The Premiership, NUFC, Investment & Getting a Return

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Am I alone in thinking although there is money to be had in football there isn't going to be that much to warrant the massive investment being plowed into our game? I already think we've reached a ceiling and that only a handful will ever break that ceiling and for someone like us to do it will require Abramovic type funding as we don't have the global appeal of a Liverpool, a Man Utd, a Real Madrid or an AC Milan.

Thoughts?

If I was looking to invest my money into something to make a tidy return, the last industry I'd turn to would be football which is far too competitive and fickle to guarantee results which is what you'd want if you're going to part with £130m in wor case, no?

Guest Knightrider

I think most of the new investors in our game aren't looking to get their money back from their football clubs but will use the brand they've just bought to drive other interests and this is what I think Ashley wants NUFC for. He plans to break into other markets with his sports chain/brands and what better battering ram than a football club supported the world over and who can attract global audiences of millions and millions. When we signed Owen 60m people the world over tuned in, the FA Cup final is watched by over a billion, the same for the final of the Champions League. The Premiership is watched by billions too.

We've already seen with this £300m property development deal around St. James' Park just how powerful a magnate a brand like NUFC is to other markets and brands, i.e. other businesses.

Either that or he's bored with the whole corporate world and wants to create something meaningful and lasting with his vast wealth.... (he wouldn't be the first to be suckered in by football)

Am I alone in thinking although there is money to be had in football there isn't going to be that much to warrant the massive investment being plowed into our game? I already think we've reached a ceiling and that only a handful will ever break that ceiling and for someone like us to do it will require Abramovic type funding as we don't have the global appeal of a Liverpool, a Man Utd, a Real Madrid or an AC Milan.

Thoughts?

If I was looking to invest my money into something to make a tidy return, the last industry I'd turn to would be football which is far too competitive and fickle to guarantee results which is what you'd want if you're going to part with £130m in wor case, no?

The European superleague when it comes will change everything. European football as a brand is highly lucrative now to a world market especially Asia in general and ultimately China specifically.

Guest shaun11177

I agree, if you invest 25m in Newcastle in players would you really expect to get 35m back?.

Benitez is asking for 100m, how are the owners going to get a return of 100m+

Guest Knightrider

Parky I honestly can't see that happening and even if it does, it won't last.

Nobody saw the PL coming.

It was a concept that dates back to the 20s believe it or not, the idea of a breakaway Super League containing all the top clubs in England. There's a fascinating book about it all, I can't quite remember the exact title of it, something like lifting the lid on a national obsession, very good book that talks a lot about a european superleague too.

Guest alex

They did to be fair.

It was a concept that dates back to the 20s believe it or not, the idea of a breakaway Super League containing all the top clubs in England. There's a fascinating book about it all, I can't quite remember the exact title of it, something like lifting the lid on a national obsession, very good book that talks a lot about a european superleague too.

The thing is like you I'm not sure a Wed playing SL will be good for football. But the big clubs are now chasing the money and I think they are confident there is more money to be made (infact there is) they will be looking at angles. Uefa won't want to step aside so there is a long way to go yet and yes there is a chance is might not happen. In that case the clubs especially in Italy will use the threat as a bargaining tool to maybe leverage more TV cash or negotiate their own deals. Milan and Juve negotiate their own TV deals already for Serie A.

Ultimately it will devalue the national leagues much more than say a pseudo Cup competiton like the CL.

Guest Knightrider

The thing is like you I'm not sure a Wed playing SL will be good for football. But the big clubs are now chasing the money and I think they are confident there is more money to be made (infact there is) they will be looking at angles. Uefa won't want to step aside so there is a long way to go yet and yes there is a chance is might not happen. In that case the clubs especially in Italy will use the threat as a bargaining tool to maybe leverage more TV cash or negotiate their own deals. Milan and Juve negotiate their own TV deals already for Serie A.

Ultimately it will devalue the national leagues much more than say a pseudo Cup competiton like the CL.

I can't see a European Super League working, not long-term anyway. The Premiership was feasable and a very sound business plan, a European Super League is anything but as unlike domestic and UEFA football, their is no safety net with a European Super League. Who governs it? What about promotion and demotion? How will the clubs get around the buying and selling of players? You can guarantee if a European Super League was set up, UEFA, FIFA and the FA as well as the FAs of all other nations, not to mention all the clubs left behind, will all oppose this league and turn their backs on it. Not gonna happen Parky, it's football's bogeyman to scare UEFA with.

