Where's The Beef?

Tsunami

What's really going on? The early excitement of the takeover is becoming increasingly replaced with thoughts of what are we doing & where is the cash?

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players. We have also failed to attract another free agent (Ben Haim) and have been rebuffed by Beye, Heinze & possibly others that we do not know about.

Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing.

Sam made it clear that he wants a new defence. So far we have released more defenders than we have brought in; although it seems that Geremi will be used as a right back. We still need another RB, 2LB's & at least 1 more central defender & another central midfield player. We haven't got much time to get these in & make them into a defensive unit ready for the start of the season. If either Martins or Owen leaves we have further holes to plug.

There has been talk of Edmilson, Duscher, Deco, Gudjohnsen, Bridge, Young et al. Much of this talk is little more than hyperbole created by the press with little else to talk about.

I have still got my rose tainted specs on at the moment & I believe that Sam is doing all that he can but I am a little concerned. This latest episode with Duscher is almost comical & does nothing but raise questions.

Where is the cash?

Why can't we get the players we want?

The takeover hasn't even been completed yet you knacker.

Guest Verlaine

http://www.mainlesson.com/books/treadwell/primer/zpage065.jpg

http://www.mainlesson.com/books/treadwell/primer/zpage066.jpg

Chicken Little was in the woods.

A seed fell on his tail.

Chicken Little said,

"The sky is falling.

I will run."

http://www.mainlesson.com/books/treadwell/primer/zpage067.jpg

Chicken Little met Henny Penny.

He said,

"The sky is falling, Henny Penny."

Henny Penny said,

"How do you know, Chicken Little?"

Chicken Little said,

"Some of it fell on my tail."

"We will run," said Henny Penny.

"We will run and tell the king."

The best players aren't going to come to us at the moment, doesn't matter how much money Ashley waves about. Like Nyt said earlier, we don't want to end up throwing money at 2nd tier players out of despeartion instead. Viduka and Geremi are class players in my book, then we have Barton and Rozenhal through the door as well. Hardly a poor return so far but the full back situation still needs sorting and no doubt it will.

Guest Gemmill

Methinks Tsunami is missing his annual trophy signings. :razz:

Not that interested in them Gemmill. I want a defense. I would have loved us to have gone after Woodgate, may be a bit of a risk at 7M but surely well worth the gamble?

I have seen the views that Baines is too small but I'd also take him; I'd love Bridge but that aint going to happen. Luke Young/ Shorey? Not sure, better than what we have but not top drawer.

There's 5 players (not a trophy player in sight) & we have signed a untility man to play at RB.

:lol:  Of the 5 players you mentioned, you're not sure on two, one of them was unavailable, which leaves Baines and Bridge (who may or may not be available, but it seems he probably isn't).  You mention yourself that Baines is viewed as too small by Allardyce (if Allardyce doesn't think he's the man for the job, that's good enough for me). 

So of that list we've managed to whittle it down to Bridge who it looks like Mourinho wants to keep.  This transfer business is a bit harder than just reeling off a list of potentials isn't it? I would much sooner we make careful, considered decisions than draw up lists like you just have, and go for whatever's available on it even if we're not sure they're up to the task.  I'm hoping we've moved on from that sort of thing.

i thought it was? he has over 95% so can force the other 5% to sell up.

He has the 95% but it won't be officially complete until the club is de-listed from the stock market.......28th July is the date being talked about.

Like I said, the takeover isn't complete yet.

Guest Verlaine

Methinks Tsunami is missing his annual trophy signings. :razz:

Not that interested in them Gemmill. I want a defense. I would have loved us to have gone after Woodgate, may be a bit of a risk at 7M but surely well worth the gamble?

I have seen the views that Baines is too small but I'd also take him; I'd love Bridge but that aint going to happen. Luke Young/ Shorey? Not sure, better than what we have but not top drawer.

There's 5 players (not a trophy player in sight) & we have signed a untility man to play at RB.

:lol:  Of the 5 players you mentioned, you're not sure on two, one of them was unavailable, which leaves Baines and Bridge (who may or may not be available, but it seems he probably isn't).  You mention yourself that Baines is viewed as too small by Allardyce (if Allardyce doesn't think he's the man for the job, that's good enough for me). 

So of that list we've managed to whittle it down to Bridge who it looks like Mourinho wants to keep.  This transfer business is a bit harder than just reeling off a list of potentials isn't it? I would much sooner we make careful, considered decisions than draw up lists like you just have, and go for whatever's available on it even if we're not sure they're up to the task.  I'm hoping we've moved on from that sort of thing.

Get the fuck out of here with your 'logic' and 'reason'. WE'RE OWNED BY A BILLIONAIRE.

Guest firetotheworks

What's really going on? The early excitement of the takeover is becoming increasingly replaced with thoughts of what are we doing & where is the cash?

The colds facts at the moment are that...

We need to chill though  -  remember, it is still only mid-July!

I am trying to be chill about this; but do not want to be frozen out.

