his defenders (and midfielders) for 90 minutes - telling his teammates about runs being made by opposition attackers, warning them of threats coming through from midfield, encouraging them to stick with their man, ensuring that at defensive set pieces no one is unmarked, telling his defenders when to pass back or clear, whether they are under pressure when on the ball etc...

We've said all along that Bramble needed a wise head alongside him, that Taylor needs an experienced player beside him, that Carr is positionally weak. Well, in my mind, it's not just the responsibility of a senior centre half - the goalkeeper has his role to play in this as well.

Think Peter Schmeichel - the benchmark when it comes to commanding goalkeepers. Yes, he had a higher quality backline, but he still bellowed at them every match, keeping them focused, organised and aware. In my mind, a goalkeeper would be unable to do a post-match interview - he should be too hoarse!!!

Why do you think Given isnt doing this?

Agree with you about Schmeichel though.

He is the best example of what the modern goalkeeper should be like.

Maybe Given is not as noisy and commanding as Schmeichel but we cant blame him for not doing this things you mentioned above.

The point is that Schmeichel played with top class back 4 all the time and Given is playing with mickey mouses through his 10 years at the club and maybe thats the reason why people thinks he cant organise his defence.

I mean you cant blame the goalkeeper for the fact that the defenders in front of him are bunch of shit.

Maybe Given is not as noisy and commanding as Schmeichel but we cant blame him for not doing this things you mentioned above.

The point is that Schmeichel played with top class back 4 all the time and Given is playing with mickey mouses through his 10 years at the club and maybe thats the reason why people thinks he cant organise his defence.

I mean you cant blame the goalkeeper for the fact that the defenders in front of him are bunch of shit.

Why do I think Given is not doing this? The images on my TV screen tell me it isn't happening! In fact, this is exactly one of those cases whereby actually being at the game is superior to watching it on TV.

Maybe Given is not as noisy and commanding as Schmeichel but we cant blame him for not doing this things you mentioned above. Actually, yes I can blame him for not organising his defence properly - it is part of his job! It's not as important as shot-stopping, but is at least as important as distribution (if not more so)

I mean you cant blame the goalkeeper for the fact that the defenders in front of him are bunch of shit. Gee, I didn't realise I'd said that, I'm sorry. Oh wait, I didn't... But what I did say (or at least imply) is that Given has a responsibility to improve their collective performance by organising them properly, and in that regard he seems to be wanting...

I'm not saying Given is shit (he is clearly a very good goalkeeper), I'm saying that he is deficient in one vital aspect of his craft. You ask why I think he doesn't organise his defence adequately - the evidence is plain to see.

Why do I think Given is not doing this? The images on my TV screen tell me it isn't happening! In fact, this is exactly one of those cases whereby actually being at the game is superior to watching it on TV.

Maybe Given is not as noisy and commanding as Schmeichel but we cant blame him for not doing this things you mentioned above. Actually, yes I can blame him for not organising his defence properly - it is part of his job! It's not as important as shot-stopping, but is at least as important as distribution (if not more so)

I mean you cant blame the goalkeeper for the fact that the defenders in front of him are bunch of shit. Gee, I didn't realise I'd said that, I'm sorry. Oh wait, I didn't... But what I did say (or at least imply) is that Given has a responsibility to improve their collective performance by organising them properly, and in that regard he seems to be wanting...

I'm not saying Given is shit (he is clearly a very good goalkeeper), I'm saying that he is deficient in one vital aspect of his craft. You ask why I think he doesn't organise his defence adequately - the evidence is plain to see.

Given cant organise his defence not because he doenst shout enough and command the defenders enough but because most of the 4 players in front of him are pure joke.

Actually the majority of the times i've seen Given after a attack was made by the opposite team Given is shouting,pointing,claping which means that he is actually organising his defence.

The only problem Given has as a goalkeeper is his aerial abbility.

Given cant organise his defence not because he doenst shout enough and command the defenders enough but because most of the 4 players in front of him are pure joke.

Actually the majority of the times i've seen Given after a attack was made by the opposite team Given is shouting,pointing,claping which means that he is actually organising his defence.

The only problem Given has as a goalkeeper is his aerial abbility.

Okay then, you keep believing that then. :rolleyes: