Spend big now or clear the debt first?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Article

Mort: We’ll back Sam all the way  Previous 1 2 

Debts have to be reduced

NEWCASTLE United must reduce their debt insists Chris Mort.

But the United chairman insisted the club would not suffer from any cost-cutting exercises.

United’s debt is believed to be in the region of £80m and Mort insisted: “This is higher than we expected and one of our aims is to get it down. It has got too high for the club to support and it is our intention to reduce it.

“But this is part and parcel of the game and it is part of our managing of the club to make sure we get this right. But I cannot think of any area where we are cutting costs or reducing our investment in the club.

“However, it doesn’t make sense to let the debt run away with itself which it has in the last couple of years. But hearts were in the right place as people tried to bring in players they thought were right for the club.”

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

While the fans are clamouring for new faces, Mort revealed that a lot of work has been going on at the club’s training ground which has already cost £8m to establish and which is recognised as one of the best in Europe.

He added: “We have brought in a new backroom staff and spent a bit of money on our training ground facilities to get our players fit.

“We have invested a lot of money on improving our medical facilities to make sure our assets are not in the treatment room but our on the pitch.”

People go on about our lack of investment in the defence, but it is the one area of the pitch where you can make do with workmanlike players.

We got into the champions league with a back four of Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas and Bernard. We failed when you add £7m Woodgate and £5m Bramble.

If we were to go into the season with Carr, Taylor, Roz, Babayaro and Ramage i'd be worried, if we add at least one experienced and strong centre back, a competent left back and another who could cover right back and centre back I'd be happy that this would be strong enough (injuries allowing) to allow us to progress towards top 6 where hopefully in Jan or next summer we can atttract a better calibre of defender to the club.

What is important however is that we adequaely replace Dyer and anyone else who may leave, and I would still like to see another defensive midfielder to be bought.

As for the debt, its far better to get this to a manageable level as soon as possible

I've watched this lot for 48 years and this is exactly why we win nowt

We have this death wish were we spend money on forawds (why the hell do we need Smith for example when we have Owen, ameobi. luque & martins) and "make do" in defence

year in , year out the same "exciting" matches when we get beat 3-2 or 5-4

we need CLASS in all parts of the field AT THE SAME TIME

People go on about our lack of investment in the defence, but it is the one area of the pitch where you can make do with workmanlike players.

We got into the champions league with a back four of Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas and Bernard. We failed when you add £7m Woodgate and £5m Bramble.

If we were to go into the season with Carr, Taylor, Roz, Babayaro and Ramage i'd be worried, if we add at least one experienced and strong centre back, a competent left back and another who could cover right back and centre back I'd be happy that this would be strong enough (injuries allowing) to allow us to progress towards top 6 where hopefully in Jan or next summer we can atttract a better calibre of defender to the club.

What is important however is that we adequaely replace Dyer and anyone else who may leave, and I would still like to see another defensive midfielder to be bought.

As for the debt, its far better to get this to a manageable level as soon as possible

I've watched this lot for 48 years and this is exactly why we win nowt

We have this death wish were we spend money on forawds (why the hell do we need Smith for example when we have Owen, ameobi. luque & martins) and "make do" in defence

year in , year out the same "exciting" matches when we get beat 3-2 or 5-4

we need CLASS in all parts of the field AT THE SAME TIME

Totally agree Robindra.

Rob's right (we need good players in every position is hardly a revelation mind ;) ) but Mr. Haircut was spot on too. It's forwards/attacking players that get you up the league. It's the old adage about forwards win you matches and defenders win you titles though (or whatever it is), good attacking players alone will only get you so far.

From the Times:

He explained that, with £80 million debts that are “too high for the club to support”, there is an onus on prudence. “One of Sam’s strengths is finding and buying players and we are hoping he will bring some sense and stability to the club’s signings,” Mort said. Suggestions that Ashley is regretting his purchase are misguided. “It is not a short-term project for Mike Ashley or myself,” Mort said. “If you look at the companies Mike has bought, like Dunlop and Slazenger, he has developed them over 20 years.