I sense a theme here...hmm. Im a bit worried too. but as someone pointed out earlier I dont think theres any players that have moved that Id liked us to have been in for. Distin maybe.

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players. We have also failed to attract another free agent (Ben Haim) and have been rebuffed by Beye, Heinze & possibly others that we do not know about.

Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing.

Sam made it clear that he wants a new defence. So far we have released more defenders than we have brought in; although it seems that Geremi will be used as a right back. We still need another RB, 2LB's & at least 1 more central defender & another central midfield player. We haven't got much time to get these in & make them into a defensive unit ready for the start of the season. If either Martins or Owen leaves we have further holes to plug.

There has been talk of Edmilson, Duscher, Deco, Gudjohnsen, Bridge, Young et al. Much of this talk is little more than hyperbole created by the press with little else to talk about.

I have still got my rose tainted specs on at the moment & I believe that Sam is doing all that he can but I am a little concerned. This latest episode with Duscher is almost comical & does nothing but raise questions.Where is the cash?

Why can't we get the players we want?

No it doesnt.

1 week of inactivity in the transfer market and that is posted?

Get. A. Grip.

Guest Verlaine

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players.

Basically, what you're saying there is that you're horrified that the club is actually doing good business, then going on to complain that we're not 'squad-building', having whined that we brought in four players.

It's 'What's the beef?,' too, FYI.

Umm... its only mid July for christs sake.

Our squad is still better than it was at the end of last season, and theres still around 7 weeks left of the window.

So would you have been happy if we signed Duscher? Even though he was sub-par and overweight, just so that we could add another player onto our books?

I don't care what you say either, most of the 'big' players won't join us, why leave a club that is playing in the Champions League, to come to a club that isn't even in the UEFA??

Guest optimistic nit

He has the 95% but it won't be officially complete until the club is de-listed from the stock market.......28th July is the date being talked about.

18th i think actually.

how is the duscher thing comical btw? he is a highly rated dm, available for free, we brought him here, he's overweight and unfit and sent packing. basically what should have happened to bernard last year and kluivert 3 years ago.

Guest optimistic nit

not in the duscher residence ;)

Guest Verlaine

not in the duscher residence ;)

Nice, nice.

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players.

Basically, what you're saying there is that you're horrified that the club is actually doing good business, then going on to complain that we're not 'squad-building', having whined that we brought in four players.

I'll think you'll find it is "Where's the beef" & I am not saying that at all. I am saying we have brought in 4 players for little money & are now struggling to get others in & querying why.

Ok; where not owned by a billionaire & we are doing fantastic business in the the transfer market, we will be ok by the start of the season. There is no reason to question what is happening as it will all resolve itself come kick off.

Meanwhile Sam is working his crackers off to get players in & for some reason is not succeeding. If it is being implied that MA will not release the purse strings until the club is delisted then MA motives need questioning as he would currently be hindering the club.

Guest Verlaine

I'll think you'll find it is "Where's the beef" & I am not saying that at all. I am saying we have brought in 4 players for little money & are now struggling to get others in & querying why.

Money on that? Bet you £100.

18th i think actually.

how is the duscher thing comical btw? he is a highly rated dm, available for free, we brought him here, he's overweight and unfit and sent packing. basically what should have happened to bernard last year and kluivert 3 years ago.

I think you have answered your own question.

Guest Verlaine

Ok; where not owned by a billionaire & we are doing fantastic business in the the transfer market, we will be ok by the start of the season. There is no reason to question what is happening as it will all resolve itself come kick off.

Meanwhile Sam is working his crackers off to get players in & for some reason is not succeeding. If it is being implied that MA will not release the purse strings until the club is delisted then MA motives need questioning as he would currently be hindering the club.

Not succeeding? He's got four players in already. Have a word.

"Where's the beef?" is a catch phrase best known in the United States and Canada. Since it was first used, it has become an all-purpose phrase questioning the substance of an idea, event or product.

It came to public attention in a 1980s US television commercial created by Joe Sedelmaier as part of Dancer, Fitzgerald, Sample's fast food advertising campaign for the Wendy's chain of hamburger restaurants. In the ad, titled "Fluffy Bun", elderly actress Clara Peller receives a competitor's burger with a massive bun (the competitor's slogan was "Home of the Big Bun"). The small patty prompts the gruff Peller to angrily exclaim "Where's the beef?" The humorous ad and Peller's memorable character soon gave the catch-phrase a life of its own, and it was repeated in countless TV shows, films, magazines, and other media outlets.

First airing on January 10, 1984, "Fluffy Bun" featured three elderly ladies examining an exaggeratedly huge hamburger bun topped with a minuscule hamburger patty: the other two ladies poked it, exchanging bemused comments: "It certainly is a big bun." "It's a big fluffy bun", before being interrupted by Peller's outraged, irascible demand. Sequels featured Peller yelling at a Fluffy Bun executive on his yacht over the phone, and coming up to drive up windows at multiple fast food restaurants that would be slammed down before she could complete the line

The phrase was associated with the 1984 U.S. presidential election. During primaries in the spring[when? — see talk page] of 1984, when the commercial was at its height of popularity, Democratic candidate and former Vice President Walter Mondale ridiculed the candidacy of his rival, Senator Gary Hart by using the phrase during a televised debate before the New York and Pennsylvania primaries.

