Liverpool (A) FA Cup 3rd Round - January 1984

Guest Sm1d

Guest Sm1d

During this summer I'm doing some retro posts regarding my first visit to different grounds.

The first in this series is from 6th January 1984 when we played Liverpool away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup,a friday night game that was live on TV.

Anyone who was there and would like to add any memories from that night please feel free to leave a comment on the blog.

Cheers! O0

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-back-pages-30-anfield.html

Guest pont-toon

During this summer I'm doing some retro posts regarding my first visit to different grounds.

The first in this series is from 6th January 1984 when we played Liverpool away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup,a friday night game that was live on TV.

Anyone who was there and would like to add any memories from that night please feel free to leave a comment on the blog.

Cheers! O0

wasnt there but remember watching it on tv as a wee nipper

as i recall that was the promotion season and we had a canny team (well forward line) with Special K, Peter the cheetah, waddler & terry mac. Dont know why but i thought we would do them that night even though they were the best team of that era.

we got humped (4-0 i think) but my lasting memories are seeing the away fans go mental all through the game, despite being outclassed and that moment when keegan was through on goal with the nearest defender miles away and lawrenson caught him up and tackled him

Guest Sm1d

Didn't Keegan admit it was that game that made him decide he'd retire from football that summer because of the Lawro moment?

YES, that's what I've wrote,but I got mixed up between Lawrenson and Hansen,I'll have to change it.

Guest king harry

Cheers! O0

Good article that mate i was at the match myself with me dad. Also there is photos of that night (i think its that match anyway) in a liverpool book called Boys from the mersey, where a number of Liverpool fans invade the pitch (carnt remember the incident myself). One last thing mate that picture of the kop is infact Liverpool fans at wembley, easy mistake to make though as Stephen Kelly the author, used the same picture on the front of his book - The Kop.

Guest Sm1d

Cheers! O0

Good article that mate i was at the match myself with me dad. Also there is photos of that night (i think its that match anyway) in a liverpool book called Boys from the mersey, where a number of Liverpool fans invade the pitch (carnt remember the incident myself). One last thing mate that picture of the kop is infact Liverpool fans at wembley, easy mistake to make though as Stephen Kelly the author, used the same picture on the front of his book - The Kop.

I googled Kop in images and that was one of the two pictures I found,thanks for the tip off.

Guest posadageordie

Great day out, 13k travelling down for a Friday night game live on telly, crushing defeat (inevitably) but passion, chanting, 100% mad support, so sadly lacking from nufc fans now. That kind of support, during a time of economic oblivion in the NE made me so proud to be a nufc fan and to be from Newcastle. Mad now that away games are populated with middle class accountants and IT consultants with polished Geordie accents...and no passion. Sad, sad,sad, but no - one can take away the memories of the passion of the last of the true Geordies at Anfield in 84.

I remember it well; 13k/ 14k Toon fans outsinging the kop mostly with "We'll be back again next year". But my abiding memory was the scum bag Liverpool fans: small bairns mooning at your coach as it goes passed can be regarded as "funny" & we laughed but getting tonked in the game & then be attacked by 500 or so Liverpool morons is another.

Walking out of the ground the 1st row of terraced houses was blocked by Police/ Horses/ Dogs. the second was blocked with hundreds of scum bags running full tilt towards us. There was hell on & my opinion of the "lovable" scouse gits has received further credance in the years that have followed.

Yes, it was great day out but some poor sods will have had the shit kicked out of them........................

Guest helios_centric

Mad now that away games are populated with middle class accountants and IT consultants with polished Geordie accents...and no passion. Sad, sad,sad, but no - one can take away the memories of the passion of the last of the true Geordies at Anfield in 84.

Nail on the head there.

Guest king harry

I remember it well; 13k/ 14k Toon fans outsinging the kop mostly with "We'll be back again next year". But my abiding memory was the scum bag Liverpool fans: small bairns mooning at your coach as it goes passed can be regarded as "funny" & we laughed but getting tonked in the game & then be attacked by 500 or so Liverpool morons is another.

