Caçapa signs 2 year deal. (Interview page 17)

Optimistic Nut

Guest Moe-Ali

Cacapa: "Happy and proud"

Claudio Cacapa signed for Newcastle United on Friday for two seasons (with an option of a third) where he will find, most notably, ex-PSG defender David Rozehnal. The Brazilian, who was also chased by Genoa and Toulouse says he is, "happy and proud" to be joining The Magpies, and says the niggling injuries which blighted his season last year are but a distant memory.

Claudio, on Friday you signed for Newcastle, we would imagine that you're relieved aren't you!

Absolutely, even though I was no longer disappointed. It's because of that I waited two months to make my decision to go elsewhere. I knew somebody would offer me something of interest. I had lots of contacts, but now I have arrived here, I knew that it was here that I wanted to play. Everything is in place to be a big club here: a nice stadium, big fanbase, talented players...today I am very happy and very proud to be a Newcastle player. Also, it will allow me to learn English! (laughs)

Which other clubs were you in contact with?

As I told you, I had contact with many people, but very few made me a concrete offer. there were Besiktas, Real Mallorca, Toulouse...and, in France, I also heard there was interest from PSG and Bordeaux, but nobody called me from those clubs.

You were equally close to joining Genoa. What happened there?

There were sick people who called the club's directors to tell them to pay attention to Cacapa because of the physical problems I had last year...

You must be looking forward to playing competitive football again?

Yes, absolutely! Especially in this league, where every weekend, there are big crowds. I needed a new motivation and I think I have found what I was missing. Here, for 90 minutes during the match it's a real battle! Many people thought that because of my injuries, for me, football was finished. But me, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I want to prove to only myself that I am still capable of doing good things. To be able to do that in the best league in the world, it's a pleasure.

Do you have the feeling that you're starting from scratch?

It's a new challenge that's been offered to me...in anycase, it doesn't nag me to restart all over again. It's normal...here in England, not everybody knows me...when I start to play football, I must show my qualities. Here, it's similar! I must win my place in the side, and that I can prove I can play at this level.

You haven't had a "classical" pre-season preparation. Where are you physically?

I'm not yet at 100%, but I'm not doing badly at all. I've been in Newcastle for a week working now. I think I will be close to being fully-fit within a week. All that I lack are matches!

In terms of ambition, what will be Newcastle's targets for this season?

Like I said just before, in terms of infrastructure, players, Newcastle have nothing to fear from clubs like Arsenal or Liverpool. All that we lack simply are trophies...we will try to put that right. The club is very ambitious for this coming season.

And a word on Lyon with who you spent the last 7 years?

I will hold great memories! In Lyon, I made many friends, and already I miss my old team-mates, the church...everything. But anyway, I know I'll return one day during my retirement, or even beforehand even if it's just to attend a match. Now I am just a supporter of theirs and I really hope they win everything, and that includes the Champions League!

Exciting !

Guest stjamestoon

I know, brilliant news, him and Enrique, Smith in aswell, lets just hope we can hang onto the players we already have, minus Dyer, and look forward to a exciting new season!

Cacapa: "Happy and proud"

Claudio Cacapa signed for Newcastle United on Friday for two seasons (with an option of a third) where he will find, most notably, ex-PSG defender David Rozehnal. The Brazilian, who was also chased by Genoa and Toulouse says he is, "happy and proud" to be joining The Magpies, and says the niggling injuries which blighted his season last year are but a distant memory.

Claudio, on Friday you signed for Newcastle, we would imagine that you're relieved aren't you!

Absolutely, even though I was no longer disappointed. It's because of that I waited two months to make my decision to go elsewhere. I knew somebody would offer me something of interest. I had lots of contacts, but now I have arrived here, I knew that it was here that I wanted to play. Everything is in place to be a big club here: a nice stadium, big fanbase, talented players...today I am very happy and very proud to be a Newcastle player. Also, it will allow me to learn English! (laughs)

Which other clubs were you in contact with?

As I told you, I had contact with many people, but very few made me a concrete offer. there were Besiktas, Real Mallorca, Toulouse...and, in France, I also heard there was interest from PSG and Bordeaux, but nobody called me from those clubs.

You were equally close to joining Genoa. What happened there?

There were sick people who called the club's directors to tell them to pay attention to Cacapa because of the physical problems I had last year...

You must be looking forward to playing competitive football again?

Yes, absolutely! Especially in this league, where every weekend, there are big crowds. I needed a new motivation and I think I have found what I was missing. Here, for 90 minutes during the match it's a real battle! Many people thought that because of my injuries, for me, football was finished. But me, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I want to prove to only myself that I am still capable of doing good things. To be able to do that in the best league in the world, it's a pleasure.

Do you have the feeling that you're starting from scratch?

It's a new challenge that's been offered to me...in anycase, it doesn't nag me to restart all over again. It's normal...here in England, not everybody knows me...when I start to play football, I must show my qualities. Here, it's similar! I must win my place in the side, and that I can prove I can play at this level.

You haven't had a "classical" pre-season preparation. Where are you physically?

I'm not yet at 100%, but I'm not doing badly at all. I've been in Newcastle for a week working now. I think I will be close to being fully-fit within a week. All that I lack are matches!

In terms of ambition, what will be Newcastle's targets for this season?

Like I said just before, in terms of infrastructure, players, Newcastle have nothing to fear from clubs like Arsenal or Liverpool. All that we lack simply are trophies...we will try to put that right. The club is very ambitious for this coming season.

And a word on Lyon with who you spent the last 7 years?

I will hold great memories! In Lyon, I made many friends, and already I miss my old team-mates, the church...everything. But anyway, I know I'll return one day during my retirement, or even beforehand even if it's just to attend a match. Now I am just a supporter of theirs and I really hope they win everything, and that includes the Champions League!

Good read, cheers!

He reckons he could be close to fully fit within a week. Didn't Sam say somewhere he may have to throw him in against Bolton because of injuries? If that's the case we might see a bit of him today I'd have thought.