How US approach rubbed off on Big Sam

Guest Knightrider

Guest Invicta_Toon

I love the way Fat Sam looks at the American approach of employing 25 backroom staff to look after 80+ players, and somehow translates that to 28 staff to look after 30 odd players

I never knew the NBA had squads of over 80+ players.

In the US NFL it is common to have around 20-25 backroom staff to support the players meaning each individual player can get extra support if they need it.

I love the way Fat Sam looks at the American approach of employing 25 backroom staff to look after 80+ players, and somehow translates that to 28 staff to look after 30 odd players

I never knew the NBA had squads of over 80+ players.

Squad Depth FFS!

NFL squads don't tend to have many more than 55 either, and have more backroom staff than 25 and all.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Kansas City Chiefs picked at random

Quarterbacks

12 Brodie Croyle

10 Trent Green

11 Damon Huard

7 Casey Printers

15 Jeff Terrell

Running Backs

26 Michael Bennett

42 Ronnie Cruz FB

46 Boomer Grigsby FB/LB

43 Greg Hanoian FB

30 Gilbert Harris FB

31 Priest Holmes

27 Larry Johnson

38 Marcus O'Keith

34 Kolby Smith

Wide Receivers

82 Dwayne Bowe

14 Brad Ekewerekwu

85 Rod Gardner

81 Chris Hannon

87 Eddie Kennison

18 Samie Parker

17 Maurice Price

9 Ean Randolph

6 Titus Ryan

80 Jeff Webb

Tight Ends

47 Michael Allan

89 Jason Dunn

88 Tony Gonzalez

45 Wes Murphy

48 Keith Willis

84 Kris Wilson

Offensive Linemen

66 George Batiste T

67 Chris Bober G/C

77 Damion McIntosh T

72 James Newby T

64 Rudy Niswanger C

75 Ramiro Pruneda T

79 Kevin Sampson T

71 Will Svitek T

65 Herb Taylor T

60 Chris Terry T

54 Brian Waters G

76 John Welbourn G/T

62 Casey Wiegmann C

Defensive Linemen

69 Jared Allen DE

70 Alfonso Boone DT

71 Stanley Doughty DT

95 Ron Edwards DT

91 Tamba Hali DE

64 Chris Harris DE

61 Michael Heard DE

90 Claude McBride DE/DT

65 Matt McGlothlin DT

72 Montez Murphy DE

92 James Reed DT

93 DeMarcus Tyler DT

96 Jimmy Wilkerson DE

Linebackers

99 Kendrell Bell OLB

66 Brian Crum LB

59 Donnie Edwards OLB

97 Keyaron Fox OLB

53 Kris Griffin OLB

50 Napoleon Harris ILB

98 Nate Harris ILB

60 David Hicks LB

56 Derrick Johnson OLB

52 William Kershaw OLB

55 Rich Scanlon ILB

94 Timi Wusu OLB

Defensive Backs

34 Tyron Brackenridge CB

38 Michael Bragg CB

48 Robb Butler SS

30 Marlon Fair SS

41 Tony Franklin CB

24 Ty Law CB

45 Marcus Maxey CB

47 Jon McGraw SS

41 Zach Norton CB

44 Jarrad Page SS

39 Dimitri Patterson CB

40 Justin Phinisee CB

49 Bernard Pollard SS

20 Benny Sapp CB

23 Patrick Surtain CB

25 Greg Wesley SS

Special Teams

5 Aaron Barret K

2 Dustin Colquitt P

51 Jean-Philippe Darche LS

8 Justin Medlock K 

Guest alex

Well, the 28 people at Bolton covers administrative support according to the article so I'd guess that Shak is spot on to say NFL teams have more than that if you take that into consideration. They have about 10+ coaches over there. They leave nothing to chance. I'm rather pleased we are adopting a similar mentality.

Guest Knightrider

What is tragic is that Sam has been working with these methods since 1999, 8 years later we are just looking into them and have some catching up to do. Good things come to those who wait though :D

the sad thing is you honestly believe fat sam is the only bloke with this approach

He is, unless you can name me another manager who has installed such a comprehensive and varied backroom team?

The practice squad, which will be trimmed quite significantly before the season starts.

Basically in NFL pre-season you need more players to do all the training exercises, so players are brought in for a small wage and the majority will be cut before the actual season begins.

Guest Invicta_Toon

What is tragic is that Sam has been working with these methods since 1999, 8 years later we are just looking into them and have some catching up to do. Good things come to those who wait though :D

the sad thing is you honestly believe fat sam is the only bloke with this approach

He is, unless you can name me another manager who has installed such a comprehensive and varied backroom team?

ah right, he is, unless I can prove otherwise? good one

Guest alex

In fairness Steve, that's normally how you debate matters.

So you mean if I stated Shola is better than Henry I would have to actually explain why and it wouldn't just be seen as fact!? Fuck this message board malarky!

Guest TampaToon

been saying this for ages.  anyone who follows american sports knows that it's quite possible that even MLS teams have more comprehensive staffs than many premiership teams, and certainly NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL teams put a massive emphasis on conditioning, performance & strength coaches, trainers, rehab, and even specialized coaching and training by position. players are your biggest investment and fastest route to success, you should invest in their well-being and performance before anything.

it's shocking that this isn't the norm in such a big sport, given the improvements  it's yielded in the typical american pro athlete over the past couple of decades.  glad newcastle's looking into this - like so many antiquated ideas, the newcastle "curse" may come down to science after all.

an NFL roster consists of 53 players, for which there is 1 Head Coach, 2 Coordinators (Offensive & Defensive), about 5 position\assistant coaches per coordinator, and then 2 special teams coach. about 15 coaches for 53 players, and probably twice that in trainers, strength & conditioning staff, quality control coaches, film staff (every game and practice is filmed, and then there's a staff that edits the footage to the needs of each coach), masseuses, doctors, nutritionists, etc - like another poster said, nothing left to chance

for baseball, a 25-man roster carries a manager, a bench coach, a pitching coach, a hitting coach, and then a 1st and 3rd base coach. 6 coaches for 25 big-league players, and again probably twice that in support staff.

Guest alex

So you mean if I stated Shola is better than Henry I would have to actually explain why and it wouldn't just be seen as fact!? Fuck this message board malarky!

No, I meant he would probably ask you to.

No, I meant he would probably ask you to.

Bugger!

Guest Knightrider

Well come on then, lets see those other clubs with such a set-up.

Arsenal

Milan

Barcelona

Ajax

Just four off the top like.

Guest Knightrider

Arsenal

Milan

Barcelona

Ajax

Clubs we aspire to...

Hence Big Sam's appointment and the need for these changes.

Arsenal

Milan

Barcelona

Ajax

Clubs we aspire to...

Hence Big Sam's appointment and the need for these changes.

Agree with that totally and it won't take as long as people think once we get the right habits.

Probably add Spurs to that list.

Guest Knightrider

Anyway, to answer Vic's question. Big Sam is clearly the only bloke with this approach we could attract/who would come here.

Mind, we could have at least asked Milan, Barca, Arsenal, Spurs or Ajax for their manager first, or Vic's fave Klinsmann :lol:

Anyway, to answer Vic's question. Big Sam is clearly the only bloke with this approach we could attract/who would come here.

Mind, we could have at least asked Milan, Barca, Arsenal, Spurs or Ajax for their manager first, or Vic's fave Klinsmann :lol:

:lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

have you forgotten what has just happened these past two weeks?

you might be over the moon settling for fat Sam as the only shitebag we could get (ignoring the fact he was Fred's choice for 3 years now), some of us have more sense