European Qualification

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The CL is the one that really sells a club to top players, but the UEFA is better than nothing and as MJ said, it DOES raise a club's profile.

In our case, it would be a sign of the right sort of progress - if anyone doubts that, just imagine how you would feel if , by some fluke, the Mackems made the UEFA & we didn't......esp if we were both in the market for the same player....

The mackems have never played in the UEFA, I thought they were going to do it two years running, they bragged a lot but fell short in the end, I must admit I enjoyed seeing them fail but not as much as I enjoyed them going down to the third, that was historic.

Mort is trying to keep expectations down and the pressure off Allardyce.

I'd like to think that was the case. Is that a hunch or based on a quote? Either way, i'm inclined to believe you.

Just a hunch, I think with all of the change at the club Mort is doing his best just to steady the ship, he probably wants Europe and if they spend money on a left back and a right back then I think he'll expect it, it doesn't really benefit anyone by telling the press that though.

I really cant wait for the season to start now and its been a while since i had any sense of anticipation about a coming season. Only then will we really know if the lads coming in are good enough to get us into europe.

However, i think Mort has played this pre-season really well, our expectations are our biggest downfall at times and he hasnt come out with any easy PR to appease the unrest and seems to have supported Sam in his efforts. I think a top class RB would complete the picture for this season too. My hope is that if Sam repeats his feats with Bolton and gets our squad to over-perform that will mean he releases funds next year that could mean breaking the top 4.

Doesn't look like the keeping-expectations-down thing is working very well, tbh.

Guest MIKELMAN11

The managers themselves (and not just in this country) show what they really think by fielding under-strength teams. In fact, we even had a manager last year (Steve Coppell) who was hoping his team wouldn't qualify.

I think steve coppell was hoping not to qualify because reading wouldnt have a big enough squad to compete in europe as well as the premier league and fa - carling cup but newcastle have a bigger squad or should i say soon have one , i would love to see newcastle win the carling cup or uefa cup which arent the most glamious and then continue to build a team and move on to bigger and better things .