Scum sign Eduardo da Silva

Martin Lol

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/kind=2/newsid=557172.html

Arsenal FC have moved swiftly to replace Thierry Henry after agreeing a deal to sign NK Dinamo Zagreb striker Eduardo da Silva for an undisclosed fee thought to be a Croatian record.

Four-year deal

The Brazilian-born 24-year-old signed for Dinamo in 1998 from CBF Nova Kennedy and has since become a Croatian international. He has finalised terms for a contract until 2011 subject to a medical and has flown to London with Dinamo sport director Zoran Mamić.

'Excited and happy'

Eduardo said: "I am excited and happy in the same time, also a very proud that I am going to play in such a big club. Every football player want to play for [FC] Barcelona, Real [Madrid CF], Manchester United [FC] or Arsenal one day and so do I. I want to progress in my career, but it is be hard to leave Dinamo Zagreb after eight years. I will miss the club, the guys...I will be back one day, but now I want to accept a new challenge." Mirko Barišić, NK Dinamo Zagreb president, added: "I think the transfer is worth €24m from the money Arsenal got after selling Henry to Barcelona."

Record tally

Eduardo has been the top scorer in the Croatian First League for the last two seasons, scoring a divisional record 34 goals in 2006/07 as Dinamo retained the title, taking the tally to 47 in all club competitions. A message on Dinamo's website read: "Eduardo, thank you for all that you gave to our team and we wish you a successful career at one of the most respected clubs on the world."

Stadium first

Eduardo scored the first competitive goal at Arsenal's new stadium in Dinamo's UEFA Champions League third qualifying round defeat last August and two months later struck against England in a UEFA EURO 2008™ fixture. Arsenal enter the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round again in August.

Guest Toon83

Looks like a really good goalscorer, but £16.2m (more than Henry) seems a bit much to pay IMO