Fernando Torres (From The Mirror)

Optimistic Nut

Liberty for Fernando

Atletico Madrid will spark a transfer scramble next week when confirming that striker Fernando Torres is for sale.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal have all looked at Torres, while Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle may launch a £15m bid.

Torres, 23, has scored 82 goals in 212 appearances for Madrid, with a record of 14 in 42 caps for Spain.

Atletico's failure to earn a UEFA Cup slot means they are expecting to lose their forward.

load of shit, Yeah he'll leave his home town club because they're not meeting his ambitions of playing in the champions league and winning trophys for a club that errr .. is in exactly the same situation but he has no connection with.

load of s***, Yeah he'll leave his home town club because they're not meeting his ambitions of playing in the champions league and winning trophys for a club that errr .. is in exactly the same situation but he has no connection with.

Chance to become the figure-head and big signing of a club with new money in a different league. Not that unbelievable.

load of s***, Yeah he'll leave his home town club because they're not meeting his ambitions of playing in the champions league and winning trophys for a club that errr .. is in exactly the same situation but he has no connection with.

Chance to become the figure-head and big signing of a club with new money in a different league. Not that unbelievable.

Totally unbelievable. He's the figurehead of the club he supports and will have champions league clubs after him, it would be like linking Shearer with Athletico Madrid.

Guest Svenno

Great signing for £15m, but I don't see how we could trick him into coming to St. James - 200k a week maybe

Guest exilim

Liberty for Fernando

Atletico Madrid will spark a transfer scramble next week when confirming that striker Fernando Torres is for sale.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal have all looked at Torres, while Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle may launch a £15m bid.

Torres, 23, has scored 82 goals in 212 appearances for Madrid, with a record of 14 in 42 caps for Spain.

Atletico's failure to earn a UEFA Cup slot means they are expecting to lose their forward.

Doubt newcastle is anywhere near any cup. Not even  qualifiers.

The big four and the three newly-rich.. What a load of crap

Spurs one of the newly-rich??  We haven't got our very own Icelander with money to burn.

Can't see Man Utd spending any more, Liverpool's new owners haven't opened their wallets yet, Chelsea's owner has shut his and the scum haven't got the money unless they sell Henry as they have their debt on their brand new refurbished rubbish dump.  Don't think Torres will settle for a Uefa team so Italy would be my guess for his destination.

Guest DavB93

If Owen is sold I can see us signing Torres

:D

Stranger things have happened with Newcastle in the past.

If Owen is sold I can see us signing Torres

:D

Stranger things have happened with Newcastle in the past.

Hopefully (in our new environment of "our money allied to Ashley's money") we will all soon come to accept that signing players like Torres is the norm and no longer qualifies to be classed as "stranger things".

I am sure that is what our new owner has in mind - and I am happy to go along with him in that!!

Guest DavB93

Well if Ashley wants us to be challenging for the title in 3 years and the Champions League in 5 years these are the kind of players we are going to have to buy.

Well if Ashley wants us to be challenging for the title in 3 years and the Champions League in 5 years these are the kind of players we are going to have to buy.

While obviously correct (no-one would pay £133M for anything less!) but it is a concept that is going to prove VERY difficult for some to assimilate, believe and accept.

It will take a while.

Guest Svenno

The big four and the three newly-rich.. What a load of crap

Spurs one of the newly-rich??  We haven't got our very own Icelander with money to burn.

Can't see Man Utd spending any more, Liverpool's new owners haven't opened their wallets yet, Chelsea's owner has shut his and the scum haven't got the money unless they sell Henry as they have their debt on their brand new refurbished rubbish dump.  Don't think Torres will settle for a Uefa team so Italy would be my guess for his destination.

Read something about £60m.. Surely that qualifies for "richness"? :)

Guest GenieBound

Owen and Martins in part-exchange for Torres and Gudjonsson = strike force of Viduka, Torres, Eidur = Goals galore

Not bad business either.

We can all dream, I guess...

Spurs have spent more than anyone except Chelsea in the last 3 years the shareholders might not be Icelandic but they've definately got money to burn.

All very well saying we need to buy these guys to get into the Champions League but unfortunately you have to get into the Champions League to get these guys so it's catch 22.

I think We will need to bring in some good experienced players who have played at the top level but are getting past their best and also get lucky with some good young prospects in order to get back into Europe.

Being able to afford the best players in the world is one thing, being able to attract them is another thing entirely.

Guest DavB93

All very well saying we need to buy these guys to get into the Champions League but unfortunately you have to get into the Champions League to get these guys so it's catch 22.

I think We will need to bring in some good experienced players who have played at the top level but are getting past their best and also get lucky with some good young prospects in order to get back into Europe.

Being able to afford the best players in the world is one thing, being able to attract them is another thing entirely.

Money talks like in Owen's case, when it comes down to it.