Cash in on Martins?

womblemaster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We'll see. Either way, in a year one of us will look back at this thread and cringe...I just hope you're good at eating humble pie. ;)

Its going to take some fucking super human effort from Martins to get any praise next season.

When they're probably going to get £30m for David Villa or whatever though, I wouldn't say it's that big a fee for them.

Why not?

They're hardly West Ham who blow money like it's going out of fashion as they've never had it before, they are a professional set up who look to buy players who they consider will either make them a better team or that they can sell on at a later to make a profit.

They don't just blow money for the sake of it.

When they're probably going to get £30m for David Villa or whatever though, I wouldn't say it's that big a fee for them.

Why not?

They're hardly West Ham who blow money like it's going out of fashion as they've never had it before, they are a professional set up who look to buy players who they consider will either make them a better team or that they can sell on at a later to make a profit.

Do you think Valencia will have seen much of him? They'll have seen his goal record of 17, seen he was a former Inter player, and think he must have had a great season.

If he scores a dozen goals and his all-round play has improved, I'll quite happily say I was wrong about him.

If he is still here I am confident he will do that.

Me too.

Why not?

Do you think Valencia will have seen much of him? They'll have seen his goal record of 17, seen he was a former Inter player, and think he must have had a great season.

Aye I am sure thats exaclty how they decide on players :lol:

They aren't Newcastle FFS! :lol:

Why not?

Is Roeder their manager now like? ;)

I see the Freddy Shepherd 'highlights reel' method of selecting transfer targets is gaining popularity

Guest philinho

I'd suggest holding onto him unless we get an offer in the region of £15m - then sell him on. He's still young and who knows how Allardyce might be able to improve his game. Now that we have Viduka to provide knock-downs, it could be the making of the little Nigerian.

Why not?

Yeah you could be right there mate, perhaps there chief scout only looks at scoring stats on Sky Sports website and watches compilations on youtube before investing £15 million on a player.

Any idea how he's rated on FM? Perhaps he plays that too.

Have they tried Viana as a defensive midfielder though? That's his natural position.

:lol:

They at least have discovered that he is good for time wasting. That's why they normally bring him on in the last couple of minutes...

22 years old and we'd have been relegated without him last season...has pace, strength and is direct, can shoot with both feet and seems to have very few fitness problems

we've just taken on a new manager who is famed for improving players' games and his tactical awareness

given all that where is the sense in selling martins, who should be more settled into his lifestyle, the area and the league to replace him with someone who might not be?

furthermore there was a point last season when berbatov and martins were neck and neck in the goals chart and we were strongly disputing who was the better buy...martins tailed off badly towards the end of the season and berbatov excelled (let's not forget berbatov hardly started the season on fire!!) but you can't take out of the equation the gulf in quality bewteen the 2 teams

how about not panic selling, giving the lad a full season with a better manager and what should be a better team?  if his all round game is still found wanting and he's not looking good enough then great move him on, there's no sense in doing it now unless we're getting double the money

Guest Knightrider

Never gonna be world class imo.

Lets sell every single one of our players then, because none of them will ever be world-class.

I'd rather cash in on Owen and Ameobi myself, one player who doesn't want to be here and one who isn't good enough to play in the first-team as a regular starter. Keep Martins who at 22 can improve and become a key player for us for a number of years.

Guest kmdnufc

We could sell Martins for around £15m - 22, 17 goals, 46 appearances in 9 months.

We could sell Owen for £9m (that's his release clause price) - 27, 7 goals, 14 appearances in 21 months.

Martins will get players, almost all players do. He was playing 3rd or 4th choice striker for years, in his first season as first choice striker in a whole new country and new league he has been one of the the best strikers and is getting better.

Owen is arguably a world class player, though he is injury prone and his 7 goals all came alongside Shearer, Martins' have been pretty much alone.

I want to keep them both and I'm sure Big Sam does.