I can't see a European Super League working, not long-term anyway. The Premiership was feasable and a very sound business plan, a European Super League is anything but as unlike domestic and UEFA football, their is no safety net with a European Super League. Who governs it? What about promotion and demotion? How will the clubs get around the buying and selling of players? You can guarantee if a European Super League was set up, UEFA, FIFA and the FA as well as the FAs of all other nations, not to mention all the clubs left behind, will all oppose this league and turn their backs on it. Not gonna happen Parky, it's football's bogeyman to scare UEFA with.

I hope you're right. :)

Guest Knightrider

Aye me too, although the idea of a Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea less Premiership would return what was a competitive league before the Premiership back to some form of normality. But then again, the likes of us would become the new Man Utd and a top 4 elite would soon distance themselves from the rest. This for me is a bigger issue than the threat of a European Super League, in my opinion. Although for the powers that be I don't think they give a damn, for fans though I think we're all sick of money dominating the game. I know I am and hope our new owner if he does take over, is sensible and doesn't do an Abramovic. I'd hate for us to end our long wait by buying a trophy, it would demean the whole object of the exercise for me and if that is the only way we're going to smash the chain of failure, I'll rather we remain trophyless.

A European super league will never happen. Mostly because FIFA won't recognise it, meaning the clubs will not be able to enter any other European or domestic competitions and their players would be ineligible to play for their country.

Guest Knightrider

A European super league will never happen. Mostly because FIFA won't recognise it, meaning the clubs will not be able to enter any other European or domestic competitions and their players would be ineligible to play for their country.

Exactly.

When you have as much money as Ashley & the other tycoons who have bought into Football clubs, they don't necessarily WANT a big financial return - its a plaything, for goodness' sake.

Look at Ashley - billionaire at 43, what else can he achieve in business that is going to massively-dwarf what he has done already?

NUFC will give him another purpose in life - resurrecting the eternally-sleeping giant, challenging the established 'big boys'(he likes doing that..!!).

Who knows, he may really start to enjoy it all, MUCH more fun than everyday business.

When you have as much money as Ashley & the other tycoons who have bought into Football clubs, they don't necessarily WANT a big financial return - its a plaything, for goodness' sake.

Look at Ashley - billionaire at 43, what else can he achieve in business that is going to massively-dwarf what he has done already?

NUFC will give him another purpose in life - resurrecting the eternally-sleeping giant, challenging the established 'big boys'(he likes doing that..!!).

Who knows, he may really start to enjoy it all, MUCH more fun than everyday business.

Normally I would say that's true but when the man is a recluse it doesn't really fit.

Guest gggg

Clubs still make a lot of money, football clubs make the most of any sport in the world and our revenue is in the top 20 in world football...

I think a "European superleague" might well happen, though it's more likely to be a development of the Champions League than some totally new entity, it'll happen with FIFA/UEFA approval, the teams involved will still play in their national leagues, and there will be some kind of promotion/relegation mechanism.

And as for the game being dominated by money, get used to it.

It's only going to get more like that. Football is now a global business and the Premiership is one of its most popular "products" – especially in Asia, where economies are growing the fastest.  TV revenues are increasing and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. That's the biggest growth area but merchandise (with which market Ashley is intimately acquainted) is another. And there are a lot of potential shirt-wearers in China.

Clubs still make a lot of money, football clubs make the most of any sport in the world and our revenue is in the top 20 in world football...

Football clubs also may out a lot of money, hence why most of them aren't making any sort of decent profit.

Guest Invicta_Toon

actually scratch my original opinion parky

it seems my thoughts about a new super league is scarily similar to HTT, which I know from previous experience means I must be talking absolute shite

Guest Knightrider

actually scratch my original opinion parky

it seems my thoughts about a new super league is scarily similar to HTT, which I know from previous experience means I must be talking absolute shite

Fickle bastard.

I think with some clubs there is still potential to make money. It isn't that long since the Glazers bought Man United, and they're still going to make money out of it.

I think there are certain clubs out there which have long been run, shall we say, with a small time, provincial businessman mentality (Villa, Man City, Newcastle - although to a smaller degree, Everton) - mainly because the traditional chairman WAS a provincial businessman.

You'd have to be daft to think that as a billionaire you couldn't make some money out of them. You're maybe not going to make your second fortune, and even if you don't make a profit out of them, you get a cool hobby which is almost self funding.

I'm not imagining that is how all these new owners are looking at it, all will have their own individual motives, but you can bet that's how a lot of them are seeing it.