Big Sam: Geremi an example to follow

Leazes1986

Sam Speaks:  Geremi An Example To Follow

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce believes that his players should look to current Magpies skipper Geremi as an example to follow ahead of the new campaign.

Big Sam has not decided upon his full-time captain for next season, but did hand the armband to the Cameroon star for United's final two pre-season fixtures against Hull City and Sampdoria.

And the Toon boss feels that, with or without the captaincy, Geremi is a player who others should look towards if they want to improve their game.

"If the other lads have got an example to go by rather than twisting and turning then you play the game like Geremi," the 52-year-old boss told Newcastle World TV.

"He is a very experienced and comfortable player and he shows how the game should be played.

"That is do not complicate things, play what you see and play it early.

"He uses his experience, knowledge, vision and skill to make the game look very simple but very effective indeed."

Geremi joined the Magpies on a free transfer from Chelsea this summer and has appeared in all but one of the Magpies' pre-season fixtures.

The 28-year-old star is favourite to lead out the Geordies at Bolton in Saturday's season-opener and says he has been honoured to skipper the black and whites in the warm-up games.

"It was a huge honour to captain a big club like Newcastle United.

"Of course I would like the job on a full-time basis and I feel I have the qualities to do that.

"But the decision will be the manager's and his decision alone."

Probably why he's not a fan of Parker then.