The Premiership, NUFC, Investment & Getting a Return

Guest Knightrider

As mentioned by somebody above this bloke owns major sports brands and no doubt sees some excellent advertising opportunities should Newcastle do well. The fact that the buyout of newcastle u7nited amounts to about 7% of his personal wealth means it could be the worst investment of his life but he wouldn't give two funks about it, would he? Only 14% of the cash he has swilling around from his recent float of half of one of his companies!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Just in case Ashley is reading: I can give you a 100% return on investment over a 3 year period, much better than Nufc mate!!!

Guest Invicta_Toon

As mentioned by somebody above this bloke owns major sports brands and no doubt sees some excellent advertising opportunities should Newcastle do well. The fact that the buyout of newcastle u7nited amounts to about 7% of his personal wealth means it could be the worst investment of his life but he wouldn't give two funks about it, would he? Only 14% of the cash he has swilling around from his recent float of half of one of his companies!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Just in case Ashley is reading: I can give you a 100% return on investment over a 3 year period, much better than Nufc mate!!!

just for starters:

£130m for shares, £70m debt clearance, £40m transfer kitty = £240m

even for a billionaire those are figures to take note of

I agree, if you invest 25m in Newcastle in players would you really expect to get 35m back?.

Benitez is asking for 100m, how are the owners going to get a return of 100m+

supposedly winning the Champions league this season gets the winning team £67million

I think a "European superleague" might well happen, though it's more likely to be a development of the Champions League than some totally new entity, it'll happen with FIFA/UEFA approval, the teams involved will still play in their national leagues, and there will be some kind of promotion/relegation mechanism.

And as for the game being dominated by money, get used to it.

It's only going to get more like that. Football is now a global business and the Premiership is one of its most popular "products" ? especially in Asia, where economies are growing the fastest.  TV revenues are increasing and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. That's the biggest growth area but merchandise (with which market Ashley is intimately acquainted) is another. And there are a lot of potential shirt-wearers in China.

I think it is logical and less painful in the onset if the CL was converted to a proper league. I'm sure there is no other way to base camp on this. I guess they will want an 18 club league and the first season will be by invitation.

They want more money ie more games (check) and they want qualification and staying in it less hit and miss (check)...Probably no more than 2 in and out per season (guessing). But with what will be branded as a whole new tournament all the cash bargaing will be back to  square one and that is what the football clubs are after.

World wide TV rights will be enormous even a single sponsor deal with say Mastercard alone for venue branding will guarantee the product.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I think a "European superleague" might well happen, though it's more likely to be a development of the Champions League than some totally new entity, it'll happen with FIFA/UEFA approval, the teams involved will still play in their national leagues, and there will be some kind of promotion/relegation mechanism.

It's only going to get more like that. Football is now a global business and the Premiership is one of its most popular "products" ? especially in Asia, where economies are growing the fastest.  TV revenues are increasing and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. That's the biggest growth area but merchandise (with which market Ashley is intimately acquainted) is another. And there are a lot of potential shirt-wearers in China.

I think it is logical and less painful in the onset if the CL was converted to a proper league. I'm sure there is no other way to base camp on this. I guess they will want an 18 club league and the first season will be by invitation.

They want more money ie more games (check) and they want qualification and staying in it less hit and miss (check)...Probably no more than 2 in and out per season (guessing). But with what will be branded as a whole new tournament all the cash bargaing will be back to  square one and that is what the football clubs are after.

World wide TV rights will be enormous even a single sponsor deal with say Mastercard alone for venue branding will guarantee the product.

errr... how many games a year for one club is a combined 22 team Premiership season and an 18 club superlague season?

errr... how many games a year for one club is a combined 22 team Premiership season and an 18 club superlague season?

A lot. :lol:

20 in the PL? ;)

HOLD ON! YOUR FORGETTING THE POINT!

The fact is that most people who buy into football are in the Billionaire category. Yes they are in it to make money but they have already made their money in other industries.

These people are looking for something else (Maslows heirachy of needs explains it). Its not just the money, its the prestige and popularity that comes from owning a premiership football club. The one thing they know they will not do is lose money. If they dont lose money and gain a little, its a no brainer.