Walking out of the ground the 1st row of terraced houses was blocked by Police/ Horses/ Dogs. the second was blocked with hundreds of scum bags running full tilt towards us. There was hell on & my opinion of the "lovable" scouse gits has received further credance in the years that have followed.

Yes, it was great day out but some poor sods will have had the s*** kicked out of them........................

Guest king harry

Part and parcel of going the match in them days mate, we were talking in the pub about a month ago, of horrible away days, and some of the lads who are a bit older than me were saying in the 70s, Liverpool rarely took more than 700 or 800 to newcastle and it was famous for a nasty day out, as were sunderland and Boro even when i strated going away in the early 80s.

Part and parcel of going the match in them days mate, we were talking in the pub about a month ago, of horrible away days, and some of the lads who are a bit older than me were saying in the 70s, Liverpool rarely took more than 700 or 800 to newcastle and it was famous for a nasty day out, as were sunderland and Boro even when i strated going away in the early 80s.

There was bother if wanted it for sure & in the Keegan's 1st Saturday away game at Bolton I remember getting chased to the ground, having pieces of concrete terracing thrown at us during game, being squashed so tight together that you had no choice but to piss on the bloke next to you and it goes without saying we lost.

When I was younger still I remember being in the corner of the Gallowgate when fighting broke out with Everton fans in the East Stand & we all had to escape onto the pitch. However:

The thing about that Liverpool game was that it wasn't just a few Scousers it was hundreds of them & they'd just hammered us - they should have been in the pub. We'd all had a right laugh & a party; I think they were jealous of our support & the fact that the Kop had been drowned out live on BBC. They were arguable still the best team in europe & we were 2nd division! They have no class.

i was there,my first trip to merseyside and i found out what a bunch of scumbags they really were.been back about a dozen times and at least 3/4s have been dodgy (lovely laughing scousers in the pub,then they ring their mates and get you heavily outnumbered,then they aren't so nice).

every club has its scum,some have more than others!

they murdered us on the pitch,we murdered them in support and noise.

the main thing i remember about the game was in the first couple of minutes souness jumping in and raking his studs down kenny whartons shin,they were very very good with the ball and near psychotic without it.

Great evening out.

Stayed at pals flat in Skem for the weekend, which was an eye-opener.

Not really sure how I missed all the trouble, maybe because I was gong somewhere local and not the usual places trying to get away from the city.

Game was demoralising. We were as good as we'd been for years and we were just taken apart. Made me nervous about promotion.

I was working as part of university placement in Birmingham and travelled from there on my own. Post-match was looking dodgy so jumped on the special back to the town. Overrall sense of pride but at the same time realisation of the gulf between us and a proper team at the time.

I used to travel with a lad known as Coventry John - huge, hard fucker who always wanted me to join him in taking on other fans on the train back to Brum  from London games. He told me the next week he'd walked into The Kop pub and pulled his old lad out and pissed on the floor then just walked out - had it confirmed from a couple of others later - what a character he was.

Guest Sm1d

There was bother if wanted it for sure & in the Keegan's 1st Saturday away game at Bolton I remember getting chased to the ground, having pieces of concrete terracing thrown at us during game, being squashed so tight together that you had no choice but to piss on the bloke next to you and it goes without saying we lost.

I remember that day at Bolton,it was like a war zone, you spent most of the afternoon dodging big f*** off bricks getting hurled over from their paddock.

I remember that day at Bolton,it was like a war zone, you spent most of the afternoon dodging big f*** off bricks getting hurled over from their paddock.

i was in the seats,there was a squad in there who were off it,they'd jump down into the bolton nutters paddock,fight there way through to the fence,get hoyed out,climb the stairs back up and do it all over again.....happened at cardiff a month or two later, identically.