Caçapa signs 2 year deal. (Interview page 17)

Optimistic Nut

Excellent stuff, there's Craig Moore replaced. Only Onyewu and Bernard to cover now and we're no worse off numbers-wise than we were last season.

Is everyone optimistic again yet?

Excellent stuff, there's Craig Moore replaced. Only Onyewu and Bernard to cover now and we're no worse off numbers-wise than we were last season.

Its hard to count Bernard though.

Definitely optimistic.

Its hard to count Bernard though.

Definitely optimistic.

Of course, and Onyewu barely featured as well. Things are looking up massively defence wise both in terms of numbers AND quality, if we can keep them all fit of course.

A top-class right back and I'll be doing cartwheels.

Of course, and Onyewu barely featured as well. Things are looking up massively defence wise both in terms of numbers AND quality, if we can keep them all fit of course.

At least the local hospitals can relax without having to worry about the wrist slashers now that we've made these signings.

At least the local hospitals can relax without having to worry about the wrist slashers now that we've made these signings.

:celb:

"Why isn't Mort saying anything in public!? WE MUST BE APPEASED! ...Oh..."

"Why have we signed Smith and no defenders!? We could have used that money on defenders, we're skint! ...Oh..."

It's nice to see the optimists winning for once, at least in the short term before things can even go tits up :lol:

"Why have we signed Smith and no defenders!? We could have used that money on defenders, we're skint! ...Oh..."

It's nice to see the optimists winning for once, at least in the short term before things can even go tits up :lol:

"We only have the money from selling Dyer! ...Oh..."

Not sure what side I fall on, I had been optimistic on everything until Smith! Can we just write that one off as a blip? :D

I'd almost forgot how to be an optimist when referring to the club, it's becomeing easier with time and practice.  :lol:

I'd almost forgot how to be an optimist when referring to the club, it's becomeing easier with time and practice.  :lol:

This "feelgood" factor is vital for our chances next season, IMO, if Allardyce and Mort can get the fans riled-up and behind the team (which we haven't been on a regular basis since the Robson days) then I think it's fair to say we'll not see the amount of points dropped at home that we have in recent times. People cannot underestimate the power of the public up here where NUFC are concerned, if we're all pulling in the right direction then things could be brilliant.

All of these players coming in a week before the real stuff gets underway should act as good buoyancy for the Bolton game and if we finally get a good result at the Reebok again then we could be ready for takeoff.

Well Leazes' argument about not backing the manager and signing good young defenders went down the toilet in 6 hours. :lol:

Where is he?

Down the pub?

That's where he usually says he's off to when he's losing in an argument.

Well Leazes' argument about not backing the manager and signing good young defenders went down the toilet within 6 hours. :lol:

He never had a fucking argument in the first place.

"We only have the money from selling Dyer! ...Oh..."

Was on SMB before and they were delighted the deal had stalled, as it meant we were fucked for transfers.

Well Leazes' argument about not backing the manager and signing good young defenders went down the toilet in 6 hours. :lol:

Where is he?

Down the pub?

That's where he usually says he's off to when he's losing in an argument.

:kasper: On another message board I post on some fella use to do the same, and he was a proven pedo  :cheesy:

And good signing, very experinced.

GERARD HOULLIER has told Sam Allardyce he has made a “great signing” in Brazilian international Cacapa.

The 31-year-old defender will sign for Newcastle United today on a free transfer after the player had a successful time under Houllier at Lyon.

And Houllier revealed that Big Sam has spoken to him about Cacapa before finally deciding to hand the defender a contract at St James’ Park.

In an exclusive interview with the Chronicle, Houllier said today: “Sam has spoken to me about Cacapa and I have told him that providing they can keep him fit, he will turn out to be a great signing for Newcastle United.

“Yes, we had a bit of a fall-out at Lyon last season, but this was because he had refused to sign a new contract.

“Now that he is joining Newcastle, they will be getting a very experienced defender which, I understand, is just what Sam is looking for.”

The Chronicle revealed that United were signing Cacapa yesterday and contacts were quick to phone me waxing lyrical about the defender who now has a French passport, which means there is no problem about him playing in the Premiership.

But I have been told that Cacapa is not the sort of player you usually associate coming out of Brazil, with flashy footwork and silky skills, but more of a no-nonsense defender who likes a battle.

And quite frankly, after the lack of bottle some United players showed at the end of last season, this is just what is needed at St James’ Park.

Meanwhile, United’s new fitness team have been amazed at just how fit Cacapa is, even though he has practically done no pre-season work.

But just how early the third player from Brazil to wear the black-and-white shirt tastes some action will depend on the injury situation.

My information is that United will try to sign another central defender before the trip to Bolton Wanderers for the Premiership opener a week tomorrow.

But Allardyce tells me he will hang fire as far as another Brazilian – Edmilson – is concerned, instead he says he will wait until the Barcelona central defender is fit again. and he is now a potential target in the January transfer window.

--

Italic text shows source. :)

Not sure what to make of Houliier's comments but it all sounds very encouraging on the face of it. The "providing they can keep him fit" bit is a worry given his appearance record but he sounds like a great player.

Caca-pa!-pa!-pa!

[vic and bob]