Guest andynufc84

Keep him, see what he produces next season

Obviously its all going to rely on what Sam does and how he uses him but it would be silly to sell Martins now imo. I think there is no reason why he can't improve his all round game under Sam and finish next season with a decent return in goals.

And as mentioned earlier on in the thread the majority of Newcastle fans will be more than happy to see him improve his all round game, we have players who can score goals in Owen (providing he stays) and Viduka. Oba will be a decent option to supplement the strikers we have and be very useful to the squad..

I think patience is the key with him, lets just wait and see how gets on under Sams management.

Guest optimistic nit

That's only because Valencia have been linked with him for £15m though.

doesn't accepting valencia want him completely throw out your point about inter selling him?

we finished in the bottom half last season, martins was our top goalscorer, yet he's somehow not good enough for us. Who could we sign who is better? bent is being rated at 18mill and i don't rate him as highly as i do martins. bellamy maybe, but he's 27 now, 5 years older than martins, i'm not sure if long term that would be a good switch, and bellas comes with extra baggage.

like baggio says if we apply this logic to the whole squad we need 25 players next season. even given had a poor season.

with bellamy rafa will at somepoint come to the realisation that 1) nobody will spend 9mill on bellas 2) bellamy wants to leave and 3) bellamy's value (a lot less than 9mill) is decreasing every day he spends at liverpool not wanting to be there.

offer their money back and he'll accept imo.

That's only because Valencia have been linked with him for £15m though.

doesn't accepting valencia want him completely throw out your point about inter selling him?

we finished in the bottom half last season, martins was our top goalscorer, yet he's somehow not good enough for us. Who could we sign who is better? bent is being rated at 18mill and i don't rate him as highly as i do martins. bellamy maybe, but he's 27 now, 5 years older than martins, i'm not sure if long term that would be a good switch, and bellas comes with extra baggage.

like baggio says if we apply this logic to the whole squad we need 25 players next season. even given had a poor season.

with bellamy rafa will at somepoint come to the realisation that 1) nobody will spend 9mill on bellas 2) bellamy wants to leave and 3) bellamy's value (a lot less than 9mill) is decreasing every day he spends at liverpool not wanting to be there.

offer their money back and he'll accept imo.

I reckon West Ham would spend £9m on Bellamy. They paid what? £6.5m for Upson!

Guest optimistic nit

David Villa is a spanish international who is probably worth at the very least 3 places to them. i doubt they'd be willing to spend half of the money they get from him on a duffer.

Regarding humble pie, i don't doubt that martins showed some very poor aspects too his game last season, but thats not enough to have us sell him after 1 season, when our whole team was poor. Even if he doesn't improve next season then i will still think it was right to keep him on to see if he can produce better.

even if he is shite i'm not eating any humble pie ;)

Jon: would bellamy go to west ham. we could always ask bellamy to refuse to sign for them, meaning no matter how much they would pay they would not be able to bring his value up :)

I really would like to see what Allardyce can do with Martins. Im not referring to the hope that Allardyce will sort Martins' basic game, or general play, out.

Rather, that it may be the case that Martins goes through patches where for a few weeks, his touch is good, hes "on the ball" mentally, hes on the same wavelengths as his teamates, and his shooting is more accurate. Other weeks, he goes through spells where his touch, shooting, movement, linkup play, are all off, and he looks a poor player.

Given that Allardyce is supposed to heavily be into the stats side of things, particularly monitoring the stats of his players from training sessions, I think its reasonable to suggest that maybe he could bring the best out of Martins simply by knowing when to play him and when to drop him. That itself would be a major bonus, let alone Allardyce's coaching actually improving Martins' game, because as someone else has mentioned, when Martins is good, hes very good.

Guest BooBoo

Although i am an Oba-sceptic, it has to be said that he had a thankless task last season playing up front with very little support. If he still looks shakey next season, then it'll be cause for concern, but having Viduka alongside him will help tremendously.