Hart had moved his candidacy from dark horse to the lead over Mondale based on his repeated use of the phrase "new ideas." When Hart once again used the slogan in the debate, Mondale leaned forward and said, "When I hear your new ideas I'm reminded of that ad, 'Where's the beef?'" The line got a great response from the audience. Thenceforth, the two campaigns continually clashed using the two dueling slogans. Mondale ultimately prevailed to win the Democratic Party nomination, only to lose the general election in 1984 in a landslide to incumbent Ronald Reagan.

Give the money to charity & let the mods know who it is for. My own preference would by the Special Care Baby Unit at the RVI who I'm forever grateful.

Guest Verlaine

"Where's the beef?" is a catch phrase best known in the United States and Canada. Since it was first used, it has become an all-purpose phrase questioning the substance of an idea, event or product.

It came to public attention in a 1980s US television commercial created by Joe Sedelmaier as part of Dancer, Fitzgerald, Sample's fast food advertising campaign for the Wendy's chain of hamburger restaurants. In the ad, titled "Fluffy Bun", elderly actress Clara Peller receives a competitor's burger with a massive bun (the competitor's slogan was "Home of the Big Bun"). The small patty prompts the gruff Peller to angrily exclaim "Where's the beef?" The humorous ad and Peller's memorable character soon gave the catch-phrase a life of its own, and it was repeated in countless TV shows, films, magazines, and other media outlets.

First airing on January 10, 1984, "Fluffy Bun" featured three elderly ladies examining an exaggeratedly huge hamburger bun topped with a minuscule hamburger patty: the other two ladies poked it, exchanging bemused comments: "It certainly is a big bun." "It's a big fluffy bun", before being interrupted by Peller's outraged, irascible demand. Sequels featured Peller yelling at a Fluffy Bun executive on his yacht over the phone, and coming up to drive up windows at multiple fast food restaurants that would be slammed down before she could complete the line

The phrase was associated with the 1984 U.S. presidential election. During primaries in the spring[when? — see talk page] of 1984, when the commercial was at its height of popularity, Democratic candidate and former Vice President Walter Mondale ridiculed the candidacy of his rival, Senator Gary Hart by using the phrase during a televised debate before the New York and Pennsylvania primaries.

Hart had moved his candidacy from dark horse to the lead over Mondale based on his repeated use of the phrase "new ideas." When Hart once again used the slogan in the debate, Mondale leaned forward and said, "When I hear your new ideas I'm reminded of that ad, 'Where's the beef?'" The line got a great response from the audience. Thenceforth, the two campaigns continually clashed using the two dueling slogans. Mondale ultimately prevailed to win the Democratic Party nomination, only to lose the general election in 1984 in a landslide to incumbent Ronald Reagan.

Give the money to charity & let the mods know who it is for. My own preference would by the Special Care Baby Unit at the RVI who I'm forever grateful.

You've, uh, undermined your whole argument by defining it. Nice job. What you really meant was 'What's the beef?' which means 'What's going on?

Guest optimistic nit

18th i think actually.

I think you need to stop smoking crack.

Give the money to charity & let the mods know who it is for. My own preference would be the Special Care Baby Unit at the RVI who I'm forever grateful.

You've, uh, undermined your whole argument by defining it. Nice job. What you really meant was 'What's the beef?' which means 'What's going on?

Err, you owe charity £100 mate. The phrase is "Where's the beef" as in "Where is the substance". It doesn't become you trying to wriggle out of it by making up your own phrase & saying that is what I meant.

18th i think actually.

I think you need to stop smoking crack.

? Hands up if your think we should be giving trials to overweight & unfit players? Sam wasn't even there to see him the first day. Complete waste of time.

Guest Verlaine

Give the money to charity & let the mods know who it is for. My own preference would be the Special Care Baby Unit at the RVI who I'm forever grateful.

Err, you owe charity £100 mate. The phrase is "Where's the beef" as in "Where is the substance". It doesn't become you trying to wriggle out of it by making up your own phrase & saying that is what I meant.

Considering the first sentence of your original post is 'what's going on?' you don't have a leg to stand on. The argument is over, because you're wrong.

I've moaned about our transfer activity over the past 3 or so years but so far this window I think we've done well.  At least three of the 4 players who have come in are better than the ones who have left the club and I think most people feel that we should have done better last season with the players we had anyway.  If we spend then we need to get value for money, something which I think we've done quite well at so far.

I still think we could do with another 5 players and we have plenty of time to do that, Allardyce is probably still having a look at what he's inherited and where he needs to strengthen, he'd be mad just to but for the sake of it and bring in players who we either don't need or will not fit in.