The premiership football club has become the new must-have fashion accessory for the modern Billionaire.

There are plenty of opportunities for the money coming in to grow. The UK has probably reached saturation point but think bigger as Parky said....CHINA, INDIA, BRAZIL, RUSSIA, THE US. All these markets are yet to be fully exploited and the EPL is the most popular in the world.

I don't know what Mr Ashley has in mind, and so what if he does "sweat" NUFC. He will probably make it run much more efficiently than before. Hence allowing more money in his pocket and also more money invested in the team.

He's not stupid. To gain access to worldwide TV money he has to have a successful club.

Yes Jai and pushing the brand envelope they might well some of the games in your backyard. :)

eh?

Sorry mate got you mixed up with the other fella from Singapore. No offence intended. I see you have a UK e mail. :) :thup:

Guest Knightrider

Fancy assuming because Jai has a foreign sounding username, that he must be black. Tut.

;)

Fancy assuming because Jai has a foreign sounding username, that he must be black. Tut.

;)

:lol:

Singapore I said Coach. :D

YOu're blacker than me you probably know more about it innit? ;)

Yes Jai and pushing the brand envelope they might well some of the games in your backyard. :)

eh?

Sorry mate got you mixed up with the other fella from Singapore. No offence intended. I see you have a UK e mail. :) :thup:

Il let u off this time fella (smiley thingy)

eh?

Il let u off this time fella (smiley thingy)

I did for a long time pretend Madras was from Madras and Indi was from India.....But these are just games I play to keep myself amused... :blush:

Don't mind me....

It's billionaires now because there are potentially massive profits but it takes massive investment to get them.

Football isn't just football any more, just music isn't just music. It's all part of a great big global marketing web in which brands sell brands from one end of the planet to the other.

In referncfe to it being "Pocket Change", that is exactly what it is to Ashley. It is a mere 7% of the man's worth. It is actually less given that his interest are probably making him profit each year.

For mere mortals like ourselves it is a huge amount but you have to realise the word "perpective" to grasp whether this amount spent is gut wrenching for a billionaire....

It's billionaires now because there are potentially massive profits but it takes massive investment to get them.

Football isn't just football any more, just music isn't just music. It's all part of a great big global marketing web in which brands sell brands from one end of the planet to the other.

Funny thing is Ozzie and before recent events, when I broached this subject a few months ago.....Shot down in flames I was and no doubt. blueyes.gif

I don't think anyone is expecting to get their money back through TV deals or new league formats. I think it's all to do with Internet rights, I'd be amazed if matches are not broadcasted on the Internet in 5 years and this would create much more money than any TV deals. That's why you hear all this stuff about "global brand", it's about clubs positioning themselves for when matches are on the Internet. Only then would clubs make money on having all these fans in the far east and other places. Biggest thing for me is if the internet deals are negotiated on a club by club basis or by individual clubs.

Funny thing is Ozzie and before recent events, when I broached this subject a few months ago.....Shot down in flames I was and no doubt. blueyes.gif

Not by me.

Whether we like it or not, this is the reality.

Not by me.

Whether we like it or not, this is the reality.

Yeah but we're visionaries man. :D

I don't think anyone is expecting to get their money back through TV deals or new league formats. I think it's all to do with Internet rights, I'd be amazed if matches are not broadcasted on the Internet in 5 years and this would create much more money than any TV deals. That's why you hear all this stuff about "global brand", it's about clubs positioning themselves for when matches are on the Internet. Only then would clubs make money on having all these fans in the far east and other places. Biggest thing for me is if the internet deals are negotiated on a club by club basis or by individual clubs.

Not just internet, but that is one of the revenue streams, along with everything from good old-fashioned TV to highlights on your fucking mobile phone.

Media contracts these days often have clauses about rights in media that have yet to be invented.

Not just internet, but that is one of the revenue streams, along with everything from good old-fashioned TV to highlights on your fucking mobile phone.

Media contracts these days often have clauses about rights in media that have yet to be invented.

Yup and i firmly believe that the big media companies could stop all the internet streaming if they wanted to. Napster was sorted once the music industry piled in. Once the medium is established and big enough they then impose digital rights management tools, probabaly through transmission controls.