Why do we keep being linked with so many strikers.......?

Jamie

Guest WalkervilleMag

Would not surprise me 1 bit if Owen starts the season on fire, and one of either Liverpool or Arsenal make a late bid for him near deadline day.  If i could get one striker in it would be Gudjohnsen as i just think he is absolute quality and i think he could do a job ala Pedro when he came back under Keegan.

We will always be linked with top strikers as we have a history of buying big money strikers, and so are easy storys for lazy journalists.

Think Big Sam is doing a good job so far of keeping his defensive targets quiet, as he knows that they are the priority, and does not want to start having to pay silly money for 2nd and 3rd choices. 

At the moment - with the 4 strikers we currently have - have got one of each type of striker needed to be successful - Owen - prolific poacher / Viduka - Big target man, hold ball up / Martins - Quick Powerful Pacy forward, full of running / Ameobi - Unpredictability, good backup - this means in theory we could play any tactics and have the players for it.

Gudjohnsen for Owen wouldn't be good - because who would put the ball away into the net? Martins - I really rate him as a player, but his finishing needs work. WOuld like to see Gudjohnsen here, don't get me wrong - but not at the expense of anyone else - an addition to midfield / striker. Behind the front two if possible. That said - we do have Luque - he's certainly skilful enough for this position - his vision could be exploited in such a role. Tbh - get two full backs in at least - 1 RB, Solano/Dyer as back up - 2 LB's if possible - another CB, a defensive midfielder (Lassana Diarra - Chelsea anyone?) THEN we can look at the strike options.

Milner / Dyer Duff /N'Zogbia / Luque Emre/Barton are very attack minded players - really good quality already there imo.

Im sick to death of the papers linking us with strikers. Owens not going anywhere as his family is settled up here, non of the big four want him and no one else can match the terms of his contract (or will be prepared to given his injury record). Martins isnt going anywhere, the papers have been trying to link him back to Italy based on absolutly no evidence, there has been nothing in the Italian press just the deluded rambling of Alan freaking Oliver who has very large chip on his sholder when it comes to all things Obafemi Martins. Why the hell are people getting so worried his clause? Its £13/14m ffs! Anyone who pays that sort of money for him is monumentally stupid, he's a decent enough player but he has far too many rough edges to his game to warrant a price tag of that size, maybe he could bump his value up near that in the future if he can learn about movement off the ball (just sit him down with Owen and Alan and let them explain about how to make things a whole lot easier by just being in the right place), his first touch needs to be improved and his style of play needs to stop being so god damn reactionary - if he anticipated balls he could exploit his pace to devastating effect but most of the time he waits until the ball is already over his head before realising he needs to start running thus letting defenders get a few yards on him before he hit top gear. At this moment in time his actual value is around £7-8m, no more no less.

Not when Bent is worth (or going for) £16m.

Agree about Anal though, really negative towards the kid, the c*** should get off his back and enjoy the good moments instead of laying all the troubles of NUFC at a 21 year olds (who's just left from another Country, played in a s**** team with no fixed striking partner who's manager has the tactical awareness of a haggis and the management skills of David Brent) feet.

You must have missed Anal's stories last week where he said "And when you consider Charlton Athletic have slapped a £17m fee around the neck of Darren Bent who is nowhere as good a goalscorer as Owen and Martins, then it shows what good value the United pair would be at £9m and £13m." only for him to say the very next day "If United are to lose Owen or Martins I would love to see them make a late bid for Darren Bent, who looks certain to leave Charlton Athletic even though he is over-priced at £16m."

He must think we have very short memories. Either that or he's got Alzheimer's disease.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Every player has a agent these days so with Newcastle having a reputation for paying big transfer fees and big wages it does them no harm to link us with their players.

Agents are thinking about their cut of of the wages and transfer fees.